Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MojaveJoe

I have the basic AM/FM CD player in my SLT. Starting to sound old when you turn up the volume. Thinking about upgrading the speakers and stereo. Don't need much, just AM/FM, and bluetooth. Maybe GPS? Will install myself if easy enough. Want to get in the dash and change out all the backlights with new bulbs anyway (some gone now).
    Any and all suggestions, advice or opinions welcome.

MojaveJoe , Nov 23, 2019
  2. Prairie Dog

Not cheap but I installed the Pioneer Avic 8200NEX. It does everything! You can even load images to be shown during boot-up or as backgorund during other functions.
    Booting up while starting the truck:
    [​IMG]#ad

GPS screen:
    [​IMG]#ad

It also has forward and reverse camera inputs and does anything the modern factory units do.
    You do have to buy a new bezel to allow for a full double din footprint but I think the results are very nice.
    I like this GPS a lot better than the 8.4" unit in our other FCA product.

Scott

Prairie Dog , Nov 24, 2019
  3. Wiredawg

I installed a 2din Pioneer AM/FM/CD media bluetooth in my neice's 2003 from Ebay. came with installation kit new faceplate and all for a little over $200. Ebay and Amazon are your friend.

EDIT: be sure to google year make of your truck to ensure you pull up with installation kit.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Nov 24, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  4. Wiredawg

Might add, unless you want more fancy dancy features on the radio, Upgrade the speakers first, nice Kickers on Amazon front and rear, and see how you like that.

I just repurposed a 2003 Ram OEM AM/FM/CD/cassette unit with those Kickers. a ~$100 Pyle 4 channel 4Kwatt, ok actually around 250 watts/channel and ~$100 Boss 1200W powered sub in my 1978 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck and it sounds as good as my wifes 2019 Ram Harmon Kardon premiere system.

Whatever you do, put some Fat Mat Extreme or similar product inside and on the metal of the doors while upgrading speakers.

Keep us informed what you do.

Cheers, Ron

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Wiredawg , Nov 24, 2019
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I also went with a double DIN Pioneer unit. If you go that way make sure to use the right p-n-p Harness for your vehicle. Avoid to cut the OEM Harness.
    I went with these https://axxessinterfaces.com/ and everything works as desired, steering wheel controls, AMP, Fader, etc. All good that one read often about problems in the forums with aftermarket devices.

CHTO-02
    ASWC-1

Ozymandias , Nov 24, 2019
  6. Wayne M.

To the guys who did a double din radio in a 3 gen, is there any hacking needed in the dash? Or does the new face plate do the job?

Wayne M. , Nov 25, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  7. Wiredawg

Wayne,

Might could have made it work with stock faceplate, but SO easy with the updated one. It's a nice package deal... head unit, faceplate, and adapter plug.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Nov 25, 2019
  8. Wayne M.

Understood, ron, about the faceplate. I’m asking if anything behind the dash like bracing or a divider has to be cut up?

Wayne M. , Nov 25, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  9. Wiredawg

Copy, it helps getting the proper brackets with the kit, otherwise you might be modifying radio brackets.

It was really cool getting the complete package for such a good price.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Nov 25, 2019
  10. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

Do these units have the capability to tie into the OEM satellite radio?

CVR222NV , Nov 25, 2019
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I highly recommend going double DIN and getting something with CarPlay.

Other than that it's just user preference on options like Satellite, backup camera, remote mic, etc.

AH64ID , Nov 25, 2019
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Hi Wayne
    Yes you need to cut out a little piece from a plastic framing below the OEM Radio. Can be done with a cutter or an iron saw blade. Easy.
    It's not a structural part that is cut.

Ozy

Ozymandias , Nov 25, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  13. MojaveJoe

WOW...I never expected so much help...Thanks Loads guys!!!
    Wondering if I will have to paint the adapter face? Mine is sorta black?

MojaveJoe , Nov 25, 2019
  14. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog , Nov 25, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  15. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

There are several painted options out there, check eBay and Amazon for it.
    I have a silver one like OEM, but i also have to say that the cutout in the otherwise fine part was 1/16 to narrow and i had to file it bigger to make the face of the radio protrude through it.
    Not a big deal but i want to mention this little issue.

Edit says, hopefully the products today are better in form and fitment as a couple years ago, if i see @Prairie Dog install thats just perfect in every sight.

20170626_162802.jpg #ad

Check the angle of my radio, to achieve this i had to cut the inner dash.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Ozymandias , Nov 25, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  16. Wiredawg

OK, the one I bought for my neice replaced the center plastic piece, matched the OEM, didn't require any painting, cutting, etc. turnkey. Only thang you do have to do is splice the wires for the new radio to the provided jack that plugs into the trucks wiring. The only easier it it gets is if someone does it for you.

Screenshot_20191125-155455_Google.jpg #ad

This is a nice setup and upgrade those speakers and it's amazing.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Nov 25, 2019
    HPSimpson and Ozymandias like this.
  17. User113 TDR MEMBER

I would recommend that you avoid getting a replacement radio with GPS unless you make sure that it has a good interface and that regularly updated maps are easily available at reasonable prices. I have a TomTom with lifetime maps for when I don't have data service, and when I do have service, I use waze on my phone and play it through my bluetooth, but Apple's CarPlay or Android Auto would work well also.

User113 , Dec 10, 2019
  18. Prairie Dog

There's a dirty little secret to those "Free Lifetime Updates". Your device has a finite amount of memory in it and even though they promise updates, eventually you run out of memory and simply can't do any more.

Prairie Dog , Dec 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  19. MojaveJoe

Well, I upgraded to a Kenwood DMX9706S had a backup camera installed and new speakers.
    My biggest problem now, besides learning how to use this thing, is upgrading my phone so I can use Android Auto wirelessly. Will update my status when that happens. So far Real Good....liking the Radio.

MojaveJoe , Dec 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  20. User113 TDR MEMBER

I must admit, the Kenwood DMX9706S is one that I am considering. I like the Wireless Mirroring idea. Hopefully you will report back on how well it fulfills you needs once you figure it all out.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    User113 , Dec 11, 2019