Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrandol

Hey all, I put a bottle of Power service in my truck the other day and its seems pretty good. Mileage is defintely up. Is this a good product that will lubricate my VP44?

jrandol , Dec 19, 2002
  2. csevers

Depends who you ask!

I am not a hugh believer in fuel additives but yet I use power sercvice from time to time and I can say that in the summer I do get a little better fuel mileage when running it. I have used it in the winter and don't see much improvement. I have used just cetane boost additive from the king in synthetics and saw more power but no better mpg and I think a miss, granted I do not scientiffically measure out the dose(that is my biggest gripe with additives not made to mix to smaller fuel tanks like p/u's) but with power service even over dosing it does just as good.

Just my opinion

Craig

csevers , Dec 20, 2002
  3. KatDiesel

I run it since its easy to get at Walmart.

I can't really say it gianed any mpg or power, I just use it to up the pour point for winter, and boost the cetane in summer, as well as lubricate the injection pump! Use the grey bottle for summer (if you have a choice)..... and the white for winter.

KatDiesel , Dec 20, 2002
  4. illflem

My feeling is that all these additives come out of the same barrel. I only use additive to prevent winter gel, PS, Howe's and Stanadine have all worked equally well. I don't have a VP-44 to lube though.

There was a additive poll on the over the road truckers site, http://truck.net/bbs/ , a while back. Of the around 40% of truckers who said they used additives about 75% used Power Service. Availability is the biggest factor.

illflem , Dec 20, 2002
  5. 24V-DSL

I have tried several additives... . Amsoil, Red Line, Howes (both forumulas), and Power Service.

I can't attribute ANYTHING, except a quieter running engine, which they all provided. I'm therefore "convinced" that the additives are providing some measure of lubrication.

So, I have settled on Power Service Diesel Kleen, a formula that does not provide anti-gelling, but supposedly has added cetane. Gelling is not an issue for me in my area climate.

The main reason I'm using Power Service is cost. I pay $9. 99 for a 96oz. jug. The "Kleen" formula is in a silver jug, while the regular formula is in a white jug, which is the one most readily available. The Kleen formula is usually not on the shelf, but my local NAPA store orders 4 jugs at a time for me.

I add 8 oz. every fill up, which is usually ~22/25 gallons.

Edit: I have been very interested in the Amalgamated product, and have watched posts from those using it, but I'm disappointed that no one seems to be stepping up with data that would convince me to order a 5 gallon pail of this stuff. I think illflem is right... .

Last edited: Dec 20, 2002
    24V-DSL , Dec 20, 2002
  6. Bob Wagner

Joe, FYI Napa has the silver jug on sale for $7. 99 til the end of the month

great price

Merry Christmas too

Bob

Bob Wagner , Dec 20, 2002
  7. 24V-DSL

thanks, Bob....

I'll get on it today.

Merry Christmas to you, as well.

Joe

24V-DSL , Dec 20, 2002
  8. Gary - K7GLD

I use PS in the white jug, primarily due to it's lube for the VP-44 - in one of the tests displayed on this site, it placed near the top in lubricity compared to several other popular brands - and as said up above, it's reasonably priced at Walmart stores.

Being extra anal, I also use a small percentage of low-ash 2 stroke oil in my fuel as well... ;) :D

Gary - K7GLD , Dec 20, 2002
  9. thepitts

Here at work

We would only use the PS stuff in all the AGE equipment. When I got my truck they gave me a bottle, have been using it ever since. If it works for the Air Force it will work for me.

thepitts , Dec 20, 2002
  10. E7mack96

powerservice

I get my powerservice for $6. 10 per 96 oz. jug

E7mack96 , Dec 20, 2002
  11. 24V-DSL

E7mack96.....

Can you say where?

That's a great price!!

24V-DSL , Dec 20, 2002
  12. Bob Wagner

took my own advice and grabbed 2 more at 7. 99 for the silver jug

$6. 10 is excellent

Bob Wagner , Dec 20, 2002
  13. E7mack96

Sure, I get it at Columbia oil. They bring my 55's of rotella and power service by the case, ect. . That price is delivered to my door.

E7mack96 , Dec 20, 2002
  14. SlyBones

I have never seen any power or mileage increase. I use it for the cetane boost and winter gel. It does clean and lubricate the pump. I have heard from those that work on pumps they can tell the difference between pumps that use additives and those that dont.

SlyBones , Dec 20, 2002
  15. Pit Bull

If you have a Sam's club close they sell Rotella DFA real cheap. It's suppose to do everything??

Pit Bull , Dec 20, 2002
  16. E7mack96

My Sams' Club does not carry the DFA. I looked at all 3 in my area.

I did try a 96 oz. DFA that I found at wally world, Then they dropped it too.

E7mack96 , Dec 21, 2002
  17. Palahniuk

One of the main reasons to use an additive is to remove moisture and to prevent algae from growing in your tanks. It should be used year around and all the other benefits are a plus.

Palahniuk , Dec 21, 2002
  18. Pit Bull

That is what bothers me about Sam's and Wally world. Not a reliable source. I bought 2, 4 gallon cases of DFA from Sam's. I still have 3 gallons left. I was in there the Friday and they did not have any. With Sam's you never know if they will ever restock. No big deal if they don't I will go to PS. I just bought the DFA because it was 4 gallons for $33. 00 :(

Pit Bull , Dec 21, 2002