Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

I have a 2016 Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins with 75,000 miles. I just finished a four day drive across country and have noticed the steering getting harder to turn each day. Arriving to my hotel last evening turning in and parking the truck took a great deal of effort on the steering wheel. There was even a little bit of chatter when maneuvering the truck into the parking spot. The fluid is at the correct level, no noise at the pump, not sure what is happening. Any help is greatly appreciated.

redandwhitebrit , May 31, 2020
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I think I would suck out the old and refill with proper fluid and see if that helps.

Cummins12V98 , May 31, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  3. Jim W TDR MEMBER

My younger son's 2013.5 truck had a similar issues last month were the steering was hard and won't not return to center from the right hand side. I asked when was the last time he service the power steering fluid? He stated never. I said that this needs to be service at certain mileage/time frame per the manual. I also told him to use ATF+4 transmission fluid for your power steering unit.
    He changed the fluid and replace with new ATF+4 transmission fluid. The steering is back to normal steering effort with the steering wheel returning to center now.This is much cheaper than replacing the gear box and works!

Jim W , May 31, 2020
  4. Axel

I am no mechanic, but in my son's case it ended up being the front left U-joint. It is easy to check,
    lift front truck on jakstands try to turn steering wheel while rotating tire. In my sons case it became impossible to turn tire.
    Replaced both u-joints and all is good.

Axel , May 31, 2020
  5. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

Thanks for the input! Got in the truck this morning and everything is normal. I am wondering if a fluid change is in order as suggested. Maybe 2400+ miles in 4 days stressed the fluid and caused some issues.

redandwhitebrit , May 31, 2020
  6. seafish

Really the only thing that could "stress" a hydraulic lubricant is overheating it, so unless your truck exopericed some form of overheating during that 2400 miles, I don't think that could be the case.

The said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a PS fluid change as a long interval regular maintenance, even though the PS fluid does NOT have a service interval listed in the owners manual. Who I changed mine, I also added an external full flow hydraulic filter to my PS lines --

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/full-flow-power-steering-filter-install-w-pics.265912/

Also, like others have said you might look into the possibility of a bad axle shaft joint causing the steering problem.

seafish , May 31, 2020
    Michaelsloft likes this.
  7. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I was always taught that the power steering fluid should be changed approximately every four years or 50,000 miles which ever comes first! Why? The fluid is not filtered and is subject to the atmosphere and over time it will beak down. The fluid reservoir is not a close system! I am surprise it is not required by Dodge/Ram for our trucks to be changed!

I am just old school and I do change the fluid in the power steering and brake reservoir about every four to five years.

I have replaced both of my u-joints and steering ball joints on my current truck along with other vehicles such as Jeeps. An I never have had hard steering input or resistance from these components. But I did get what some call the Death Wobble and have failed steering Stabilizers do to the failed components of the ball joints and u-joints. That's why I lean to the dirty fluid in the power steering pump as the cause of the steering resistance.

This is easier to change and cheaper than anything else on the truck, to replace. I would do what is easy and cheap to do first and go from there.

Jim W , May 31, 2020
    seafish likes this.
  8. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

Quick update to my power steering issues. The chattering in the steering while parking my truck has occurred a couple of more times recently. This has caused me to really spend time looking for the problems, and I finally discovered the real issue. The serpentine belt was stretched and glazed which caused the belt to slip a little on the pulleys. This became very noticeable after a long drive at highway speeds. Put a new serpentine belt on this morning and the problem is solved. My failure was not looking for the easy fix the very first thing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    redandwhitebrit , Jun 25, 2020
    CEppinger, rrowdy and Rob S like this.
  9. lpennock

Hate it when I do that. Glad to seem I'm not the only one. ;)
    Glad you got it figured out.

lpennock , Jun 25, 2020
  10. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

Great you figure out without going to the dealer, Great job!o_O

HPSimpson , Jun 25, 2020
  11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Shouldn't be out at just 4 years of age, I would have a close eye on the spanner, maybe that one is to weak and makes your belt slip.

Ozymandias , Jun 25, 2020
  12. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

Not sure what you mean by the "spanner", Ozymandias. If you are referring to the tensioner, it was in very good condition. The truck has about 76,000 miles and the maintenance charts call for a check on the belt regularly. The old belt was original equipment and was over one half inch longer than the new when stretched together for a comparison.

redandwhitebrit , Jun 26, 2020
  13. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yes, tensioner I meant.
    Strange thing that your belt stretched so much, I'll measure mine the next time I change it. I just changed mine a year ago as preliminary maintenance after 7 years of use.

Ozymandias , Jun 26, 2020