Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

I've been having (for about 8 years or so) a situation as follows "and" only when the temps dip below the mid-50s and only until it warms up a bit (trans temp gauge needle bumps off the low reading): in drive, head down the road normally, quick shift into 2nd, then 3rd and then boing into OD, then as you begin to slow down it bucks/acts like a std trans that you forgot to downshift. I put in "N" coast to my stop. I'll leave it idle at the coffee place and then back on the road its fine.

In the summer or temps above the mid-50s its fine.

Joe Mc , Oct 22, 2019
  2. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Sounds like your TC is locking and not unlocking as it should.

BigPapa , Oct 22, 2019
  3. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

That's what it seems like. Anyone have an idea of cause related to outside temperatures? And what could be a fix?

Joe Mc , Oct 22, 2019
  4. DavidC

5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

The one you linked to at Autozone is for a GM. The Mopar number is 52118500. The pan would have to be dropped to replace it. I’m sure there’s a test for it in the SM.

9131C9E4-0FA2-40F1-996F-2DC6D851853F.jpeg #ad
    1CD86F7E-86CD-45AC-8768-2C74447A1F71.jpeg #ad

BigPapa , Oct 22, 2019
  6. DavidC

That's funny, say's it fits my 99 Dodge on my computer.

DavidC , Oct 22, 2019
  7. DavidC

torque converter.jpg #ad

DavidC , Oct 22, 2019
  8. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

I've replaced the transducer, solenoid and VB wiring harness (from plug @ case to VB electrical components) a few years back from a high quality transmission parts only vendor (forget the name?) recommended by my trans builder (VA Beach, Virginia). No change. All grounds cleaned and secured.

David C., I think one of the supposed updates being used is a GM solenoid. EEEKK!!! GM parts on a Dodge, would be like getting Ford grease on my Mopar shirt...

Joe Mc , Oct 22, 2019
  9. DavidC

Joe, this solenoid is for TC lockup, unlike the gov. solenoid and transducer. Not saying it is a problem but maybe a possibility.

DavidC , Oct 22, 2019
  10. DavidC

Since it is a cold/warm issue maybe a valve body issue ?. Metal does funny things when cold sometimes and those solenoids are suppose to seal or open. Not a great option but maybe ?. Maybe check the torque on the valve body bolts ?. Just throwing things out there.

DavidC , Oct 22, 2019
  11. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Not to hijack the thread, but this is what it shows me when I click the link you posted. Just so happens, I have a 1983 S-10 4x4 with a 2.8L V-6, but, I’ve never been on Autozone’s website. Freaky....

88636FE9-D074-44ED-B78B-4CC8F7A1442B.jpeg #ad

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    BigPapa , Oct 22, 2019
  12. DavidC

Maybe Autozone confused.

DavidC , Oct 22, 2019
  13. DavidC

Scott, I am sure Joe welcomes all the help he can get.

DavidC , Oct 22, 2019
  14. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

This is the description of the TC Clutch operation from AllData. It mentions that coolant temp is an input that determines clutch engagement.

8CA44CC3-128C-407A-BC93-5CB2B8D8F363.jpeg #ad

BigPapa , Oct 22, 2019
  15. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Items pictured in post #5 are what was replaced, with no change, a few years back. BTW name of high quality "Trans Only" parts vendor is:
    https://www.transtar1.com/contact#find-a-branch
    Scott and David, thanks for your help. I seem to recall, sometime back while exploring the FSM, there's a temp sensor in the trans and I think it is within either the transducer or solenoid = not a separate sensor. I'll check FSM on this again and also see if there's a test for the coolant temp sensor. Would never have thought the coolant temp "might" be involved. I pity those trying to work on new trucks with all the electronics involved....

Joe Mc , Oct 23, 2019
  16. 2Farr TDR MEMBER

Check your grounds.

2Farr , Nov 4, 2019
  17. TDRAdmin4 Staff Member

Bump

TDRAdmin4 , Dec 28, 2020
  18. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

TDRAdmin4, Thanks for reopening.

Joe Mc , Dec 28, 2020
  19. K7NUT

Not being a transmission guy myself(have that work done for me)but I had an issue with my 47RE when my guy rebuilt my transmission in 2010. When completed, I had issues with the transmission shifting to soon or "erratic"? I gave it back to my transmission guy and he went with a second VB with of course, all MOPAR parts ie solenoids and I believe he uses Superior for his parts? Well after he was getting tired of beating his head against a wall, the mechanic he uses told him about a GM ValveBody with MOPAR plugs, I want to say around $300, to give that a try, it apparently works better, so he got/installed that in my 47RE, guess what, no more shifting issues!
    Now during that time I was also making sure I wasn't dealing with the AC getting into the DC circuit back to the ECM, so I did the foil around the wires close to the alternator, cleaned up the battery contacts, re-did the grounds and even replaced the alternator, which all those did the trick, because I now have smooth sailing, well, I'll get back to smooth sailing, after I get my 3 piece Ex Manifold installed.

K7NUT , Jan 4, 2021
  20. BillBaker

Did you ever swap out for the DNJ unit? Advised in the ATSG manual. s-l400.jpg #ad

BillBaker , Jan 4, 2021