Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM TDR MEMBER

Noticed front tires having inside tread wear as cupping, is that 4X4 Dodge truck normal? If not what can de done on a 86,000 mile truck? I have 19.5" tires and don't want to wear them out prematurely. If I need front end work I will need to find a good alignment shop located close to eastern Iowa any suggestions?

2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Do a proper alignment, that is for sure not normal.
    Seems like you have a toe-out setting instead of to toe-in close to neutral.
    May also check your balljoints, if they are worn out the camber will rise.

Ozymandias , Oct 13, 2015
  3. Mobius1

Agreed. You have an alignment issue, my truck did that when I replaced an outer tie rod. I had to have it professionally aligned.

Mobius1 , Oct 13, 2015
  4. Bob4x4

No camber adjustment on the 4x4 is available(unless you've gotten a bit too much air)toe setting is what you want to hope for

Bob4x4 , Oct 16, 2015
  5. cerberusiam Staff Member

Check wheel bearings and make sure they are not loose also. Any slack will translate to the inside of the tire wear.

cerberusiam , Oct 17, 2015
  6. JPM TDR MEMBER

I'll find out more Monday , but with a slide in camper+ for a total of a 17000lb total combined weight at 80mph+( just once or twice!) did not see any weird handling so far this year.

7. PWong

If the front end was checked fine just do a DIY toe setting to set the toe to a little bit toe-in.
    I did mine on my driveway after replacing the long tie rod end.
    Had to adjust BOTH tie rod ends to center the steering wheel and set the toe.

PWong , Oct 19, 2015
  8. JPM TDR MEMBER

Thanks for all the responses.Going to the shop this morning and will find out what's wrong. I will post my findings asap

9. JPM TDR MEMBER

had negative toe and nothing else wrong, corrected the toe, so I should be good to go!:) Now I gotta do a rotation on those big ole(heavy) 19.5's :eek: