1. BILLVO

Found this and was shocked to find out I have been doing it wrong for over 25 years. :eek:

Barrel Break-in

BILLVO , Nov 13, 2009
  2. GHarman

A couple of additional tips. Some folks recommend removing the brush at the muzzle and NOT drawing it back through the bore. Replacing the brush at the bore guide and reinserting it through the chamber. DO NOT reverse a brush inside the barrel. Be careful how you draw the cleaning rod back through the bore, the rifling at the muzzle (crown) and the throat are vulnerable to misalignment during the cleaning process. If you use SWEETS solvent, do NOT let it sit in a Stainless Steel Barrel! It will etch Stainless Steel! The active ingredient is Ammonia, which attacks the Stainless Steel after it desolves copper fouling. In a Chrome Moly barrel, Sweets works great with little or no etching issues. I use Butchs Bore Shine, Shooters Choice, Wipeout and Kroil as my preferred bore cleaners on Stainless Steel. I use Sweets, Kroil and Butches Boreshine on Chrome Molybdenum barrels, depending on the level of fouling. Sinclair International Specializing in Reloading Supplies and Equipment for Firearms - Sinclair International and Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA are a good source of cleaning tools and chemicals. GregH

GHarman , Nov 13, 2009
  3. GHarman

Forgot to mention that lubricating the bolt can mean a light coat of oil on the bolt body or grease on the locking lugs. I lube the bolt body lightly, once, before a shooting session. The locking lugs get a dab of automotive moly grease on the locking surfaces to keep them from gauling during the operation of the bolt in lockup with a fired case. Stainless Steel actions are particularly vulnerable to locking lug gauling. It does not take much grease, just a dab on the leading edge which will distribute itself when operating the bolt. GregH

GHarman , Nov 13, 2009
  4. GHarman

GHarman , Nov 15, 2009
  5. BILLVO

Good info,

Do a search on that site for "Richard Schatz" I used to work with him for several years. He holds several world records in the 600 and 1000 meter shoots with a little 6 Dashur rifle that evereyone said he was nuts for shooting a small caliber that far in long range but he has single handedly changed long range shooting forever with his succes. :eek:

BILLVO , Nov 15, 2009