1. jltcasper3 TDR MEMBER

I have installed rear headrests in my 98 quad cab, haven't seen anybody do this and no info about it. Did this because of the kids riding back there and they are getting to big for car seats now. There heads would hit the glass in an accident. The car seats also take up so much room witch there isn't much as you know. Here is what i did:

-headrest are out of 09-18 truck is what the ebay ad said, mine are black leather, they come in many different options.
    -First take the rear seat out, there are 2 bolts each side under the seat then lift up and remove. remove the seat cover to expose the foam.
    -The seat frame is maybe 1 inch round tube bonded inside foam, See attached pictures. Perform your measurements to find center of all 3 positions.
    -For attaching the headrests, you will not be able to get the posts in the seats like the new trucks have for adjustability, the seats just aren't thick enough to do so. How i did it these are not adjustable.
    -I drilled through the tube both sides top and bottom for a bolt with the head cut off to make the mounting studs. thread it for 5/16 both sides of the tube, thread in the studs and red Loctite in till the threads bottom out. Pay carful attention of the angle you drill at.
    -Cut off the headrest posts to your desired height. You will have to drill out the inside of the headrest posts where the notches are for the studs to pass thru. Then drill and tap for a 10-24 set screw, these are what will hold them to the studs in the seat.
    -reinstall seat cover making tiny incisions on the cover where the studs poke out.
    -the headrest touch the rear windows when the seat is down. they work great i think.
    -Note i have also moved the center counsel forward for more leg room for the middle seat, this works great for the 4th gen counsel i put in too.
    -Next is to put in leather interior

IMG_0605.JPG #ad

IMG_0606.JPG #ad

IMG_0607.JPG #ad

IMG_0608.JPG #ad

IMG_0609.JPG #ad

IMG_0610.JPG #ad

IMG_0611.JPG #ad

IMG_0613.JPG #ad

IMG_0614.JPG #ad

IMG_0615.JPG #ad

IMG_0617.JPG #ad

IMG_0618.JPG #ad

IMG_0620.JPG #ad

IMG_0621.JPG #ad

IMG_0622.JPG #ad

jltcasper3 , Apr 22, 2024
  2. 2Farr TDR MEMBER

looks good.

2Farr , May 4, 2024
  3. Chief USA TDR MEMBER

VERY nice looking AND professional looking job on the headrests and interior. Looks like a new truck inside. Do the head rest interfere much with you rear view mirror vision seeing things behind you?

Chief USA , May 4, 2024
  4. jltcasper3 TDR MEMBER

i mean a little but its fine and when i pull my fifth wheel it doesn't matter.

jltcasper3 , May 5, 2024