1. Iron Duke II

Looking for guidance on converting to the
    potentiometer since the TPS is according to the transmission shop
    is going bad.

Iron Duke II , Aug 1, 2023
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I'd give it a try with a new TPS, after almost 30 years it seems to be a good unit.

Ozymandias , Aug 1, 2023
    Iron Duke II likes this.
  3. Iron Duke II

Just went by Oreilly’s Auto Parts and had the charging systems checked. The alternator is only putting out 12 volts on their tester.

4. Iron Duke II

The alternator was purchase at a local company that manufacturers starters and alternators from original equipment cores. They are several miles from where I live. I went by their facility this afternoon and had them check the charging system. Their testing equipment indicate the alternator is charging correctly. The batteries are also taking a charge. So back to the TPS issue.

5. Iron Duke II

6. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

7. Iron Duke II

Appreciate the heads up on the TPS sale price.

This would be the 3rd Cummins TPS replacementin 12 years. The bracket and bushing have no side to side play. Wondering whether trying one of the aftermarket versions that have supposedly engineered some resistance to heat and vibration could help.

Interesting that no fans of the TPS delete have shared their comments.

8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I know very well about the delete, I just think it's uncomfortable to play around with that poti all the time.

Ozymandias , Aug 1, 2023
    BigPapa and Iron Duke II like this.
  9. Iron Duke II

Appreciate the reply.

Was that your experience with one?

10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No i never had one just read about others experiences with it. It seems you need to adjust the 4th shift point all the time according to load and terrain.

Ozymandias , Aug 2, 2023
    Iron Duke II likes this.
  11. Iron Duke II

The topic has previously been covered in depth many times.
    I am not able to locate information that Cummins has attempted to correct any faults over time with their TPS.
    Came across TPS listings for ones from Wells, Standard and Walker that reference different oem part numbers compatible with the one for the 1996 yr version as follows: OEM / Interchange Numbers: 4746719, 4874412, 4877412, 68405578AA

There is Power Driven Diesel that offers one made by BWD that is cited as manufactured with material improvements.
    https://powerdrivendiesel.com/product/94-98-dodge-5-9l-cummins-bwd-throttle-position-sensor/
    Pure Diesel Power sells iit too, but for less.
    https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-p...mins-bwd-ec3061-throttle-position-sensor.html

Side note, the alternator company that tested my alternator said it should b putting out 13.6v, which it is.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    Iron Duke II , Aug 2, 2023
  12. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Just to clarify, 4746719, 4874412, and 4877412 are Dodge numbers, not Cummins numbers.

BigPapa , Aug 2, 2023
    Iron Duke II likes this.
  13. Iron Duke II

I spoke with Geno's about the TPS Delete. The rep was enthusiastic about the item, saying they have many customers that it would not go back to the TPS.

I'm going to try one.

Iron Duke II , Aug 2, 2023
  14. Iron Duke II

Iron Duke II , Aug 4, 2023
  15. Iron Duke II

Are there tips to be aware of other than the specific directions for installing a new TPS cited in the SM, p.14-127?

Iron Duke II , Aug 5, 2023
  16. Iron Duke II

Iron Duke II , Aug 16, 2023
    BigPapa and Ozymandias like this.
  17. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Good to hear. Case closed.

Ozymandias , Aug 16, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  18. JMcCoy

You messed up! Sorry I wasn't here earlier. The potentiometer delete was one of the best mods I have done. You NEVER have to play with it. Set it and forget it! If you're towing or driving in the mountains, you can turn it and delay the shifts into overdrive. Knowing now, I would have ripped it out on day one!

JMcCoy , Sep 3, 2023