Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james182

Some time ago I purchased a 2007 2500 Mega cab with a manual transmission. As I add things like backup lights, off-road lights, and other items, I'm looking for ideas on a good place to mount some up-fitter switches. I would like to mount them in such a way, so that, for resale purposes (although part of me hopes that never happens), they look good and don't detract from the look of the interior. Is there somebody out there who has done a nice job with a similar truck that would be willing to post or share some pictures?

Also, I've been struggling finding a good location to mount a CB. I regularly use the front middle seat with my kids, so it needs to be mounted in way that doesn't restrict that seat. Any ideas?

james182 , Nov 6, 2016
  2. Prairie Dog

Have you considered on of those all-in-one CB's that have everything in the mic so the base can be put anyplace?

Scott

Prairie Dog , Nov 6, 2016
  3. The patriot

Someone on another board was trading in his ram, and offered this for the cost of shipping.
    Aluminum and riv-nuts. It's commercial heavy duty. In fact the guy was a commercial radio installer.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2018
    The patriot , Nov 6, 2016
  4. 2t2-crash

I installed my CB between the knees under the steering wheel. Its a rather large unit, I just adjust the pedals far forward and have the handset hanging from a clip under the radio area. I can post a picture if you'd like.

2t2-crash , Dec 25, 2016
  5. Motorhead

I removed the little square dash "pocket". I removed the radio face plate, removed the square pocket and JB weld'ed a black face plate to cover the hole. I mounted my AUX back-up light and fog light over ride switches there. No holes in the dash. The third picture is where I mounted an air suspension gauge and independent air bag leveling switches.

IMG_1862 (1280x960).jpg #ad

IMG_1863 (1280x960).jpg #ad

343 (1280x960).jpg #ad

Motorhead , Dec 25, 2016
  6. Northfork

Motorhead that is a clean deal set up on both...going to file that one away. Those little square boxes are not critical storage to my way of thinking.

Northfork , Dec 26, 2016
  7. Motorhead

Thanks. I never liked cutting into the MAIN dashboard. That front cover that the pockets are in is replaceable if the switches or the gauge is ever abandoned.
    I read your thread on the Delvac 50 in your trans. I knew you would feel and hear the difference. Most of all, the trans, in my opinion, will be better LOAD protected with that lubricant. It is just a little stiff when cold but I shared with you what I do.

Motorhead , Dec 26, 2016
  8. Shelby Griggs TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Shelby Griggs , Dec 29, 2016
  9. Motorhead

That's fine if your truck is an automatic... What about a cup holder now :confused: :)

Motorhead , Dec 29, 2016
  10. Shelby Griggs TDR MEMBER

True, won't work for me on my truck either, but it is a nice setup for an auto! I have one of the Geno's radio mounts with two radios mounted, my aux switches (2nd gen) are mounted under the steering wheel, can only operate by feel. Switches.jpg

Switches.jpg

Shelby Griggs , Dec 29, 2016
  11. The patriot

The patriot , Dec 30, 2016
  12. Shelby Griggs TDR MEMBER

Those are nice rigs, I opted for Vertex Standard VHF DMR radio (singular), so far only using analog, mostly because the ONLY DMR repeater within 100 miles is UHF. I also am playing with Yausu's System Fusion digital.

The Vertex Standard is a fine option for Tier 2 DMR, just doesn't have some of the Moto proprietary stuff, less initial cost, solid three year warranty and maybe best of all, free firmware/software, no paying Mother Moto every three years to keep up to date.

N7SHG

Shelby Griggs , Dec 31, 2016
  13. The patriot

I already have Moto CPS 13.5 V 679. And a programming cable.:D I also have my entitlement keys en route from Moto. Santa Claus brought it.:D
    Around here DMR machines are 100% UHF. I have 2 or 3 repeaters I can hit from my couch with a Tyt MD-380 with the rubber duckie antenna. One machine in Atlantic city (K2ACY) has 64 talkgroups! That's too far for the HT though.
    I've been trying to get my dad back into radios. He has a DMR VHF repeater within 10 miles from him, but he was strictly tube rigs and CW. Not sure he's interested at all in phone.
    I've been looking at the Vertex version of the Moto XPR4550. They can be had for the high $300's brand new . Very VERY tempting.....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    The patriot , Dec 31, 2016
  14. Shelby Griggs TDR MEMBER

I have the Vertex Standard EVX-5400, is that what is tempting you?

Shelby

Shelby Griggs , Dec 31, 2016
  15. The patriot

Yea.
    I see them right around $400 for the 25watt version. 40watt version is something like +$50.

The patriot , Dec 31, 2016
  16. Shelby Griggs TDR MEMBER

That is about what I paid in December 2015, I have the 25W version, this pulls double duty as a work radio and a 2m ham rig. I went with 25W version because my commercial LMR license is limited to 35W.

SHG

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Shelby Griggs , Jan 2, 2017
  17. The patriot

If the cps is anything like big M , you can program in whatever wattage level you want, or program it into one of the function buttons.
    I've been eyeing up the Hytera (MD-782 in particular) but they're pretty pricey. $700+++ new. ...$500`ish used/ exc cond.
    I hear very good things about them. Compatible to Moto's/Vertex etc radio's but with FREE software that's actually excellent . Not typical Chinese/knockoff software.
    The programming cable is however $80.

The patriot , Jan 2, 2017
  18. RideSlow2004

Fog light over ride? Is info on that here somewhere? EZ for a hamfisted wire crosser to do?

RideSlow2004 , Jan 3, 2017
  19. mfurrh55

I used Velcro for my ham radio, I have a carpet dash cover and I put Velcro on radio only, and it stays in place and is easily removed, I run radio cable tucked under dash cover and is hidden from view

mfurrh55 , Jan 3, 2017
  20. Shelby Griggs TDR MEMBER

I can change the power output on the EVX-5400, but only three levels with the max being 25W on the 25W model. Commercial rig, so very little FPP unless you assign a function to one of the function keys. Software and firmware are free, I had to buy the real deal Vertex Standard programming cable, a generic one was a no go. I am running a compromise antenna (aren't they all?), a Firestik fender mount turned for the MURS frequencies rather than the 2M amateur band and have had a QSO mobile to mobile at about 70 miles, I can't complain for a $400 rig.SHG

Shelby Griggs , Jan 6, 2017