Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrantP TDR MEMBER

I have owned the '06 in my sig for a long time. During my ownership I have ridden in the back seat exactly zero times. I have noticed that passengers in the past seem to have trouble getting out of the back of the truck. They have to pull up the door lock knob to manually unlock the door before they can get out. I always just thought they weren't pulling the door handle up enough and chalked it up to user error. This recently came up again and I decided to jump in the back seat and try it myself and sure enough, the door will not unlock when you pull up the interior handle. Nearly convinced there's something wrong inside the door I was about to pull off the door panel but tried the other side to see if that worked as expected, it does the same thing. The door will not unlock when the interior door handle is lifted so a passenger can get out.

This is the behavior I would expect with the child safety lock engaged, but the locks behave the same whether it's engaged or not.

I am familiar with the rear door wiring issues and have had to repair/replace both rear door harnesses in the past. The door lock switches, interior lights etc. all work perfectly. My thought is the handle to open the door is completely mechanical. Am I wrong here? Is there an electrical component to the child safety lock? Another broken wire on BOTH sides?

Before I tear into it I just want to make sure this isn't the normal behavior of these doors and there actually isn't anything wrong, just the way it was designed. Thanks all.

GrantP , Aug 16, 2021
  2. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Electrically I don't see any child safety component in the system also in general no difference from front to rear per side.

They are on the same output per side.

Both driver doors are run from the same output.

Both passenger doors are run from the same output.

I don't know anything about the mechanical latch. But the electric part if rear doors unlock when the front doors unlock.

Thats how an 06 is shown for what I have. But will say we found some odd stuff in this system today where it was showing some super old info, as long as it's as simple as picking a 2006 off the list and no mid year change that would affect the above. (Checked 07 as well, same shown)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Timd32 , Aug 16, 2021
    GrantP likes this.
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I meant to check my 18 last night, but I think it's working as it's intended and like my 05 did.

AH64ID , Aug 17, 2021
    GrantP likes this.
  4. MarkEagleUSA TDR MEMBER

My 03 doesn't unlock when the handle is pulled. My 04 Dakota was the same. Manually pull up the lock button or wait for someone to unlock from the front.

The child lock prevents the inner handle from opening the door.

MarkEagleUSA , Aug 17, 2021
    brucejohnson and GrantP like this.
  5. AdamRRT

My rear doors don't automatically unlock when the handle is pulled from the inside. Don't think my front does either. Doesn't seem safe. You have to manually pull up the latch or use the power locks from the front.

AdamRRT , Aug 17, 2021
    GrantP likes this.
  6. GrantP TDR MEMBER

Thanks everyone, seems like this is normal behavior. I think the fact that the front doors will unlock when the handle is pulled had me believing the back should do the same.

My solution/workaround was to disable the automatic door lock feature that locks the doors at 15 mph or so. That will allow passengers to get out without fidgeting with the door lock knob.

Seems like I'm just slowly disabling "features", first was the seat belt dinger, now the door locks. If I can just kill the key in the ignition ding and the reverse honk I'd be all set. They don't bother me much though, maybe in the next 10 years of ownership. :rolleyes:

GrantP , Aug 17, 2021
  7. AdamRRT

I feel you on that. I've had my eye out for an old Bully Dog Triple Dog for cheap so I can change those easily. Rumor has it that AlfaOBD with a bluetooth OBD2 device will allow you to change all those settings.

AdamRRT , Aug 17, 2021