1. Jeff H

Why are 5er trailers so much more expensive than a regular pull behind trailer. I've built trailers in the past. As far as cost to build its no real big difference. But when you go to a trailer dealer they wan't at least 1000 to 1500 more for a 5er. This is a regular flat bed trailer with the same load capacity.

I want to get a 5er flat bed but the price is so much.

I want a trailer with at least a 22 foot bed with drive over fenders. With drive over fenders the height of the bed is at least a foot lower.

Jeff H , Sep 8, 2001
  2. klenger

I think that you are refering to a goose neck trailer. I am by no means very knowledgeable about this, but I don't think they build flat bed trailes that use a 5th wheel hitch. The goose neck hitch is much stronger. I suspect that the price is higher because of the additional structure in the front of the trailer... that and what the market will pay.

good luck.

klenger , Sep 8, 2001
  3. Dkevdog

The way it was explained to me (as Klenger pointed out) is the extra welding and structure that goes in to the front is a big part of it. That, and the trailer's structure is generally square, and 5ers usually have a much taller profile = more materials and in turn money. In my opinion though, the extra $$$ is money well spent.

Kev

Dkevdog , Sep 8, 2001
  4. JohnE

Jeff;

There was a glut of 5'ers over 25 feet on the local market. The Minnesota DOT double rule allowing a trailered boat/ATV/snowmobile/etc. behind a 5'er less than 26 feet caused alot of owners to dump their units in order to qualify.

I'm seeing less and less lately.

Now is a good time to shop for a TT. Winter approaches and the thought of paying yard storage fees until next year may make a seller more willing to negociate.

Good luck

-John

JohnE , Sep 8, 2001
  5. Jeff H

Dad found me a trailer. So I went up to look at it. Its alot bigger than I'm looking for. Its an older one. Trailer must have at least a 30' bed. No suspension axles mounted to the frame. Deck is shot. Rubber is worn. Ouch feels like a rough pull. Looks like a good project to work on.

I see a for sale sighn in front of it. But no number to call. I'll probably stop up in a few weeks. If it has not been sold I'll make an offer.

Jeff H , Sep 10, 2001
  6. Okie-Go

I do agree with the 5er and gooseneck pulling much easier than a tagalong or bumper pull type trailer.

Okie-Go , Sep 10, 2001
  7. JohnE

Embarrassed retraction here.

I thought Jeff was asking on 5'er travel trailers, not flat beds.

The reason a 5'er is usually more money is than a flat bed is that the gross capacity is usually more. Fall is usually a good time to shop for them, too. I know people that have picked used horse trailers for a song and converted them to suit the needs. Check auction sales for postings.

<font size=1>John</font>

JohnE , Sep 10, 2001