1. Solar1

Hello Folks, I could use your help.
    I have a 1996 12v

Today my original trans lines suffered a major leak which resulted in the stranding of the truck.

I will need to do a good washdown of the underside and a refill/start/engage to track down the leak, but at a quick glance, it seems to be a special quick disconnect line that comes out of the trans heat exchanger cylinder style "tank" under the exhaust manifold.

I had to replace that heat exchanger a while back when i was doing some major other work and restoration.
    I remember trying to find a set of trans lines and that special quick disconnect used there at that heat exchanger but had no luck.

Has anyone run into this on their truck and know a source for lines and disconnects?
    thanks

Solar1 , Mar 31, 2024
  2. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

The cooler lines in the front of the engine?

Cut it off and use some hose and clamps.

Screenshot_20240401_064905_Chrome.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Apr 1, 2024
  3. Solar1

no, it is the trans heat exchanger under the exhaust manifold,
    special quick disconnect

Solar1 , Apr 1, 2024
  4. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Timd32 , Apr 1, 2024
  5. Solar1

i degreased and refilled fluid....started truck put in drive.

after fluid circulated, trans engaged in drive/reverse ok, and no leaks.

with truck running in park, i ever so gently touched the oil line on the heat exchanger with that darn quick disconnect and wham! high pressure leak!. touched it again...leak gone. what a cheesy connector to place in a hard to access location.

thanks for the quickserve link in the thread....i forgot about that as a source for info.

looks like i'll need to cut the line and splice in a new length of line with a flare fitting/connector to adapt to the heat exchanger.
    i'm attaching a photo of the subject connector

Trans Line Heat Exchanger connector.jpg #ad

Solar1 , Apr 1, 2024
  6. Solar1

With more searching (this time using different keywords, and the help of a friend),
    I found a exact replacement for the disconnect....it is Dorman part number 800-701.

I really didn't want to cut the line and retrofit a different fitting in there, at least not until the line needed replacement

Solar1 , Apr 3, 2024
  7. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I get that, on my cooler hard lines to hoses my line I cut was a brand new Dorman line and hose, the one worked the other leaked brand new. I forget if it was the line crimp.

From what I recall it's hose clamped on the radiator side and Quick fitting on the hard line side, so it was / is a wash at that location.

I did not really want to reuse that sad looking short hose on the Heat Exchanger since it was all brand new, but caved when I did not find a replacement that would work.

I also had issues finding the exact fitting that go into the cooler, I had to reuse those as well, but the tapers looked kinda suspect.

No leaks after I finished, but quite a few trys under there with leaking ATF running down. No fun for sure laying on the ground trying to seal all these leaks.

Timd32 , Apr 3, 2024
  8. Solar1

I hear you! Well, Just installed the connector. Good fit, sealed up nice.
    But, from me handling the steel line, now have a new pinhole leak in that steel line. darn.

So now Im back to looking for pre bent lines. Anyone know a source?

Solar1 , Apr 3, 2024
  9. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Rock Auto, but mine were not USA sourced.

I always thought if I had to do this over, I would bring my old one to a local Hydraulics shop.

Timd32 , Apr 3, 2024
    Topzide likes this.