Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM TDR MEMBER

Because of the unknown quality and lubricity of diesel fuel across the country, should I use an additive ? What are the best ones available?

2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

86k with fuel from the West half of the Country and no issues. Best bet is to use OE fuel filters at 15k intervals.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 10, 2021
  3. DonFitzwater

Not in my opinion. When I stopped using fuel additives and snake oil......years ago, I stopped having injector problems.

DonFitzwater , Nov 10, 2021
  4. BLNRAY

buy fuel from high volume stations,use fleetguard filters

BLNRAY , Nov 10, 2021
  5. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

The biggest issue I have seen is water or dirt in the fuel and no additive can really help that, Diesel itself is pretty standardized so shouldn't be poor fuel quality just the contaminates in it that are a problem.

AEdelheit , Nov 10, 2021
  6. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I have an early 6.7L truck with 144,000 miles on the OD. I have towed out east as far as Maine and down to Florida, also as far west as Utah and Arizona. With no fuel issues at all but, I do not use a ma and pa station when filling up. I am willing to pay the extra cents to use a high-volume truck stop when I am away from home. I know the fuel turnover rate is higher at a major truck stop than a ma and pa station. When I am near my house I always fill-up at the same local station.

My truck also has additional fuel filtering capability installed. I installed the Glacier Diesel fuel filter kit on my 2008 truck in 2009. The filter number for this filter is FF5320. My primary filter is changed every 15K and the secondary is changed every 30K.

I do use Diesel Power Service products only in the winter months for anti-gelling prevention. Since the truck might sit for a week at a time, since it is not my daily driver now.

Jim W , Nov 11, 2021
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I only use them on an irregular basis for specific benefits, like cold flow or Cetane improvement when I want it. Otherwise I just run fuel from high volume stations.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    AH64ID , Nov 11, 2021
    bcbender likes this.
  8. R.Taylor

OptiLube XPD is my choice esp with my CP4. My CP3 equipped 3 liter V6 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Sprinter work van gets some every 4th fill up. I only use Chevron... The refinery is only 30 miles from home! Both my 06 trucks would get a quart of Lucas synthetic low-ash 2-Stroke oil at every fill up but that was in the olden days of only having a cat (or not). I've yet to have any fuel system issues old trucks or new ones.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    R.Taylor , Nov 11, 2021