Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steely

I have a 2016 ram 3500 with 50,000 miles that I use to haul a truck camper and pull a heavy boat. I drive up and down the same grade fairly often. Sometimes the engine brake works, other times it doesn’t. This issue has been going on for about a year and it never throws any codes or has any other symptoms. The truck is all stock with a 68RFE transmission. I pulled the exhaust gas pressure sensor the other day and it looked clean and the tube looked clear. Without any engine codes I’m not sure what direction to go, has anybody seen anything like this before?

Steely , Dec 9, 2022
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Are you in TH?

The TQ converter has to be locked for the EB to actuate, so a tool that shows TQ, VGT position, and exhaust back pressure may be a good start.

There is an edge CTS2 in the classifieds.

AH64ID , Dec 9, 2022
  3. Steely

Yes I am in TH with engine brake in the orange setting.

Steely , Dec 9, 2022
  4. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Mine did that when my Turbo actuator was going out. No codes and it was intermittent.

Have you noticed any intermittent boost problems?

kthaxton , Dec 9, 2022
    Cummins12V98 likes this.
  5. Steely

I haven’t noticed any performance problems, I haven’t been paying attention to boost numbers.

Steely , Dec 9, 2022
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Actuator

Cummins12V98 , Dec 9, 2022
  7. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

I'd keep your eyes on it, or maybe even just take it to the dealer to have it checked out (may be an issue with no code however)...they just extended the warranty on this specific part....if that is your problem, you very well could get it replaced under this extended warranty.

kthaxton , Dec 9, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  8. Steely

That’s good advice, I will take it in and see what the dealer has to say. Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully it is the actuator and I can get it resolved.

Steely , Dec 9, 2022
  9. Walker111

My 16' has been like this since I owned it, for the past 100k miles its always done this. Like AH64ID said, certain parameters have to be met before it engages, I've always chocked it up as that.

Walker111 , Dec 9, 2022
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Was the extension for more than the 2015's?

Cummins12V98 , Dec 9, 2022
  11. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I thought my 2018 was intermittent too. What I noticed is unless I got to about 30 mph it didn't work. And if I slowed using the EB to where it turned off you had to be on the throttle to 30 mph for it to work again. I also found it worked better in auto than in full. It has done it since new so I assume it is just the way it works.

sag2 , Dec 10, 2022
  12. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Oh yeah forgot that so far it was 15 only. I haven't heard otherwise.

kthaxton , Dec 10, 2022
    Cummins12V98 likes this.