Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhenderson

The steering pump on my 15 has been growing a little louder and now from time to time it grumbles as if it’s low on fluid. I’ve flushed the system with no change. It’s obviously time for a pump. What’s got me wondering is my dealer says both the reman and new pumps are on back order til the end of January. Has there been a run on these things I haven’t heard about ? Has anybody gone aftermarket for a reman?

jhenderson , Dec 29, 2019
  2. JR

I don't know about the gen 4 but on the older trucks there is a fine mesh screen at the inlet of the pump. Mine plugged off on my 98 causing cavitation. At first it just happened when the fluid was cold but got more consistent as time went on. I haven't looked closely, but if the inlet of the pump on the gen 4 has a separate fitting that the hose threads into there could well be one in there.
    I've also seen some vehicles with the screens on the bottom side of the reservoir. May be worth checking out if your having problems sourcing one.

3. nukegm

comrade - slightly off topic regarding year of truck - in my 01 2500 i flushed power steering pump and added a bottle of " BG steering conditioner " im usually not a additive person, but that stuff worked night and day. no more noise. in my opinion, every reman starter, alternator, and steering pump i have bought from the chain stores are junk. buy new if possible. cheers comrade!

nukegm , Dec 29, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  4. JR

Just for reference, this is off a gen 2 pump. Pressure hose threads into the fitting on the right.

25501PowerSteeringParts.jpg #ad

Wiredawg, HPSimpson and nukegm like this.
  5. jhenderson

I would be inclined to agree that it’s screen plugged except for the fact the problem seems more likely to occur after some time and miles. It’s my experience that plugged screens cause more problems when the fluid is cold. Since it’s with warm fluid I’m going to go with the vanes being worn and not keeping up with demand from time to time. I still don’t understand the National back order when I haven’t seen or heard of any real number of failures.

jhenderson , Dec 30, 2019
  6. NIsaacs

Rock Auto shows two different Mopar remans for the '15. No new ones.

NIsaacs , Dec 30, 2019
  7. jhenderson

That’s what makes me nervous about rock auto. The 4th gen 6.7 only takes one pump. Why do they also list the one for gassers when you’ve specified a 6.7 ?

jhenderson , Dec 30, 2019
  8. NIsaacs

I agree, aftermarket parts houses have questionable numbers/parts at times. For an item I might need warranty on I try to go local, plus the core, that way you can match the old with the new.

NIsaacs , Dec 30, 2019
    Wiredawg and HPSimpson like this.
  9. JR

10. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

I have used these folks Mopar Factory parts for right tail light on my 14 3500 came in a factory box.

HPSimpson , Dec 30, 2019
  11. jhenderson

I’ve used them on occasion. I may have to go there but d rather hold off and buy local whenever possible. I’ll probably go new if it’s available at the time.

jhenderson , Dec 31, 2019
  12. Wiredawg

JH,
    You're in the driver's seat, so you know best, but I would wait on any changeouts until I actually started feeling something in the steering itself. My 09 4500 was a bit noisy for years but never had anything worse than that.

Pls keep us informed.

Happy New Year and Cheers, Ron

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Wiredawg , Dec 31, 2019
    NIsaacs likes this.
  13. NIsaacs

Same with my '01, mostly noisy from day one with stock p/s fluid. Last year I switched to Red Line synthetic PS fluid, the noise is gone and has never came back. This is with a 19 year old truck. The pump is untouched, I did seal the steering gear once and booster once.

NIsaacs , Dec 31, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  14. jhenderson

I’ll take it under advisement. Thanks.

jhenderson , Dec 31, 2019