Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TGVET TDR MEMBER

For a while the P, R, N, D, 2nd, 1st indicating was not displaying correctly while in Drive. If I moved the shift lever slightly to N the D would indicate otherwise, while in drive it would not be indicated. All other positions were lit and displaying OK. Some research pointed to a bad TSS also known as a Neutral Safety Switch.

Another thing that pointed to the TSS was while in drive it would intermittently not be shifting properly to OD or while driving at highway speed "50+" inadvertently bump from OD to 3rd at which point I would shift to N and back to drive to recover overdrive.

I took it to a trans shop that I had previously install a new 1st. band and precision built valve body to diagnose with a DRBII. The tech was moving the shift lever from P to 1st through the range and back again to observe what I was experiencing. He was not being very "gentle" for lack of better word about it. My first thought was, "take it easy for Pete sake".. I never shifted like he was doing. He thought there was a little bit of "play" in the lever. Well, at 476,000 miles probably so after all, it's not a new truck.

His thoughts were it could be a bad TSS. Upon leaving the shop shortly thereafter all indications went black. No lit up P, R, N, D, 2nd, 1st or the rest as it should be and also no turn signal "blinking / relay ticking sound".. turn signals work, just no sound or visual console display. I changed the TSS/neutral safety switch in hopes that it was the culprit.

I am not experiencing the previously mentioned "bumping out of OD to 3rd" anymore and it shifts and runs fine. However, I have no lit display showing as I should. The rest of the console display's OK. Fuel, Temp, Oil, Battery.

TGVET , Jan 17, 2023
  2. scotty-u TDR MEMBER

scotty-u , May 27, 2023
  3. scotty-u TDR MEMBER

would like to know if your display was faint, as if the dimmer switch was rotated to almost out. Just tonight I noticed my odometer display to be dim, compared to the gear selector display, and remained on after I turned the key off. Went out after I closed the door. Got back in half hour later, started truck, and NO odometer display with headlights on. Very dim when the headlights are off. Any Ideas? (2005 as well)

scotty-u , May 27, 2023
  4. Rowdy Dalton

Rowdy Dalton , May 28, 2023