1. Archive

The following is a news item that appeared in the Cummins Engine Hompepage, In the News Section. I thought it interesting the part about the B series with the Allison 1000 Series transmission. I know it's aimed at the RV market, but how about us "pullers"?

Are you listening DC?? Why can't they do something like this for us? Hmmm? Could it be that GM told the Dodge Boys to go build their own automatic transmission--we're saving ours for the new (super duty?) Chev/GMC pickups with the diesel engine in the fall of 2000???

CUMMINS. IN THE NEWS.

CUMMINS ANNOUNCES NEW ISB 260 RATING.

DEVELOPED IN TANDEM WITH NEW ALLISON 1000 SERIES TRANSMISSION, ISB 260 OFFERS PERFORMANCE, RELIABILITY OF DIESEL AT GAS ENGINE PRICE.

COLUMBUS, Ind. (Aug. 31, 1999) - Cummins Engine Co. Inc. has announced a new rating for the ISB engine - the ISB 260 - offering drivers in the recreational vehicle (RV) market, as well as school bus, emergency vehicle/ambulance and step-van markets, premium performance under any condition.

The ISB 260 has been specially designed to maximize the performance capability of Allison Transmission's 1000 series, offering the top limit torque - 550 lb-ft.

"This offers our RV customers the performance, fuel economy and reliability associated with diesels in a package that is close in price to a gasoline chassis," said Director - Cummins RV Market Kevin Goen. "The package will not only offer an affordable alternative for gasoline customers, but also will be popular for diesel owners who do not want to drive a 40-footer. "

The ISB, a 24-valve, fully electronic six-cylinder diesel engine, provides customers with outstanding, affordable performance and longer maintenance intervals - up to15,000 miles (24,140 km) for oil change and filter change intervals and never requires any overhead adjustment. In addition to being a fuel economy leader, other features include faster acceleration, easy starting in cold weather, high resale value and electronics to make servicing the engine simpler.

Allison 1000's five-speed overdrive system uses electronic logic to ensure the engine operates in the most fuel-efficient rpm range, meaning better fuel economy and improved exhaust brake performance over prior transmission models. It also includes a parking pawl that can hold the full vehicle weight and an integrated PTO provision that can eliminate the need to add complex clutch pump systems to drive auxiliary equipment.

The ISB was Cummins first entry in the Interact™ System of products - an innovative engineering platform that combines electronic engine controls with high-pressure fuel injection and high-strength components.

The ISB was built for all 4x2 straight truck applications and typical 4x2 tractor applications with weights up to 52,000 lb GCW.

"This engine truly does it all," Goen said. "The Interact System uses advanced technology to deliver information to the driver, owner, service technician, dispatcher - virtually anyone who wants to know what's happening with the engine. "

The ISB is manufactured in the U. S. at the engine assembly plant in Columbus, Ind.

All motor home manufacturers who use Cummins engines have shown an interest in this new ISB rating. Contact your preferred manufacturer for availability in their product line.

Cummins Engine Co. Inc. is the world's largest producer of 200+ hp diesel engines. Based in Columbus, Ind. , Cummins is also a leading manufacturer of alternative fuel engines, diesel engine components, service products and power systems. In 1998, Cummins reported record sales of $6. 3 billion.

# # #

Top of News

Please send any questions to [email protected], call us at 1-800-DIESELS (1-800-343-7357) or fax us at 1-800-232-6393.

©1999 Cummins Engine Company, Inc. , Box 3005, Columbus, IN 47202-3005 U. S. A. - 8. 31. 99

------------------
    97,3500,CC,4x2, Auto, 4. 10LSD, All Options incl Leather, PacBrake, 3 Pos Lockup Switch, PrimeLoc, Jardine 4" Cat-Back Exhaust, 45 Gal. RPM Aux Fuel Tank, Mag-Hytec Covers, Painless Wiring Kit, Reese 20K Hitch, 80% Towing 12,000+LB 5th Wheel

Archive , Sep 9, 1999
  2. Archive

the truth is that allison was working with Dodge to help develop a new trans. the last news i heard was 6 months ago. that they were at a design stand still. Between the weight and amount of power that the trans robbed--no improvement to a higher horsepower rating was made. And the cost for no true improvement would not be cost effective.

Archive , Sep 9, 1999
  3. Archive

CMECHANIC,

Were you at the TDR Rally last month? If you were, did you hear the Dodge rep "slip-up" and say we would have an automatic that would be able to compatable an exhaust brake in the near future? That's the way they answered a question from our group(blue) in the seminars. Have you seen anything in the tests you have been involved in?

The Dodge guys standard answer is "we can't discuss future product at this time" which I understand. Discussing and speculating on future product would cause all kind so problems including tipping off the competition.

Thanks, Bill

------------------
    97,3500,CC,4x2, Auto, 4. 10LSD, All Options incl Leather, PacBrake, 3 Pos Lockup Switch, PrimeLoc, Jardine 4" Cat-Back Exhaust, 45 Gal. RPM Aux Fuel Tank, Mag-Hytec Covers, Painless Wiring Kit, Reese 20K Hitch, 80% Towing 12,000+LB 5th Wheel

Archive , Sep 11, 1999
  4. Archive

No i didn't know about the DC Rep"s comments or attend they rally. Just knew that things got quiet aroung the Gm/allison test track and Dodge test track about 6 months ago; and there was a design problem that would make the transmission not worth the price "IT USED ALL THE UP-RATE POWER WE SENT IT". I don't know if this was a smoke screen to send Dodge in a circles. Just think that it's funny ( NOT HA!< HA!)that they already had one developed and it may take Dodge 1 1/2 years to get a new automatic transmission developed in order to compete with higher horsepower ratings of the CHEVY PROJECT : that will be coming out in about a year. --just real strange turn of events in the past 6 months

Archive , Sep 11, 1999
  5. Archive

CMECHANIC,

While we're on the subject of future product, have you seen anything on the Aisin automatic transmission that Freightliner is beginning to use?

It's advertised to "be engineered compatable with the ISB electronics" and is the "smoothest shifting, lightest weight of automatics in its class".
    I'm sure the class they are talking about is the new 1000 Series from Allison.

I presume Freightliner is using it in its Business class because of the limited production capacity of Allison and the large backlog of orders at Allison. If they want to sell more Business Class trucks with automatics, they must have another supplier, since with Allison they are limited to Allison's production schedule. To a truck manufacturer, or all of the manufacturers, you gotta have the numbers to make a profit.

Of course it doesn't hurt to put a little pressure on Allison by letting them know they aren't the only automatic "on the block" either.

Bill

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill Stockard (edited 09-12-1999). ]

Archive , Sep 12, 1999
  6. Archive

No, i have not seen anyother transmission in use. But, i don't know if they have been on "information lock-down". I know that our engineers have not stopped out here on the way to the test track (if they have been out there)On the other hand, if this transmission has already been approved on the B-series; they would already have all the information they need. I only knew about the Allison trans, because it was in developement, and our engineers where out here to run test and help gather data

Archive , Sep 12, 1999