1. LarryB

I just added to my site a chart of my mileage for my last trip from Seattle to Cabo San Lucas. Average just under 14mpg at 17,000+ for 5000mi. Interesting, the last column is the accumilated average. Notice how it settles down as the total miles get higher. see it at http://fostertruck.com/cummins/102000update/default.htm Go to the bottom of the page.

LarryB , Jan 1, 2002
  2. doorman

Nice Job

Really looks nice Larry. I know you are proud of it.

doorman , Jan 2, 2002
  3. RThompson

Larry, very nice job putting your RV together. I considered goiing that route so we could take our Sami along when we travel.

What is the weight of the unit less the trailer? We travel a lot and with 5er it is difficult to take any toys along. Looks like you have that problem covered towing a 2 axle trailer. You live in one of my favorite places to visit. Tides Tav is great for burgers and beer.

:D :D

RThompson , Jan 7, 2002
  4. LarryB

RT

Thanks, It is a real swiss army knife. A little bit of hotrod, enough room but tight for my family, solar electric system, take along a boat, Samurai, motorcycle in trailer. It really works well. Weight of the motorhome is 9500 empty. We can pack 1500lbs of stuff and people in it and the trailer loaded weighs 6000lbs. Still pulls all hills in 5th. I carry a top box and mid box of tools, outboard, gas cans, propane tanks, barbQ, bicycles, snorkle gear, ect. all locked up in the trailer. This year I added a 100gal aluminum tank with transfer pump to the trailer. I can now carry a total of 185gal and won't have to buy fuel for 2500mi. The Samurai is also a diesel so I only carry gasoline for the outboard. The Sam is a perfect vehicle to have along, carry 4 people, convertable, great in any weather or conditions, goes about anywhere.

It's hard to find an RV that does everything you want. This setup gives us a lot of options. The biggist thing I give up is room, but then we like to spend most of our time outside. It's still a lot roomier than a camper.

Wife and I had dinner at the Tides just the other night. In the summer we take her ski boat and go there by boat. Makes a nice evening out. No traffic that way. :D

Larry

Last edited: Jan 7, 2002
    LarryB , Jan 7, 2002
  5. MUDDY

a diesel in the sami. larry. give us the details. whatcha got in there

MUDDY , Jan 8, 2002
  6. LarryB

Mud

When I started looking for the ideal "dingy" for my motorhome I first tried towing my diesel Rabbit PU. It worked great except if you even looked at sand it would get stuck. I stumbled across a magazine article showing a VW/diesel/Samurai conversion, "THAT"S IT!" I even had a Jetta diesel I had just bought for $100. The kit was a bit spendy but ya do what ya gotta do. If you go to this site http://keltec.com/hardware/index.html you will probably find more info than you need. Everyone comments "Hey, Samurai's don't come in diesel, Cool!". It gets in the low 30mpg range. It will idle over anything as I have a low transfer case gear set, does about 15mph in 5th low range. I put Toyota Celica power steering in it because diff lock in the front can be a real handful offroad. It's a pretty cool little toy and can open up a lot of areas when traveling in the motorhome. Plus my wife gets her convertable:D

Thanks for your interest,

Larry

Exploring just outside LaPaz, Baja, Mexico

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
    LarryB , Jan 8, 2002
  7. MUDDY

boy larry

i was pretty impressed with your mtrhome and how you have it set up. now im pretty darned impressed with the off road transportation you haul behind it.

a lower geared t-case and some lockers along with a diesel engine with enough trq to do the job should make for an enjoyable rig. i had 4 of those samis and i sure woulda liked to have em set up like you got yours.

MUDDY , Jan 8, 2002