Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Ok this morning my heated steering wheel did not turn on automatically. The heated seats did though. So I went to turn it on manually. When turning it on manually it shows it turns on but only for 3 seconds then the indicator turns back to off. Any ideas or thoughts. It is still under warranty so I know I can take it in but if it is a simple thing I would rather not just such a pita to take it in.

Thanks for any help

BarryG , Dec 30, 2022
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

That happened once on my ‘18. The next start it was back to normal and never happened again. I’m guessing the truck didn’t realize it was installed and had to find it again.

AH64ID , Dec 30, 2022
  3. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Hopefully that is it. While I love the new and improved version of the Ram (price notwithstanding) over my old 01 and even the 17 I had until late last year the technology doesn't seem to be quite perfected yet. Especially the dang center stack specifically the screen and a few other gremlins that have shown up as one offs or temporary over the last 27k miles. Fingers crossed it is another of the one offs

BarryG , Dec 30, 2022
  4. Turbo Terry

I haven’t had any gremlins yet in one year and 12 k. But the 8 inch screen in the center for other than the back camera is very difficult for me to understand.. Even my wife who can usually can figure any thing out can’t really do much with it.

Turbo Terry , Dec 30, 2022
  5. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Well I hope AH64ID was right as I just got back from going to lunch and it came on like it was supposed too. So good news for now

BarryG , Dec 30, 2022
    Ozymandias, AH64ID and Rob S like this.
  6. Axel

Having the some problem right now. My steering wheel also had some resistance in turning and still does. I think mine is related to something inside the steering wheel. Heater was not working then worked and now if you turn it on it turns off in 2 seconds. Have an appointment on the January 6th to get it looked at.
    They will also do recall on tailgate and transmission filler at the same time.

Axel , Dec 30, 2022
  7. Lordsman

Mine works. I try to turn it off and it turns itself back on again. Weird...

Lordsman , Dec 30, 2022
  8. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

It's an intresting system for sure, it's a really nice feature, I've not had one that I ever used prior to my 3500.

From the pages and pages attached.... way too much but feel free to read it over.

For overall function the battery has to be within 11.7v to 15.5v.

The Auto feature works below 40deg F, when enabled via the options on the screen.

They provide some resistance numbers for the actual elements.

If the system works but the light does not the whole display center deal sounds like it goes away.

There are multiple parts and pieces so scan tool is kinda a must for this one.

Attached Files:

Timd32 , Dec 31, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  9. monovasia

I had the steering wheel heater intermittently turn off last year ... occurred for a couple weeks ... one day it came on and worked properly since ... no idea why

monovasia , Dec 31, 2022
  10. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Well not a one off. Again this morning same thing didn’t turn on nor when manually turning it on it would only stay on 3 seconds. Also heated seats didn’t come on but manually turning it on they came on and stayed on.

after coming out of homey depot was in there maybe 15-20 minutes at most the wheel heater did not come on nor was I able to turn it on like yesterday but heated seats did come on

BarryG , Dec 31, 2022
  11. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Yeah sounds like it could be seeing an issue, but they will know pretty quick by connecting up, it's unbelievable how much diagnostic these things have on them!

Here is an example of the one..

B10C4-19-HEATED STEERING WHEEL CONTROL-OVERCURRENT

When Monitored:
    This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

• Engine running.
    • Controller voltage between 9.0 and 16.0 volts.
    • Heated Steering Wheel is turned on.
    Set Conditions:

• Module detects Heated Steering Wheel current above 9.6 amps for more than 2 seconds.
    Default Actions:

• When the Heated Steering Wheel is turned on, the indicator turns on for 2 seconds and turns off.
    • The Heated Steering Wheel output driver will be turned off.
    Possible Causes
    HEATED STEERING WHEEL FEED CIRCUIT OPEN, HIGH RESISTANCE OR SHORTED

HEATED STEERING WHEEL RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN, HIGH RESISTANCE OR SHORTED

HEATED STEERING WHEEL FEED CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE HEATED STEERING WHEEL RETURN CIRCUIT

HEATED STEERING WHEEL (HSW)
    STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE (SCCM)

COMFORT SEAT WHEEL MODULE (CSWM)
    --------------------------

But there are a bunch they all do the same turn it off after 2s.

-----------------------------

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Heated Steering Wheel Control - Over Temperature

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Heated Steering Wheel Control - Overcurrent

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Implausible Heated Steering Wheel Temperature Message Received

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Heated Steering Wheel Control - Circuit Open

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Heated Steering Wheel Control - Circuit Short to Ground

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Heated Steering Wheel Control - Circuit Short to Battery

Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) - Steering Wheel Heater Power Supply Circuit - Circuit Open

Timd32 , Dec 31, 2022
  12. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Timd32 thanks for the info. That convinces me that I am not tearing into it.

Yesterday same thing not working first start. Then second start it did work. Third start didn't work and again this morning first and second start no worky. Will see what happens later when I have to go out.

Might as well have them look at the infotainment screen as well. It has done a host of weird things. Mainly If I get in and drive the truck it will work fine. However if I stop and shutdown for a few minutes it will just be blank as in totally blank. I have found that if it is shutdown long enough it will come back on when I restart. I have not timed it yet as I have just been putting up with it. Seems if it shutdown for say 10 minutes or less it doesn't come on. If it is over again say 10 ten minutes it comes back on fine. Also If it is only shutdown a couple minutes or less it comes back on fine.

Then other times it will come on but the sat radio screen is blank but the other functions show and I can switch to say the comfort screen (or the other options) and that/they will come on fine. Switch back to sat radio and blank. If I switch around enough the sat radio screen will come on.

Oh well dealer here I come at some point in the future.

BarryG , Jan 2, 2023
  13. SSchang

There are a couple different levels of reset for your infotainment screen. I tried the first reset "Reboot" when mine was acting up, it didn't fix it. When I did the "Factory Reset", it fixed my problems.

upload_2023-1-2_11-29-53.png #ad

SSchang , Jan 2, 2023
    Ozymandias and Rob S like this.
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Modern vehicles needs to see the dealer anyway once a year just to keep the electronic up to date.
    After a couple years that stops as they stop providing updates for the older ones anymore.
    Very much like a Cellphone or a Computer.

Ozymandias , Jan 4, 2023
    brucejohnson likes this.