1. EricBu12

This was on the way back from May Madness. Truck handles well. . might later on get some helper airbags just to make the headlights not blind people when towing. . truck is just barely down on the overloads.

Flag is on a pole not on the trailer. . lol

/webdata/photopost/data/573/medium/IMG_4564.JPG#ad

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
    EricBu12 , May 22, 2010
  2. MChrist

Looks sharp!! Do you know what the weight on the bed is? I've got helper bags in my 2500, and it makes a huge difference when pulling heavy.

MChrist , May 22, 2010
  3. CumminsBu

Looks good, who doesn't fly a US flag on the back of their fiver?

CumminsBu , May 23, 2010
  4. CUMMINZ

Eric,

I wished you had time to take most of the TDR members pulling heavy with SRW trucks with stock tires for a spin in your truck and rig with 19. 5s. It would open their eyes. :-laf

You have a great combination. I do think air bags would give you a much better ride. They did my DRW. Are your front jacks down?

PS How do you get the 5er under the awning with the flag on the rear?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
    CUMMINZ , May 23, 2010
  5. EricBu12

Mchrist.

The last time I did a weight check on my SB '01, I believe the rear was like 6400# total so that is like 3000# or so pin weight. . On that truck I had the Roadmaster springs on it to help in the weight handling...

This truck might be a few hundred more heavier in the rear so the 19. 5" tires is even more of a must now. I don't Really need the airbags but they will help level the truck... I plan on running over a Cat scale sometime soon to find out how much this beast weighs.

Cumminz

Yeah, as a Truck driver by career, I looked at the Stock "E" tires I had on my old '01 and they were just barely up to the task... . a few hundred pounds or so. . felt squishy side to side. . needed the extra capacity to ride and roll better...

These are rated at 4080# @95 PSI. . very good quality... only 12 ply and "F" rated but do well... Next year I am going to do a "Ring-Tread" at Les Schuab tires..... Like a retread but the retread is already in a circle. . it is stretched over the ground up carcass and then vulcanized on to it. . with my low usage and low heat build-up, they should never separate. . Cheaper too. . About $128/tire.

I can't wait to get the air bags. . I have seen 2 different types. . the ones where they are perched on the tube top and ones that are on top of the spring. . Any difference or need to do one or the other depending on if you have the overloads or not?. . Looks like the one that sits on the tube is very easy to install.

The jacks are down a bit. . Not too low. . but the pic shows an angle that they might be too low... the electric jacks are too slow to retract and I don't like to have the legs telescoped out too far when unhooked... Never have hit them yet... (knock on wood).

As stated above. . the flag is on a pole in the background.

EricBu12 , May 23, 2010
  6. HBarlow

Your combination looks good. The photo suggests the 19. 5" wheels/tires fill the fender wells a little better than the OEM 17".

HBarlow , May 23, 2010
  7. DGamelin

Nice, that big trailer the truck siting leave and those tires will help to instill confidence in other dodge owners and disappointment in the other two. You got to like that.

what gear?

93 250 2wd xc 354 auto 274k

04. 5 3500 4wd qc dully 373 6speed 100k

DGamelin , May 23, 2010
  8. CUMMINZ

I wished Dodge could offer an option on a 3500 SRW with factory 19. 5s and make the GVW maybe 10k.

My Firestone air bags mount on top the axle and bolt to the rear axle rubber bumper connection. We love them.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

CUMMINZ , May 23, 2010
  9. smitty3500

Eric,

Great looking rig! 19. 5's are a great addition to these trucks.

What tires do you run on your triple axle 5'er? I am trying to decide what
    to replace on my 44' triple axle car hauler.

smitty3500 , May 23, 2010
  10. Matt400

Don't forget more importantly than your truck, you want to keep your trailer level so axles loads are even.

Nice looking setup!

Matt400 , May 23, 2010
  11. EricBu12

The trailer is fairly level now but the airbags should help. .

The tires on the trailer. . Are 225/75-16 "E". . BF goodrich commercial T/A

The rims I got at Discount tire. They are a 16" rim that has a pop off center cap so I can Lube the axle bearings

[​IMG]#ad

EricBu12 , May 23, 2010
  12. tempforce

even with auto adjusters on my bags. i need to give the headlites an adjustment when towing. so i keep a torx drive in my truck. three half turns down when loaded. or three half turns up when empty. simple enough...

tempforce , May 23, 2010
  13. EricBu12

I have been meaning to adjust my headlights down just a little when empty. . seems to be a little high...

Cumminz Those airbags are what I saw before. . Seems like a neat way to install them. No problems with them at all? Thats good. . Any good place with a good price on them?

EricBu12 , May 24, 2010
  14. CurtLee

Good looking rig Eric. How does the 6. 7/68fre combo compare to the '01?

CurtLee , May 24, 2010
  15. Matt400

Great idea!

Matt400 , May 24, 2010
  16. EricBu12

It is a learning experience towing with the Auto asI had the 5600 6 speed. . The power is like old hat and works well. . the one thing I am amazed at is the coolant is never hot. . just a touch over 200. . never higher. . Like the brakes on this thing. . one time had to stop fast at a sudden light change. . did better than my old '01.

The 6 speed Auto is tricky as I have to shift the Auto like a manual which I like... but in the tow-haul mode, have to turn it off before going down hill or it will actively try to shift down like I am trying to stop. . Want it in like 5th or 6th and it shifts down to 4th... WOAAHH!... have to manual over ride it and then use the jake and gears separately. getting to where I turn it off at the top of the hill now then the jake works good

All in all I like it. I Don't like the lower mileage but that is expected with an auto but also the emissions stuff lowers it too so that I hate. . grr!

Last edited: May 24, 2010
    EricBu12 , May 24, 2010
  17. EricBu12

Take a look at these 2 pics. . i might be seeing things but it seems my old 01 has the front of the trailer a little higher than my new 09. . I don't know where the adjustment is on the super 5th hitch. . might be in the middle. .

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The pics of the Raptor with the blue graphics. . I want to get these on my trailer. . it would compliment the silver truck better.

EricBu12 , May 24, 2010
  18. CUMMINZ

Eric, The more you drive the 68rfe the more you will like it. You will learn to leave a small amout of pressure on the pedal when going down hill. That will keep it from downshifting to much.

CUMMINZ , May 24, 2010
  19. Deleted member 995608

I wish I could have a chance to pull heavy with the single 19. 5".

We pull a 2009 36' Attitude TH. I didn't like the way the truck handled when we were fully loaded. That's why I converted to duals.

I don't mind using the truck as a daily driver but I do hate the milage drop. And trying to crawl over the wide hips stinks too.

Deleted member 995608 , May 25, 2010