Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Past couple days I have been getting a red banner showing up on the screen when I start the 2014. Says Contact dealer, 911 phone needs service. Or something to that effect. Anyone have this happen or know what has changed? I recently reconnected the puck on the hood that I use when the camper is on board and everything works but did not try the mirror button.

Mike Wenrich , Jul 13, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  2. Wiredawg

Mike,

Do you have U-Connect? If so, you can call there customer support for assistance. Otherwise, someone else may have experience with your problem.

I'm curious how your puck on the hood works. I have my spare tire mounted to my headache rack that is basically over the roof and think it sometimes interferes with the signal from my roof mounted puck. Is your roof mounted one connected as well?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Jul 13, 2019
  3. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

I have the ability for U-connect but did not keep it beyond the one year it was free. Kinda why I posted the message because I believe the emergency 911 on the mirror is still active. At least it was about a year ago when I accidentally hit it while adjusting the mirror.

The puck works great. I connect it inside the passenger pillar where the original is located. Ran a factory cable thru the kick panel and up under the hood. Bought a factory puck as well. At first, while testing it out I had the cable taped to the hood about midway to the front. Used magnets under a wood block I made to hold it in place. Found out those rust. Then made the hard decision to drill a hole in the hood and run the cable under the hood insulation. It works for nav and radio and since the program is so old I mainly use it for the radio. When I took the camper off for the winter I had a little trouble with reception and reattached the original. Recently, with the camper back on I had to figure out what went wrong and the short story is I believe the puck was dirty. By placing my hand on the back of it I would lose reception and I noticed some discoloration (white stuff, maybe bird poop) on the back. Cleaned it and it is working fine again.

Wiredawg likes this.
  4. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Your radio has a separate cell phone built into it that's used for the 911 feature. It's been awhile since I've seen one but it usually involves the antenna.

sag2 , Jul 13, 2019
  5. Wiredawg

Mike,
    Thanks a bunch. Good luck with your problem.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Jul 13, 2019
  6. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Thanks sag2. I still need to get the latest recall done and if the message keeps popping up I will have them check it out at that time. I also just replaced the batteries yesterday. I had an odd occurrence about a week ago where the truck had set for a couple weeks and when I started it, the radio was on AM. I never use that, just sirous. After checking the batteries one was reading 12.2 while the other was 12.5. Being almost 6 years old (Sept 2013 build) and all the chat about battery problems I decided to eliminate that potential problem. Sure cranks over better now. Did not realize it was slowing down.

7. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Update. After changing the batteries I have not seen the message again. Don't know if that's because of previous low voltage or because I changed wiring/pucks and confused the computer. But so far so good. Thought someone just might want to know. Or not. Interesting too, at least to me, when the original failing batteries were in the computer display voltage was showing 11 volts before starting and 14 after. Now it shows 12 volts before and 13 after starting. Indicates stronger batteries not needing as much restoration methinks.

Mike Wenrich , Jul 17, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  8. Wiredawg

I think it's interesting. Good to know.

Thanks, Ron

Wiredawg , Jul 17, 2019
  9. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Well, I jinxed the situation by replying I had not seen the message again after a battery change. After four starts yesterday it showed up again on the last one. Doubt I would ever use this feature since I would not remember its there and I carry a cell phone but it's annoying that the message shows up.

Mike Wenrich , Jul 19, 2019
  10. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Just another thought. You might check and see if there's a radio update on the website and see if you can update it.

sag2 , Jul 19, 2019
    HPSimpson and Wiredawg like this.
  11. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Thanks. I will try that.

Mike Wenrich , Jul 19, 2019