Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smittyd174

Hey everyone , I've got a 2016 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins with a 107000 kms or about 64000 miles. There is a whine in the power steering or hydroboost system. Start the truck little to no whine , touch the brake pedal or turn the steering wheel and there it is .
    The whine changes with engine rpms although at it seems to go away at 1300 - 1500 rpms. Maybe just don't hear it because of all the other noises ( engine , wind and road ).
    I've read on this forum other people have same problem , just wondering if anyone has figured it out. l'm gonna do a flush soon using Lube Guard flush , Moparatf+4 and Lube Guard ps additive.
    Has anyone replaced the ps pump one these trucks. Just looking for tips and tricks. , I'm sure it's not rocket science. What is needed for seals to connect hoses?
    Thanks for any info you can share.

smittyd174 , Apr 17, 2021
  2. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Noise that changes with moving the steering wheel usually is the hydro hoses

EDankievitch , Apr 17, 2021
  3. Axel

I had same issue at around 160k. I did replace pump and 1 of the hoses that was leaking. Not rocket science, took me about 1 hour and 2 beer.....
    Sorry that is all I remember since it was last summer...

Axel , Apr 20, 2021
  4. NonFord

That was exactly my problem! Apparently, the hose has changed designs, as the old one had like a plastic tube in there and it was broken to pieces, not allowing true flow. New one, I didnt see it...

NonFord , Apr 21, 2021
    Rob S likes this.
  5. NonFord

If your going to do it, its not hard at all, BUT, you will want a helper to hold that pump in place to get them threads going. It will make the job so much faster. I tried by myself, but just couldnt get the threads going as I would cock the pump.......

NonFord , Apr 21, 2021
  6. smittyd174

I just changed the 2 hydroboost hoses today problem solved no more whine. Only 1 had a plastic tube in it and it fell out.

smittyd174 , May 19, 2021
    AnonEd likes this.
  7. nukegm

comrade smitty - thanks for the follow up/conclusion. im sure i can speak for others, we all appreciate when a poster lets everyone know how things turned out. cheers! :)

nukegm , May 19, 2021
    OLEJOE, AnonEd, Rob S and 1 other person like this.