Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrypermann

In issue 116 I read with interest about the Frantz oil bypass filter. Been aware of this filter since the late 1960's. Good bypass filter, used the Frantz in several cars over the years. Believe this filter originally was produced/manufactured in Stockton, Calif. Not sure. Wonder if TDR has checked the FS2000 oil bypass filer? In my opinion I believe the FS2000 is a better constructed filter but I am not saying it filters better, don't know. My 2018 Ram has the FS2000 filter installed and there is still clarity of the oil on the oil dipstick. Current mileage on my truck is 45,000+
    On another subject I've been trying to find/locate the DTC trouble codes book as mentioned in issue 116 without any luck. I probably do not know how to navigate your website and I may not be as computer literate as needed. I am truly interested in obtaining this trouble code book. Can you help?

larrypermann , Jun 4, 2022
  2. NIsaacs

3. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Others have chimed in on the bypass subject before and stated that it's not needed on our newer trucks due to the oil quality and spec. I've got an older Amsoil dual filter bypass setup on my truck. This allows a full flow and bypass mount side by side. I like the extra filtration and capacity it has added! I've got mine mounted below passenger floor board on side of frame. Made skid plate to protect the setup. One hiccup was original hose rubbed shock stud and developed a hole! Now they're 1/2" hydraulic hoses. Will be changing out bypass for the first time this fall at 2 years and less then the 600 hr mark. It's your truck, your choice! The best part about location is being able to get to the filters!!!!!!!! I can run any filter that has 1-16" thread in either location. If you want to due a bypass setup, go for it! Some put lights, tires, lifts and just about anything else, why not a bypass. Enjoy these trucks!

Topzide , Jun 5, 2022
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I ran a bypass on my 05. I used the Amsoil EaBP-110 as the filter had the best specs, short of a centrifuge.

I don't have one on my 18 because their effectiveness just isn't worth the cost to me anymore. IMHO the main benefit is soot removal, but modern oils make that very difficult so what is actually gained? The reason oils make it difficult is because they all have additives to keep the soot from agglomerating and thickening, these additives make the soot nearly impossible to filter out as they are sub-micron in size.

Bypass filters are also great at filtering out wear metals in the 2µ+ micron range, but are those benefits quantifiable? The Donaldson DBL7349 is 59.97% efficient at 7µ, and absolute at 15µ, far better than the OEM filter and really not much worse than a bypass where it counts. When you factor in the quality of oils, modern full flow filter options, and the quality of machining it's just hard to justify the cost.

The ISB doesn't fail for oil related issued when it receives regular maintenance, heck it can go 500K+ on the cheapest oil and filter.

Extended intervals are also more difficult on modern diesels since fuel dilution can become an issue with longer OCI's and bypass won't do anything for that.

I still have a bypass filter on my 03 4Runner with 217K miles on it and just changed it. It gets changed every 2 years, thou with the age/mileage I probably won't change it again and just remove it in 2 years.

At the end of the day they certainly don't hurt anything and we all spend money on things without any return on it, so do what you want... it's the great thing about options.

AH64ID , Jun 5, 2022
    Ozymandias likes this.