Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandShark

Has anyone had their old style RS9000 Rancho adjustable (5 settings) shocks replaced under warranty. What was your experience?

They were bought from 4WheelParts about 7 years and 100,000 miles ago in another state. I tried to get information on the warranty this weekend, but that section of their (4wheelparts) customer service doesn't work weekends. I'll post again this week when I find out anything.

LandShark , Jul 15, 2007
  2. Hammer TDR MEMBER

Shock Warranties...

A complete and total waste of time and money.

Here is how your warranty call will go so you can brace yourself.

1st-Make your call to the place of purchase so they can tell you its (insert your shock manufacturer here) problem and to contact them

2nd-Call the manufacturer and be told to box the suspect shock(s) up and send them back to be checked for warranty.

3rd-When you ask the manufacturer what your supposed to do in the meantime with no shocks for your ride they reply. . "Well its not our problem and we will not replace any product until we can determine if the failure was due to our product being faulty or not. You will have to (keyword here)PURCHASE a new set of shock in the meantime until we get yours to look at and determine,what,if any,action we need to take.

4th-Figure out for yourself that after buying a new set of shocks to replace your problematic shocks that you are better off and throw the old set away.

It doesn't matter what shelf brand of shocks you have as they are all the same when it comes to warranties and any claims. I know someone locally to me who sent two of his back to bilstein for warranty,(he had to buy two to replace the failed ones),7 months later recieved one back as a warranty replacement.

Its up to you how much you want to deal with and with as cheap as Rancho Shocks are I wouldn't waste the time. Now if you using a good aftermarket shock package(ie-Fox,King,etc etc) then I would pursue to see what the chances are if any to have them exchanged. Good Luck..... Andy

On Edit. .

With having seen 7 years/100,000 miles of abuse they have way out lived their usefullness. To use the old phrase. . You have gotten your moneys worth and then some. .comes to mind but who knows,if you believe in miracles.....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
    Hammer , Jul 16, 2007
  3. ENafziger

I took mine back to PepBoys, and they ordered 4 brand new ones under warranty. You may give them a try... --Eric

ENafziger , Jul 16, 2007
  4. LandShark

After One Day

My first full business day of trying to get warranty service has shown some promise (maybe).

First of all; 4WheelParts is awful to deal with (as I know from other occasions). The 4WheelParts corporate office said they could do nothing because their older records are archived and not available (why bother to archive then?). They told me to call the store where the purchase was made (in June 2000). I called their Austin, TX store and was told that their older records were also not available, but that in any case because of the age of the shocks, they must be worn out and they were not warrantied against wearing out. They also stated they 'if' they were to warranty the shocks, I would have to pay the difference between what I paid and what they now retail for. What a crock!

I then called Rancho Warranty Service. They said the shocks were in fact warrantied against wear out and I should just take them to any Rancho dealer for replacement. I then called my local Ranch dealer (Westbay Autoparts in Port Townsend, WA) and they told me to bring them in. After driving 15 miles to their store I was told they would not warranty anything that they did not sell!

Once again I called Rancho Warranty Service. I was told that since there were no other dealers close by, they would take care of it if I would send them a copy of the original receipt. I scanned the receipt and emailed it to them and am now waiting for a reply. I'll let you know.

Hammer: I don't consider this a minor expense. New Ranchos are over $100 each. I paid a premium price for Ranchos partly for their lifetime warranty. There was no mention that wearing them out was not covered. The only exclusion is for "finish, including shock boot".

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
    LandShark , Jul 16, 2007
  5. DieselDoghouse

A problem may arise if the shocks moved across state lines (as a retail item) because you haffta coordinate attorneys general (yes thats correct). Within a state like mass it generally goes like this: lifetime warranty of a part is not exempt from wearing out unless this was specified at the initial sale in writing. Because of this I have had my edelbrocks replaced twice this way due to mileage - charged to my card until the 'defective' part returned, then credit issued net cost = zero. States vary on how intensively they enforce lifetime warranty claims. Best of luck hope it all works out.

DieselDoghouse , Jul 16, 2007
  6. Hammer TDR MEMBER

I understand that and what your dealing with trying to get this done. I had paid a premium price for my Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks(around 100 a piece at the time) and had two leaking and one which wouldn't rebound. They also have a "lifetime" warranty and to this day I have never gotten the first set back and the set I had on afterwards(the ones I had to buy to get the other warrantied) are long gone and being used on a friends pulling truck. Their definition of "lifetime" warranty and ours are way different and you have to keep that in mind. I am still out the cost of shipping them back and the price of the new ones yet today.

Again,as I have said,as cheap as shocks are today I would never waste my time again,just wear them out,toss them and replace them with new ones. I was not trying to upset you just mearely trying to prepare you for what you had happen already. You will have better chance at hitting the lottery than getting them replaced... ... ... Andy

Hammer , Jul 17, 2007
  7. jeepit

I would just buy a new set of shocks after 7 years and 100,000 miles of use...

jeepit , Jul 17, 2007
  8. NVR FNSH

I contacted Rancho directly after getting the run-around from local dealers - the lower eye broke off the shock body on my '85 Toyota. Shocks were ~15 years old. The warranty is lifetime.

Rancho sent me 4 brand new shocks. I had the original receipt (my dad is anal). I might even have the contact info for the lady I spoke with.

NVR FNSH , Jul 17, 2007
  9. NoSeeUm

Yeah, thats what I would do if the parts house bluffs, guffs and tries to tuff you. You might have to work through Rancho a bit, but they have came through for me every time.

As a value added bonus my wife is a "Pit Bull" about warrantees and rebates. I despice messing with them, but my wife loves to do it. Once she latches on its over for them. So it is very easy for me.

I just say "Hey Honey, can you help me with this?". :)

Jim

NoSeeUm , Jul 18, 2007
  10. HGreen

I had some Rancho's on a Ford I owned, got them from Sears. I wore out the lower bushings, went back to Sears, they made good on the warrenty, but they had to have the old shocks to order the replacements. They removed the shocks, and left me to drive home. Don't ever try to drive with no shocks. Lucky I had to only go a few miles, I won't ever do that again.

HGreen , Jul 18, 2007
  11. LandShark

Good news! I think. Got a email from Rancho this morning and they are processing my warranty claim. I'll let you know when I know more.

I'm a bit suprised that there are some who think that a 'lifetime warranty' is less than 'lifetime' (or 100,000 miles or whatever) if they think I got my moneys worth. I project that the lifetime of my truck will be about 500,000 miles or maybe 20 years. My Ranchos only lasted about 1/5 of a lifetime in my view. If a company wants to warranty a product for 100,000 miles or untill worn out or for 5 minutes, that's their right. When they put a 'lifetime' warranty on a product they need to be prepared to deal with customers who have high expectations.

So far I'm very happy with how Rancho has handled this. Not so much with their dealers.

LandShark , Jul 19, 2007
  12. dresslered

Good news on your warrantee issue. I have heard others having problems with the Rancho warrantee--especially the one's that aren't using the incab adjuster because it is a difference between a rubber and a cardboard gasket. I too have the Rancho 9000's and will have to deal with this someday. I've never had a problem replacing Bilsteins under their warrantee.

dresslered , Jul 22, 2007
  13. LandShark

My Rancho warranty replacement shocks show up yesterday via UPS. Less than a week after they processed my claim. Not bad. Thanks to Rancho corporate for the fast service. Thumbs down to 4WheelParts (Austin, TX store) for once again being of no help on a warranty claim.

LandShark , Jul 26, 2007
  14. FLynes

Hammer, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I only paid $57 per shock from Summit for my Rancho RSX's, but Lifetime means Lifetime to me. Call me a penny pincher, but if that $228 can get me 3 tanks of fuel, instead of a new set of shocks, you can bet I'm holding Rancho to the fire to honor my lifetime warranty. I'm a SSG in the Army and make squat as it is already. Every penny counts in this house, especially with two growing kids!

Landshark, glad to see that Rancho took care of you. I'm moving to San Angelo next week, and you can bet that 4WheelParts in Austin isn't going to get any of my business.

FLynes , Jul 27, 2007
  15. kcv67

Land shark I am in the same position you were in. I bought my shocks through 4 wheel parts over the phone. They now have 100,000 miles on them.

Could you email the phone# for rancho warrany?

Casey

kcv67 , Jul 27, 2007
  16. SummitRoofs

LandShark i am with you on this issue. to me it is not about wether you have gotten your moneys worth.

The issue is on advertisement and what the company you buy from commits to in order to make more sales.

SummitRoofs , Jul 28, 2007