Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verk

So after years of not scheduling the passenger airbag replacement ( Takata airbag recall ) I finally bit the bullet and remembered why I was putting it off for all those years. Dealer returned the vehicle to me with airbag light on and several body parts not installed correctly:

1-floor console screws not attached ( console just floating ) and one screw missing
    2-center seat front fasteners loosened ( as if they thought they needed to remove, but then realized they didn't need to )
    3-the dash not fully pushed in by right passenger vent
    4-aftermarket stereo USB charging/Android Auto cable no longer connected

Lastly they didn't return my x3 attempts to follow-up until I emailed the service manager. But for now I'm only interested in figuring out why the light is on. My scanner doesn't report any DTCs which seems wrong because if the airbag indicator in EMIC is on there should be a code ? Most obvious problem could be the passenger on/off switch which is a muxed switch ( with different resistor values on & off such that ACM can sense status of switch ). Perhaps the low-side driver for passenger on/off bulb also monitors this circuit and throws a DTC if bulb fails ? Any other things that people are aware of that are worth checking for ?

Sven

verk , Mar 25, 2023
  2. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

You could do a cluster code pull with its built in diag. feature. There's only two codes related to the airbag systems so I'm not sure if it'll be any help, they appear to just be for the warning indicator.

Here are the codes, the format will be "xx xx" the first two values are the code, the second two are the number of ignition cycles.

upload_2023-3-25_21-31-35.png #ad

Here is the procedure

upload_2023-3-25_21-34-1.png #ad

Darkbloodmon , Mar 25, 2023
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Contact the manager.

It’s a simple recall that wasn’t necessary to put off. If you have that little faith in your local dealership can you find another.

AH64ID , Mar 25, 2023
  4. verk

No cluster codes, thanks for reply. I have no more faith in the manager than the dealership, but I agree in principal. I also noticed today that transfer case lever had some movement so I took a look to discover securing bolt not fully seated. Looks like they started the bolt off axis and made new threads which is why they couldn't fully seat so I had to chase with a tap. Also noticed that passenger airbag indicator doesn't illuminate although it is supposed to for 7 seconds even if turned on. PXL_20230326_214506950.MP.jpg #ad

verk , Mar 26, 2023
  5. verk

They failed to reattach wiring to airbag passenger on/off switch. Airbag warning light on EMIC now goes off. At least a couple of more screws missing. I was so careful to keep all the screws whenever I would open up dash, this is the part that pisses me off. Everybody makes mistakes, but you are in the wrong line of work if you have more than 10% lost screw rate. PXL_20230327_210124399.jpg #ad
    PXL_20230327_210816064.jpg #ad

verk , Mar 27, 2023
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Have you looked under the seat and trim panels for the missing screws? That's why I have many small magnetic trays for these things! Helps me keep everything close by and if it continues into another day, know where they will be when restarting again. Sounds like there where 2 people working on your truck. The one putting back together didn't take apart! And they wonder why we don't like taking our trucks into the dealer for any reason!

Topzide , Mar 28, 2023
    verk likes this.
  7. crispyboy

Truly bottom of the barrel technicians at that dealership......

crispyboy , Mar 28, 2023
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

That’s pretty dismal work. I’d be raising all kinds of hell.

AH64ID , Mar 28, 2023
    Tuesdak and Darkbloodmon like this.