1. Blakers

I know this was discussed many times in the past, but a search didn't find anything. My 05 still has the original exhaust and muffler, but the muffler is starting to get a hole rusted in the bottom, and I'm sure it's not going to last a long time here in Pennsylvania.

I like it nice and quiet, but want to replace the exhaust (cat back) with something stainless. Any recommendations? I had a Diamond Eye from Summit Racing on my 03. Stainless and is still good, but it's a little louder than stock. And Summit doesn't carry them anymore.

Blakers , Apr 26, 2024
  2. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

I thought a Banks Monster exhaust would be cool, but it was WAY too loud. Then I tried putting a resonator in front of it, still too loud (drone) so I went with the Donaldson M090544 (51") and love it. No drone towing at all.

Here is a thread on it showing what it looks like.
    https://www.turbodieselregister.com...rience-donaldson-m090544.265417/#post-2566257

and another thread
    https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/new-to-me-06.274264/#post-2720805

bigceltic , Apr 26, 2024
    CVR222NV and Blakers like this.
  3. Crunch

Since your original muffler lasted 20 years, why not go stainless on the pipe, but replace the muffler with an OEM muffler? I've been impressed with how quiet the OEM is on my '03, and it's still in great shape, other than some farm dents from rocks.

Crunch , Apr 26, 2024
  4. Blakers

It lasted 20 years in Florida where my truck came from. The exhaust on my 03 lasted about five years in Pennsylvania before the seam weld rusted from one end to the other.

Blakers , Apr 26, 2024
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Why not keep the OEM until it's gone? I still run the OEM pipes under mine.
    Most people that change the exhaust want it loud, the other way around the demand is very little.
    More quiet then OEM is probably impossible.

Btw: my muffler had a hole drilled at the far end of to let the condensate drain.

Ozymandias , Apr 26, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  6. Blakers

Oh I’m not changing it immediately, but am researching what to get when I need to. It’s got a hole in the bottom about 3/4” x 2”. I might be able to braze a patch over it.

Blakers , Apr 27, 2024
    Ozymandias likes this.
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I ran a Flo-Pro 819NM exhaust with a Donaldson M090544 and really liked the sound, and it was very quiet.

AH64ID , Apr 27, 2024
    bigceltic and Blakers like this.
  8. Regcabguy

Nothing's quieter than OEM. I had a high flo muffler for 10K and returned to a stock one. The muffler guy said I'd take a huge hit in performance and mpg. I can't feel the difference and the mpg are the same.

Regcabguy , Apr 27, 2024
  9. Blakers

That Donaldson is expensive.

Blakers , Apr 27, 2024
    promisedland likes this.
  10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Just looked for the first time since buying one, and wow.

The best place to buy them was Ryder Fleet Products, but it appears they are no longer in business.

AH64ID , Apr 27, 2024
  11. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

Yeah that is where I got mine as well and I don't recall it being THAT expensive. Dang!

bigceltic , Apr 27, 2024
    AH64ID likes this.
  12. NIsaacs

I went with a Walker/Napa 22936. It crosses over from the Donaldson MO90544. Price is $127. Be advised, it is for a Mack:D

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXH22936

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

NIsaacs , Apr 28, 2024
  13. MBuechle

I have the 51” Donaldson with 5” in and out, quiet inside, a little raspy Still outside. Much better than the 5” turbo back alone. That had a wicked drone at 70 mph! If I had a cat it would prolly be close to stock. I want to say $90ish shipped from Ryder FS. Sad to here they’re no longer around. It’s a big sucker! As I recall they had a 30ish in version of the same muffler in their catalogue.

MBuechle , Apr 28, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  14. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

5" exhausts on the 5.9 are almost always too large and are known to drone. Unless you're making over 700 rwhp a 4" exhaust is a better option for sound and performance, but many people like the look of a 5" TBE.

AH64ID , Apr 28, 2024
    promisedland, bcbender and Blakers like this.
  15. MBuechle

Was on it when I bought it. I agree, I would have gone 4 and kept the converter.

MBuechle , Apr 28, 2024
    Blakers and AH64ID like this.
  16. User113 TDR MEMBER

The Mopar muffler (52121604AA) is actually more than the Donaldson M090544.

User113 , Apr 28, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  17. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

On the plus side, the factory one is p-n-p, no welding, cutting or fabricating involved.
    With roughly just 100$ apart I'd go with the factory one.

Ozymandias , Apr 28, 2024
  18. Blakers

That price is not bad. I had a 4" Mack muffler on my 03 for several years. It was a shorty one (12-16") and worked, but was a little louder than I would like today in my older age. I still have it, but the end flanges are rusting off. The muffler is fine and new ends could be welded on.

I'd really like to get a stainless aftermarket system as nothing else holds up long around here. I bought a stainless Diamond Eye turbo back for my 03 in 2014, and it's still good.

Blakers , May 6, 2024
  19. Blakers

Well my muffler just broke off at both ends today! I thought it would last until winter. Time to order a new one!

Blakers , Jun 17, 2024
    promisedland likes this.
  20. Blakers

Blakers , Jun 17, 2024