1. Axekicker TDR MEMBER

I'm tired of removing my cold-air kit every time I change the oil-filter so I want to install a dual-filtration (regular & bypass) remote kit. Questions directed toward young and/or old-hands out there with some past experience in this area, include: 1) Should I stick with an established kit-maker (Amsoil, etc) or purchase separate pieces-parts and assemble my own? 2) Where is the best place to mount the head-unit, in your experience, and where are the not-so-good places to mount it, 3) best hoses to use and which to 'not' use, 4) other do's and dont's etc. I'd rather learn from 'our' collective mistakes & successes, than my own, at this point in life. Please feel free to post some photo's of your installation with your recommendations. You know... the 'thousand-word' thing.

Axekicker , Mar 7, 2024
  2. NIsaacs

3. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@Axekicker, One the link @NIsaacs has provided, I like to thread I did with the Amsoil dual filter kit. Any questions, feel free to message me and I'll give full run down. Like having in area for easy access and draining. With the filter plug, over the tire thru the fender well wasn't that bad of a job. Don't skimp on the hoses! I used 2 wire 1/2" hydraulic hoses on mine. Also a skid plate is warranted to protect filters!

Topzide , Mar 7, 2024
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

On my 05 I ended up using a single remote bypass kit and leaving the OEM filter in place. I had planned on using an Amsoil dual remote setup but couldn’t find anywhere I was comfortable mounting it vertically. I spend lots of time on back roads and didn’t want the vulnerability of filters hanging down, even with a skid plate.

I don’t recall the main filter on my 05 being a pain to change from the bottom, but with Amsoil oil and filters it was a once a year change.

AH64ID , Mar 7, 2024
    bcbender and CVR222NV like this.
  5. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

I also kept the OEM filter in place and ran Amsoil By-Pass filter to the top of the passenger side firewall plumbed with stainless steel lines and AN fittings. I also plumbed in a fitting for an oil pressure sensor, originally for my CTS set up but switched to an Isspro gauge. I also did not want to have the filters hanging under the truck given the off roading I do.

CVR222NV , Mar 7, 2024
    AH64ID likes this.
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I've got 1/4" perforated plate as my skid plate. Would take quite a bit to get to filters. Better protection then where the factories put the stock filter on some vehicles! I looked hard at where and how to protect. On frame rail with plate around the mounts were it won't move up. Great having a welder to custom make the protection. Has served me well where I travel and conditions. Just be smart and try to think it fully through. Good luck with mods.

Topzide , Mar 7, 2024
    AH64ID likes this.
  7. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

I had mounted my Amsoil bypass filter on the frame rail under the passenger seat, and used some diamond plate from Home Depot that I bent and screwed into the frame rail and it protected my filter for the 10+ years I had it.

bigceltic , Mar 7, 2024
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Same place I put my single remote (horizontal), there just wasn't room for the dual to fit my liking.

AH64ID , Mar 7, 2024
  9. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Same on my 04.. easy peazy... no need to remove anything as it is direct access from below, heck I always did it while under there draining the oil so I was in and out once. Not sure I'd pay for the expense and risk to relocate just for access, but thats my $0.02.

bcbender , Mar 7, 2024
    06 Dodge and AH64ID like this.
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Easy access from below, done a hundred times.
    Filter is half empty if the oil is drained from the pan first, new goes on dry. Perfect

Ozymandias , Mar 7, 2024
  11. tjm

i cover the oil filter in a zip lock bag after its been loosened. remove from bottom is pretty easy - once a year for me

bigceltic likes this.
  12. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

Same here. No issues and, more importantly, no mess!

bigceltic , Mar 8, 2024
  13. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I had a dual bypass on my 01. I used the amsoil filter setup. At the time there was a member IIRC his name was Jleneord or something like that he was a machinist and was from Connecticut. Though it has been over 20 years since I purchased it from him. He made a mount for the unit that hung off of the passenger side battery mount. No idea if he is still an active member and if so if he even still makes the mount. It did work very well. Unsure if it would fit a third gen truck or not.
    As others have said dont skimp on the hoses. The amsoil kit did come with hoses iirc but I didnt care for them and switched them for some metal braided with AN fittings. Not that you need to go that route but it did work well but any hydraulic shop could probably fix you up for fairly cheap.
    I did end up taking it off after a couple hundred k miles don't remember why though.

BarryG , Mar 8, 2024