Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prairie Dog

Shocks went in fine and it handles great.
    Decided to check other parts for wear and found the drivers side inner tie rod bad (all others are very tight).
    Certainly not complicated to replace but whats the chance I can do so without messing up the allignment? I thought maybe I could make some marks on the tires, measure and keep it right. Is that realistsic?
    I always got my cars alligned after that sort of repair but I hate taking my truck to anyone (and I'm getting cheaper..).

I would like to hear any tips you guys might have in ragards making measurements so I don't have to take it to the allignment shop.

Scott

Prairie Dog , Jun 30, 2019
  2. Regcabguy

Maybe state your location and question members for a referral.

Regcabguy , Jun 30, 2019
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  3. Prairie Dog

I'm in Bothell Wa. but I planned on doing the work myself.
    When did the forum get rid of the location indicator on our avatars?

Prairie Dog , Jun 30, 2019
  4. jgillott TDR MEMBER

i usually just take a couple of measurement points before I disassemble and try and get back as close as possible during assembly. So maybe take one from the inner tie rod out to the center of the outer end and another from the center of both tie rod ends. You could also count threads if you have identical parts.

That should get you close, but you will need to get a proper alignment to make sure it is perfect at some point.

jgillott , Jun 30, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD and Ozymandias like this.
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Do you have the T-Steering already?
    Otherwise now would be a good time to switch over.

Ozymandias , Jun 30, 2019
  6. Prairie Dog

Thanks for the comments. I still have the old style steering, which I'm OK with.
    I tried to find OEM parts but FCA doesn't seem to support the old style linkage so I went with Moog.
    The tough part is this tie-rod is about 3 feet long and oddly shaped. So it's hard to find points to measure from.
    I'll spend some quality time under it tomorrow and try to figure out where I can measure from.

Scott

Prairie Dog , Jul 1, 2019
  7. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Install the new tie rod as close as possible for proper length - no need to get too picky.

Jack up a front wheel and spray some white paint onto the tread of the tire while rotating the tire. When the paint dries, using a makeshift tool with a block of wood and scribe a line into the paint while rotating the tire. Repeat for the other tire.

Lower the truck to the ground. Start the engine and back up the truck a few feet and then come forward. Measure the distance between the scribed lines on the front of the tire and on the rear of the tire. Keep the tape as high and uniform as possible. Note the difference of the two measurements. You are striving for no more than 0 to 1/32" toed in (front distance to be shorter that rear distance). Use the adjustment sleeve to make changes. Remember to always backup the truck and then pull forward before taking measurements.

You may need to use the drag link adjustment sleeve to center the steering wheel after the toe adjustment is completed.

You will be happy with the results and you will save some money.

- John

petersonj , Jul 1, 2019
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  8. DavidC

I questioned that quite a while ago, maybe the beginning of 2019. They told me it was a privacy issue and maybe some new Fed. law. Can't really remember the specifics. It was nice with some posts to know where the person was though without asking.

DavidC , Jul 1, 2019
    Prairie Dog and PBJ2500CTD like this.