1. Turbo Trucker

Can you say Cummins power? :)

[​IMG]#ad

Turbo Trucker , Jan 7, 2002
  2. Jim Fulmer

Hot dang, I'm going to go out there and say that weights 22-24k, is that about right, Impressive!

Jim

Jim Fulmer , Jan 7, 2002
  3. moparguy

Good looking rig. I'm gonna guess about 27k total. I've always wondered how that setup pulled. My GVCW with the backhoe is about 27k, pulls great. But it looks to me like a car hauler would have a lot of pin weight. So, what's the pin or rear axel weight (truck)?

Again, looking good.

moparguy , Jan 7, 2002
  4. Turbo Trucker

Thanks! Weight is somewhere around 28-29,000. I'm not sure about the rear axle weight, but as you can see it's squished down quite a bit. It pulls pretty good and rides nicely as long as you're on a smooth road.

5. DRR-24V

How Does It Stop?

Just wondering how it stops? Do you have an exhaust brake I hope?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DRR-24V , Jan 7, 2002
  6. Mactruck

Just what I like to see.

A Dodge pulling not 1, not 2, but 3 Phords. :cool:

Mactruck , Jan 7, 2002
  7. Turbo Trucker

Re: How Does It Stop?

It doesn't stop too good, the trailer brakes suck and I don't have an exhaust brake yet. I keep a safe distance when I'm loaded like that.

8. bigkid59

Nice looking rig!

This brings back some memories. About 6 or 7 years ago I was involved in a car hauling venture. I had a partner who had a Freightliner with a regular car hauling trailer and I had a 36 foot fifth wheel trailer, similar to yours but shorter, that I sometimes pulled a tow dolly behind.

I started off with a 1 ton Chevrolet with a 350/4 speed combination. That poor little 350 ran most of the time with its tongue hanging out. Probably the worst I ever treated it was a trip hauling 2 1992 Lincoln Town Cars on the trailer and a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis on the dolly from Memphis to Kansas City. I have had 2 full size vans on the trailer with a car on the dolly, but not for very far.

The poor little Chevy did all it could but I realized that it was way too small for what I was doing. So I went out and upsized to a GMC Brigadeer single axle tractor with a 6-71 Detroit and a MT654CR Allison transmission. Empty or fully loaded this truck would run 68 MPH at 2100RPM, which was governed speed. It would do this day in and day out while getting 7 to 7 1/2 miles per gallon. When I bought this tractor I was planning to buy a 6 car trailer but never did.

I wish I had known what the Dodge/Cummins could do back then. I would have been going that way.

bigkid59 , Jan 7, 2002
  9. Okie-Go

I can see why you told me the hill from Phoenix to Flagstaff was a pretty good pull for you.

Okie-Go , Jan 13, 2002
  10. Fred Swanson

WWaddell, do you park that trailer off of Camelback? I see a very similar trailer over there sometimes?

The Camp Verde Hill is awesome going to Flagstaff, but coming back to Phoenix, there's an equally long grade that you feel goes on forever.

Fred Swanson , Jan 15, 2002
  11. JBrookshire

miles?

WWaddell,

How many miles do you have on your truck? And how long did thae stock clutch last? Just wondering what kind of cost you charge people? I have did some fetching cars for people and charged $1. 00 a mile I know that is cheap just wondering what the going rate is???? Thanks Justin:D

JBrookshire , Jan 15, 2002
  12. Jerky

WWADDELL,

Maybe you can help me with my "which rear end ratio" post. Which ratio do you have in your truck?

Thanks Dean

Jerky , Jan 15, 2002
  13. Turbo Trucker

Fred - Yeah I park it off Camelback, that's where the picture was taken. It's only a mile away from my house.

Justin - I have 83,000 miles. I forget how many miles the stock clutch lasted, it was like 65-70K.

I'm charging from 50-70 cents per mile per car, depending on how many I get on the trailer. I am selling my other vehicle (a 93 GMC Typhoon) so I can get rid of the payment and focus on my business. I need to get an MC number and find a good broker so I can get some steady work.

Dean - I am not totally sure because the sticker is gone, but I believe it is the 3. 55 gear ratio. I posted the RPM and MPH in another thread, and was told it looks like it's 3. 55

Turbo Trucker , Jan 16, 2002