1. MidwestMotorman

Long time and no posts for me... .

One quick question, does anyone know who makes the "Road Boss" brand of car/equipment trailers? I have tried to track down info on the net with no luck. I found a really cheap (I think) one that is hardly used, and would like to know some build info and pricing. A website to go to would really help.

Thanks for the help in advance.

MidwestMotorman , Jan 13, 2002
  2. Eric Horne

I have a 35 foot Road Boss tri-axle. Mine is marked with big white letters on the hitch beam and has an outline of Oklahoma in between the words. It is made by Jamie's Welding.

Here is their contact info:

Jamie's Welding

Rt. 1 Box 310A

Pauls Valley, OK 73075

(405) 238-3386

I had to contact them about getting a new data plate for my trailer since the previous owner took it off.

This is the only thing I don't like about the trailer. The deck is 30 foot and the beaver tail is 5 feet. The steel deck plate on the beaver tail will raise to give me a 35 foot flat deck, but the main frame stays rigid. With the back axle around 10 feet from the back of the trailer and having only 6 inches from the bottom of the beaver tail to the road, I drag the back of the trailer allot. I am going to build a hinge system like my buddys Corn Pro trailer so I can raise the main frame to gain clearance.

My trailer pulls great and came with two bulldog trailer jacks to better support the front when unhooking from a loaded trailer. The axles are torson bar types. The wiring runs along the main frame in a heavy plastic sleeve. The main beams as well as all the hitch beams are 14 inch I-beams.

That's all I can think of. I wouldn't shy away from another one if I needed it. Just look it over real good. Get yourself a piece of card board and a flashlight and inspect it for cracks.

Best of Luck,

Eric

Eric Horne , Jan 13, 2002
  3. QRTRHRS

Ditto on dragging the tail. I just sold my 14k 20' plus 5' beavertail Road Boss. Pluses, reasonably priced (4200) two years ago at Farm Show prices. 12" main frame members. Split beavertail, ie; two diamond plated sections with a four foot piece of angle that slid out the back to cantilever and make the deck easy to level out. Nice clean welding.

Minuses, surface rust on the hidden areas. (Some trailer makers do a better prep and paint job but then you pay for it. ) Deck boards fastened with 1/4" torx self tappers that sheared off. They were a "bugger" to remove and replace. And of course, the tail dragging. The only other thing I could say is I had a frequency of vibration in combination with my extended cab that made load placement critical. Else it would beat on you. Was it the trailer or the truck? Who knows.

Overall, I would rate these trailers a good buy. Everyone who ever saw it liked it. I was thinking hay hauling when I bought it but ended up using it minimally for that. My property is hilly and tight to get around. I decided a 20' overall deck low profile or tilt deck will work better so am shopping around for one.

QRTRHRS , Jan 13, 2002
  4. MidwestMotorman

thanks for info

Thanks for the info guys.

The trailer I am interested in is an 18' tandem axle trailer, tandem hitch, with a 2' dovetail. It has a 6" channel frame, 6k axles which both brake, 225/75R15 tires, has breakaway kit, is 84" between fenders, slide-in ramps, all wood floor, and has been used three times. All for $1100. I can not find anything close to this for the money, and I wanted to know what these cost new.

I do not know how expensive/cheap they are. My local trailer dealer has a 96 Road Boss 18' gooseneck deckover, with beavertail, with tandem 7k axles with eight bolt hubs for $2250.

MidwestMotorman , Jan 14, 2002
  5. Okie-Go

I have kind of the reverse problem. I have a 20ft. gooseneck lowboy. It is super for hauling wood or a jeep. Has 3" pipe top rail about 12 inches high. It has 2-7000lb axles with brakes on all 4 8lug tires. I kind of wish I had the flat bed to haul tractors and round bales of hay on. It would be a little higher to load firewood on though. Decisions, Descisions

Okie-Go , Jan 14, 2002
  6. QRTRHRS

Okie-Go,

Tell us some more about your trailer. What make? Any stress cracks around the gooseneck? What kind of suspension?

If you caught the end of my first reply to this post, I had the deck over but am after a lowboy. I figure with 82-83" between the wheelwells, I can get my smaller tractor on no problem. I haul a lot of building and fencing materials. It gets old jumping up and down off that deck. My bigger tractor weighs in at 16k plus. Looking at the times I really need to move that, I just get someone else to do it for me. It's hard to find a trailer to fit all your needs.

nathanbush, both those prices sound good to me.

QRTRHRS , Jan 14, 2002
  7. MidwestMotorman

update

I called the number Eric gave me, and said I wanted to talk to a sales rep about trailer info. After about five seconds, I was connected to Jamie, the owner! Sounded like a real nice guy, and he answered my questions.

Also told me that both Boss trailers were an excellent buy. I told him I was part of the TDR and had some comments from current owners. He was pleased, and also said no one had ever complained about dragging the tail of the trailer.

Hurrah for the help from the TDR and its members!

MidwestMotorman , Jan 14, 2002
  8. Okie-Go

I don't know what you want me to tell you. I can't recall if it is a Load Pro or Load Trail. it is 82"X 20ft. long. It has brakes on all tires,2 7,000 lb. axles, 8lug white spoke wheels with load range E(10 ply) tires and a spare. It has a wood treated floor, has the 2 5/16 ball with the adjustable stem. Battery brake away system. Has a hitch mount in the rear to pull a smaller trailer behind it. (wired for lights) I built some removable sideboards 28" tall out of treated boards that I slide in the stake pockets for hauling wood. I have the trailer wired so it fits the travel trailer plug in the bed of the Okie-Go. I bought it brand new,(2000) model I have not seen any cracks any where on the trailer at all. Black with the red and silver tape on it. The most weight is the 12,360 lbs of wood I hauled on it. Average load has usually been a friends Jeep or 2500 lbs of corn to go to the farm with. At 14,000 gvw I was close to maximum with the wood but not over. I think the empty hitch weight was 900 lb. It has a drop down bully dog jack. It pulls like a dream and no-one has pulled it but me from the time I brought it home. Dang I sound like a salesman pert near.

Okie-Go , Jan 14, 2002
  9. Ray Torresdal

local dealer?

Is Orange City trailer your local dealer, Nathan??? I have a trailer picked out, can't beat their price, just need to gather funds. ray

Ray Torresdal , Jan 15, 2002
  10. MidwestMotorman

Ray

Yes. O-C Trailer is my local trailer supply business. They are about a half hour away. Sometimes they have good deals, and sometimes not. They are so busy that it can be hard to get a good one-to-one chat with a salesperson, which is when one gets the best deals.

MidwestMotorman , Jan 15, 2002
  11. Briar Hopper

QRTRHRS, and all, Indiana is chock full of great deals/prices on all manner and brand of trailers. Many are manufactured there, other than RV's.

The International Farm Show in Louisville, KY, biggest one in the nation, Feb. 16 through 19, also will have quite a few trailer dealers on display. Five huge fairgrounds buildings full of vendors, farm equipment, tools, and miscellaneous, in addition to four nights of truck & tractor pulls- INDOORS .

(Brian, I'll get you brochures & prices if you want me to, and mail them to you)

Briar Hopper , Jan 15, 2002
  12. MidwestMotorman

Thats right...

Farm shows, county fairs, equipment displays, etc are all great places to get huge savings on trailers and anything else.

My favorite spot for trailer searching is findatrailer.com

You can find lots of venders and manufacturers of trailers.

MidwestMotorman , Jan 16, 2002
  13. QRTRHRS

Briar, I'll take you up on that offer. I agree on the shows. Great entertainment overall. Where else can you crawl in/around/under every make and model known to man to compare features and construction? Not to mention generally good prices.

QRTRHRS , Jan 16, 2002