Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Maney

I am considering the pillar mount for gauges. I have one wire running up behind the original trim that is for a cell phone microphone. Do the pillar mounts fit well and look right in terms of fit? Is there enough room behind them to route the wires or tubes?

Also, is it difficult to get the wires/tubes from the engine compartment, over to and up through this pillar path?

I don't see any other place that I think would work as well to mount gauges. I wish there was a good place right in the dash, but there is not. I worry that the mounts for on top of the dash would end up seeming in the way, and block vision at some point.

I was thinking about a three gauge unit, with pyrometer, boost, and fuel pressure gauges. As I have seen mention made of alternative places to tap into for the fuel pressure, is there a best place?

Gordon Maney , Feb 8, 2003
  2. jrollins

I love mine and it fits very well, only problem I have had was when I installed my pyrometer I had to make it the lowest mounted because the wiring harness that came with the unit was too short to go any higher. As far as wires the only electric gauge I have is the pyro, the FP and the Boost are mechanical so they just have the lights and tubing going to them and they fit nicely.

jrollins , Feb 8, 2003
  3. MPBerk

G-

Have Isspro EV Pyro, bst, t-temp on the A-pillar. Painted pillar to match. Depending on how how you tap in for lighting, all fits and looks great. DShuart provide me asst when doing mine, took us better part of a day. Better if you can have another set of hands to help out.

Any RAMer's around you to asst?

MP

MPBerk , Feb 16, 2003
  4. KatDiesel

Let me squash this rumor. The 3 gauge autometer dashpod in no way blocks vision, it actually is inline with the edge of the hood for the most part. If you were maybe 5' tall I could see where it might be a problem, but relatively average height no vision blockage. I'll snap a picture for you if you like. A nice advantage to them is when you glance at them the road is still in your peripheral vision.

KatDiesel , Feb 16, 2003
  5. Jeff Knight

I have the same thing as KatDiesel and like mine a lot. Jeff

Jeff Knight , Feb 16, 2003
  6. monkfarm

I have both the pillar mount and the dashmount, and I would say that the dash mount seems more obtrusive (and claustophobice), and I had to get used to it. I didn't really like it at first. I had the pillar mount first (which does restrict your already restricted pillar sidevision, but is easy to get used to I thought) and wanted to add more temp guages (trans, engine oil, and rear diff (which I now have on the pillar))

It's probably just me. Like Katdiesel says, it's really not in your way. But it seemed like it to me, untill I got used to it.

monkfarm , Feb 16, 2003
  7. HeberRam

They are not too bad!!! Note NOS gauge on steering wheel pod. :D

[​IMG][/IMG]#ad

Steve:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2018
    HeberRam , Feb 16, 2003
  8. Silver

I installed the pillar mount a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. I didn't want the pillar at first either, but figured it would be my best option. As far as the issue of blocking your veiw, etc. I got used to mine in about three days- now it seems normal.

Wiring etc. - Not bad. I actually cut the mounting brackets off my original pillar and glued them on to the new autometer pillar. I recommend doing this instead of placing new pillar over the old. I'm very picky about fit and finish and mine turned out great. Looks Factory.

In order to run the wires through the firewall, I went to the parts store and bought a rubber grommet big enough so that I could run the boost tube and the Pyro wires through the same hole. (I didn't want to drill 2 holes in the firewall). I drilled hole above and to the right of the gas pedal. Once everything was wired, I put some black RTV in the remaining space in the grommet.

For lighting, I pulled the lighting from the ashtray light. This allows the guages to dim using the switch.

The only snag I ran into was finding a power supply for the pyrometer. I don't have any great suggestions for this yet.

Hope this helps some.

Silver , Feb 16, 2003
  9. mediccummin

a pillar

My a pillar falls exactly in line with the pillar so it does block my view any more than the pillar itself.

mediccummin , Feb 17, 2003