Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash1034

I'm torn on which cab and bed to get on my new truck. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Flash

Flash1034 , Dec 16, 2016
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

IMHO a crew cab back seating area is more than enough room. I never ride back there!!! Why compromise with bed size? Sliders cost more, smaller tool box area is a biggie to me.

IMG_2205.jpg #ad

IMG_2205.jpg #ad

Cummins12V98 , Dec 16, 2016
  3. brcbruiser TDR MEMBER

Mega cab all the way. The storage behind the seats is great.

brcbruiser , Dec 16, 2016
  4. Asturiano

The answer to that question depends on what you need from the truck. Do you have a need for a longbed? Do you have kids, pets, etc. to haul around? I just bought a Mega and have only owned QC or CC shortbeds previously. With 2 small children with bulky car seats and absolutely no need for a longbed since it isn't a worktruck, it was an easy choice for me. If I didn't have the kiddos, I probably would have bought the CC shortbed.

Asturiano , Dec 16, 2016
  5. Slow Six

I have the crew cab long bed. It is better for fifth wheel trailers, I can have a tool box and still haul stuff in the box plus it looks better. The mega cab and short box are grossly out of proportion. Any one who has rode in the back say it is roomy. It is really up to you as to your needs and use of the truck. Just my .02 worth.

Slow Six , Dec 16, 2016
  6. odinjunior

I'm leaning towards the Regular Cab Long bed. I have no one to ride in a back seat and I can see plenty of uses for the long bed..

odinjunior , Dec 16, 2016
  7. TCollier

I had an '06 mega cab and loved it. The bed was big enough for what I needed for. I had it for about a year after I bought my 5th wheel. Had a non-sliding hitch, just had to be careful. We wanted to go further than the gulf coast with the 5th wheel so we decided to move to a new DRW.
    I decided we could do without the 3" extra legroom with the new truck so we could get the long bed and no slider. I still feel like I made the right choice for us. But I found that we gave up more than just 3" of legroom and extra behind the seat storage. The CC has NO behind the seat storage. Not one inch. You can't even fold the seat back down to put sheet of paper back there. And you can't recline the back seats at all. And you can't fold the back seat back down and turn the whole area into a flat surface like the MC could. With tha huge back door and all that open space you could put anything in the cab. It was a trade for no slider and a fuel tank / toolbox which I put more value on.
    Youll have to figure out which you need most, room in the back of the cab (with a little more comfort) or room in the bed.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    TCollier , Dec 17, 2016
  8. Dasmoeturhead

We love our Mega cab DRW. I had a 2014 CC, and it was a fine truck, but not really suited for our new 43 ft 5th wheel. The Mega is perfect. The dogs have a large area in the back, and there's plenty of storage. The seating area in the back (when the dogs aren't back there) is limo like. I've rode back there, and the heated and cooled seats that recline are superb.
    Oh and I've also towed our trailer with NO, SLIDER through all of the lower 48 states without any damage to the vehicle.

Dasmoeturhead , Dec 17, 2016
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"I had a 2014 CC, and it was a fine truck, but not really suited for our new 43 ft 5th wheel"

Please explain how a MegaCab is more suited with a 43' 5er?

"I've rode back there, and the heated and cooled seats that recline are superb."

Did you get a special option that i'm not aware of? I have a LongHorn with heated and "ventilated" front seats. My back seats are ONLY heated.

Cummins12V98 , Dec 17, 2016
  10. Dasmoeturhead

Yeah my 14 crew cab was srw. My mega is a drw. Your right, just heated rear.

Dasmoeturhead , Dec 17, 2016
  11. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I have a 2008 Mega Cab and it is great for our needs when I purchased the truck. When we purchased this truck in 2008, the Crew Cab did not exist there was a Quad Cab;but it would not really be comfortable for rear seat adult passengers to sit. With the introduction of a true crew cab truck I would now purchase this model of truck with a long bed for towing my 5er. The difference between the 2016 Crew Cab Truck for the wheel base is 8.8" longer and the overall length is 11.4" longer. But the hitch placement is better with the longbed truck for cab clearance when pulling a 5th wheel trailer; the rear axle isabout 20" more to the rear of the truck.

My younger son just purchased a used 2013 Ram Crew Cab truck and his young teenagers fit in the Crew Cab very well. His Crew Cab truck has just as much storage as my 2008 Mega Cab, but the storage compartments are in different places.

Just my $0.02

Jim W , Dec 17, 2016
  12. Killer223

if you have kids, ge the mega, else the long bed is nice. i have both.

Killer223 , Dec 17, 2016
  13. RVTRKN

A buddy of mine bought a used 2014 2500 Mega Cab, and tows a 38' Toy Hauler with a slider 5th wheel hitch, and it does really well. I loved sitting in the back seat, it like riding in a limo. But I would not opt to a Mega, I wouldn't want to mess with a slider. My 07 QC is roomy enough for our needs, but they are no longer available.

RVTRKN , Dec 17, 2016
  14. RustyJC

I tow a 5th wheel. That's what the truck was purchased to do. Therefore, I have a crew cab long bed.

Rusty

RustyJC , Dec 17, 2016
  15. GrantP TDR MEMBER

Exactly. I have two kids and occasionally tow a trailer around so the mega cab is perfect for me. In fact, the whole family has actually slept in the truck on a one night scouting trip. The two kids easily fit on the folded down back seats and I have a hard cover over the bed. That saved me the hassle of hauling my camper for just a single night out. I mostly used my truck bed as extra lockable storage. The choice all depends on the intended usage.

GrantP , Dec 17, 2016
  16. Joseph Donnelly

Remember that the wheelbase increases by 10" as you go from short bed crew to mega cab short bed, to crew long bed. Turning circle increases along with WB.

Joseph Donnelly , Dec 17, 2016
  17. Cummins2014

I agree with the slider, not wanting to mess with it. But with all the new automatic sliders or pin boxes, its not a very valid argument . I have the conventional slider in my Mega Cab, and although I have never had to use it, I do pull it back only when I get home to give me a little bit more pivot point, not necessary ,but seems to turn better when backing into my RV pad, which is a little tight.

Being a fly fisherman wouldn't trade the Mega Cab for anything else, I sometimes string up three rods, break in half , and lay across the folded down back seats, separated enough to keep them from tangling. When I get to where I'm fishing the rods are ready to go, more time on the water :) Have actually slept back there, and not too bad.

It actually comes down to needing the extra space in the bed or not. I have found out from my previous truck a short bed Superduty that I didn't need the 8' bed, nor wanted it. After many years of fifth wheeling, I actually carry less, and less all the time. In my bed is the hitch , fifth wheel electrical cord, and one propane bottle for the BBQ. Our trips are anywhere from 1-3 months, and have never wanted or needed anything that this Mega Cab wouldn't do .

IMO one has to have a good reason to have a long bed, sliding hitches are not a valid reason, nor should one base their decision on it, too many options that out weigh any real hassle or messing with a manual slider.

Cummins2014 , Dec 17, 2016
  18. buntster

Since your original question is between the Mega (SB) and the crew (LB), you're not talking about a difference in wheelbase or turning radius -- thus driving the truck (and parking it) are the same either way.

That said, I've had exactly one truck in my life with less than an 8' bed, and I cussed it nearly every time I used the truck to haul something. It was a 1/2 ton, so I never considered towing anything from the bed (5th wheel or goose-neck) -- but I wouldn't want to do it regularly in a shortbed truck.

But that's just me, and my experience started when short-bed trucks weren't the norm -- there are PLENTY of goose-neck and 5th wheel setups that accommodate a short-bed truck just fine. it's just not my preference.

So for my money, it comes down to how you intend to use the truck. If most of your hauling will be loads in the bed, and trailering from the bumper, the Mega cab is a fine option, especially with kids and/or pets...and more covered cargo space in the back of the cab.

If you're going to haul a 5th wheel or goose-neck regularly, and/or plan a toolbox (or auxiliary fuel tank) the 8' bed is really really nice, and a crew cab is lots of room too!

One thing is for sure: If you're on the fence, odds are pretty good that either decision will work out fine. If you HAVE to have either the Mega or the long-bed, you'd know that for sure. You'll be able to work around any other limitations you encounter.

I'll qualify all this by saying this though: I'm so married to an 8' bed after my experience with a short bed that the only reason I didn't seriously consider an ecodiesel 1500 for my needs is that I couldn't get it with an 8' bed. I've had my last shortbed truck....so I MAY be just a WEE bit jaded, and you might consider taking my advice with a grain (or block) of salt. :)

buntster , Dec 17, 2016
  19. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"I've had exactly one truck in my life with less than an 8' bed, and I cussed it nearly every time I used the truck to haul something"

Same here! I had a 77 GMC 2wd Shorty, it was a great truck but being in construction it SUCKED!!!

Cummins12V98 , Dec 17, 2016
  20. Cummins2014

I agree some need the long bed for construction,although I see a lot of construction guys with short beds , towing enclosed trailers. My son has his own business, he always buys the Ram short bed, he's had both the Mega Cab ,and crew cab. He tows a 16' enclosed trailer, everything goes in it, more accessible, longer etc. He actually never uses the bed much other then hauling his dog around :)

There is no wrong answer here, just depends on needs. I absolutely don't NEED a long bed. I had long beds up until 98, then I bought the early 99 Superduty short bed crew cab, never looked back. Never missed the long beds, never really needed one to start with. Have always had a utility trailer of some sort for hauling ATV's, any hauling, lumber , sheetrock, etc, got done with the trailer. IMO utility trailers are easier to load, less chance of damage to the truck. Again PERSONAL NEEDS, no wrong choice.

Cummins2014 , Dec 17, 2016