Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM TDR MEMBER

What is a good choice for a diesel lubricity additive?

2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Nothing IMHO. Before all the emissions I would use clean used oil, 2 cycle oil or fuel conditioner. The emissions systems don't like oil so I think it would be hard to make something that does any good that does not F with the emission systems. I am sure others will disagree but I didn't use a thing on my 11 or current 15. I simply use quality MOPAR, Fleetguard and Racor filters to keep my fuel CLEAN.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 22, 2022
    brucejohnson, NIsaacs and monovasia like this.
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I don't use one often, but when I do it's Amsoil Diesel Concentrate or Amsoil All-In-One (concentrate, cetane, cold flow).

AH64ID , Nov 22, 2022
  4. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Here are a couple, though there are many.

The TDR did an article on Amalgamated many years ago. I used it for many years and never had an issue ever. On my 24 valve it made a noticeable difference in noise. Originally it was hard to get ie 55 gallon drum or five gallon pail) but they have made it easier over the years to get to the point now you just order it up on their website and can get a variety of sizes and flavors
    https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/products/classic-tdr-premium-diesel-fuel-additives

While I have never used Optilube it is thought of quite highly at least from a lubrication standpoint. I don't recall hearing much about it s other properties it also comes in a variety of flavors and sizes.
    https://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-additives/

There was a published test many years ago that showed the lubricity of perhaps 15 or 20 additives lubricity. Most of them did very little, some actually made the lubricity worse and some were good IIRC optilube was if not the best one, one of the top ones for lubricity though they did not test all the brands out there including amalgamated but it was enlightening that some of the so called tried and true ones/methods were not so good.

I think htis is a copy of the testing
    https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

One thing of note
    for example Power Service (just using them as an example not the only ones) probably one of the better known ones and certainly very easy to get publishes numbers on the bottle and also publishes treat rates but when you read the fine print it pretty much says you will have to double dose to get maximum use out of the product. Well that kind of cuts the treat rate in half so the $ per gallon of treatment is significantly higher than you are led to believe making it not as economical as you would be led to believe. I have used power service and have no real complaints against it except for that.

BarryG , Nov 22, 2022
    06 Dodge likes this.
  5. John Jensen

Hotshot's has an excellent fuel additive with lubricity

John Jensen , Nov 22, 2022
    Diesel Gunner likes this.
  6. JPM TDR MEMBER

I thought I read somewhere that it was a good idea to use something that increases the lubricity of the fuel nowadays?

7. SSchang

Here's actual testing of several products. The wear test starts at 3:44. Hot Shots Secret, Amsoil, and Stanadyne did the best.

SSchang , Nov 22, 2022
    monovasia likes this.
  8. Flinty

I use Stanadyne performance formula every tank. A friend of mine put 350,000 miles on a set of injectors in an 06. His regimen consisted of OEM filters regularly changed and Stanadyne in every tank. I also have a 97 12v with 550k on the original injectors and a 98 12v with 325K. Also used Howes for a time in a 93. YMMV...

Flinty , Nov 22, 2022
  9. JLandry TDR MEMBER

From the “Fuel Requirements“ section in the owner's manual:

“Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of your diesel engine.”​

JLandry , Nov 22, 2022
    brucejohnson, GrantP, NIsaacs and 2 others like this.
  10. John Jensen

And those who followed that statement are probably the ones who had pump failures. It's been proven that USA fuel is not up to the standards of European fuel for which the CP4.2 pump was designed.

TRAMPLINEMAN and 06 Dodge like this.
  11. Turbo Terry

Total Power FPPF. Total fuel additive. I mostly just run it in the winter for the anti gel. I think Amsoil and Stanadyne all good products

Turbo Terry , Nov 22, 2022
  12. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Power Service in the winter months here. When the winter blend hits, PS goes into the tank. Just part of having a CTD under the hood!

Topzide , Nov 22, 2022
  13. JLandry TDR MEMBER

The OP's signature indicates he has a 2017 model year truck, which means a Bosch CP3 injection pump.

JLandry , Nov 22, 2022
    brucejohnson and NIsaacs like this.
  14. John Jensen

Yep!

15. MConyers

So, go with a fuel pumps that has lasted with US fuel until now, add lubricity, or get both?

MConyers , Nov 22, 2022
  16. monovasia

I never used any in my truck... just maintain it to factory or earlier intervals

monovasia , Nov 23, 2022
    brucejohnson likes this.
  17. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I ran some Optilube when I had the CP4.2... but now that its gone, I see no need to do anything other than maintain the service interval on filters and continue to buy fuel from the high volume dealer Ive been using for the past decade or so.

bcbender , Nov 23, 2022
  18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

How many 4th gen injector issues do you hear about?

Cummins12V98 , Nov 23, 2022
  19. Turbo Terry

Some folks don’t have fuel gelling issues. Don’t know if I could live like that. Happy Thanksgiving

Turbo Terry , Nov 23, 2022
  20. gtwitch

I have had fuel gelling issues here in Wyoming and since that I have used Power Service at a suggestion from brother in law and no issues since but when Winter comes here in Wyoming, I have found that if enough questions are asked, you can find who sells Blended Fuel and that helps also. Just some history of my asking about this issue.
    gtwitch in wyoming

gtwitch , Nov 23, 2022