Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fpchief

Looking for any advice I can find. I have no Brake lights. Truck is new to me, doing rebuild on it. Replaced Brake light switch, good power at 20a under hood, bulbs are good, all blinkers work. Just no Brake lights including 3rd. Wiring was all cut up going to switch, temporaey replaced all of that. Power is at the white/pink wire at switch but no power going anywhere else. I have used two different brand new switches. Have posted on another forum also. Not desperate but definitely looking for ideas.

Fpchief , Jan 16, 2023
  2. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Here is the circuit from the 2002 FSM. I think it should work for your truck. Note that the wire leaving the brake lamp switch goes to Joint Connector #6. From there it gets divided:

- a wire to the multi-function switch. This switch determines which rear lamps will activate - both stops, left turn with stop, right turn with stop.

- a wire to the high mount stop light. I believe there are two bulbs in this fixture.

Make sure that the bulbs in the high mount light are still good. Don't overlook this step. If the bulbs are good and there is power at terminal #5 of the brake lamp switch, then the problem lies between terminal #5 of the brake lamp switch and the output of Joint Connector #6.

- John

upload_2023-1-17_6-50-8.png #ad

petersonj , Jan 17, 2023
    Michaelsloft likes this.
  3. Fpchief

That's some great info and I will try to get on it after work. Thank you!!!

Fpchief , Jan 17, 2023
  4. Fpchief

I have power to the correct lead to switch. No power leaving switch. I have tried two brand new switches and that just isn't the problem. 3 of the wires going to switch were badly damaged, one melted. Halfway repaired during the years. I think maybe when they fixed wires, the wrong wires are going to wrong terminal. The ppic shows what wires I have going to switch as they were when I started cutting stuff out. Could someone please verify this is where your wires are at on your switch? I hope a couple of mine are in wrong place.

20230116_101155.jpg #ad

Fpchief , Jan 17, 2023
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

upload_2023-1-17_18-21-32.png #ad

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    BigPapa , Jan 17, 2023
    LorenStrodtman and petersonj like this.
  6. Fpchief

A couple of wires were incorrect. I really appreciate yalls help!!!! Been thinking about these brake lights for a week.

Fpchief , Jan 17, 2023
  7. Fpchief

Did not want to start a new thread for this....what is this unknown connector?

20230118_170611.jpg #ad

20230118_170618.jpg #ad

20230118_170625.jpg #ad

Fpchief , Jan 18, 2023