1. Gumbs77

This would be my first truck pull and have no clue on what i mite need. Do i need a special hitch? I just want to burn up the stock clutch and have fun doing it. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Gumbs77 , Sep 7, 2001
  2. Jeff H

Let us know how ya do. As far as hitch. Bumper hitch should hold up. Reciever frame mount hitch is usually a little more stronger. Good luck

Jeff H , Sep 8, 2001
  3. Gumbs77

I didn't do so good. I used the wrong gear. I grabed first when I really needed to use second or third. Truck topped out to fast and only pulled 100'. As far as the hitch goes, I used the Reece with a big shackel thru the hole for the ball. They required a 3" ring to hook the sled in. I think I'll hit two more this year and call it good. :D

Jim

Gumbs77 , Sep 9, 2001
  4. Jeff H

Yea I've heard guys starting out in 3rd or 4th in low range. Ya gotta get the rpm's up over 1200 or 1300 rpm to get rolling. If your rpm's are too low boost can be hard to build.

A couple weeks ago I dragged an old Chevy blazer with all the wheels locked up on it. I put my truck in 4 high and started in 1st gear. I kicked the r's up to 1200 and then eased off the clutch. Too easy. Although I bent the tow hooks on the blazer inward.

Hope next time we hear ya made it to the 300' mark.

Jeff H , Sep 10, 2001
  5. DarrellB

I have 4:10s and I start in 3rd gear works pretty good but hard to run with the built autos:( I only go to a couple of pull each year but it's loads of fun,(kind of like bombing the truck you get addicted to it) I'm not pulling this year because my stock clutch is not holding up to well anymore and funds are too short to call Peter at south bend, and I have not found a shop I trust to install the clutch yet. Buy the way the last pull I pulled in I put it in the sandpile. :D but david gresh was there and he has over 700hp and he beat me in the pull off. :mad: but I have to drive mine to work everyday and he trailer his to the pulls, not too fair for a stock class, but this year they wont let him pull because he has propane and water injection. Hopefuly this winter I can get the clutch and be back next year. :cool:

Later

Big D

DarrellB , Sep 10, 2001