1. Cb Schmidt

Good day and thanks for the add.
    I've recently picked up an 06 5.9 ho with 5"straight pipe from Turbo back and it has the plug in for a tuner but no tuner... apparently it's set to something high as it feels like a rocket.
    Question 1. What is best for quieting this thing down and question 2 how can I go about finding what kind of tuner it had?
    Bought this at auction so I'm not sure yet who owned it before me or I'd ask previous owner.
    Thanks

Cb Schmidt , Sep 14, 2023
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

You're stuck with the programming other then send out the ECM for reprogramming by VIN. Need to look up what was on it from factory and then go from there. You'll need to be careful if loud as it will draw attention and possible inspection with all the emission tampering that has been going on. It sounds like your truck may be afoul of that with straight exhaust. If that's the case, you're own your own. Shops are hesitant to work on do to EPA crack down and fines!

Topzide , Sep 14, 2023
    Cb Schmidt likes this.
  3. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Depending on what your comparing it to the 5.9 can be quick (especially with the 68RFE and 4:10 RaR), You said plug for a tuner.. are you refering to the OBD port or something else? I would not worry too much about it unless it seems / appears something is wrong.. Throw some gauges on to keep an eye on things would ease your mind. 2006 should only have a cat and a giant muffler I believe? so if you want to tame the noise you could go with a 4" turbo back kit, MBRP I think is similar to the silver line system I had on my 04 and I thought it was great.. (of course I had 4:10 gears so no drone issues on the hwy).

bcbender , Sep 14, 2023
    Cb Schmidt likes this.
  4. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

I have a Donaldson M090544 (51") muffler on mine and it works great. No drone towing at all. Here is a thread on it showing what it looks like.
    https://www.turbodieselregister.com...rience-donaldson-m090544.265417/#post-2566257

bigceltic , Sep 14, 2023
    CVR222NV and Cb Schmidt like this.
  5. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

I went with the M090544 51" Donaldson as well and that solved my drone issues. You can get a catalytic converter from Magnaflow which should satisfy smog. I have passed smog with this set up for the last two years.

CVR222NV , Sep 20, 2023
    Cb Schmidt likes this.
  6. Cb Schmidt

Thanks for the replies on this. Not sure what I got myself into. Best i can find out about this truck is that is that it had an EFI live controller, has an oversized turbo [maybe 62 or 64] and 60hp nozzles only on stock injectors. no other mods that i can see other than big cold air box and 5" straight pipe from turbo back.
    With all these unknowns I'm wondering if I can replace turbo and injector nozzles back to stock and have it reset to factory settings?
    I'm new to the tuned and 3rd gen world but I'm learning quickly. Just really don't want the smoke I'm getting.

Cb Schmidt , Sep 20, 2023
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No you can not replace injector nozzles, this is a sure way to disaster.
    An Injector is a calibrated unit, it is not meant to be serviceable by the average Joe.
    Look for a set of BBi Injectors, that's the brand that we recommend here at that Forum as they are proven good units.
    Reset it back to stock is the way to go to get rid of the smoke, these engines burn very clean in stock form.
    Coming to the Tuner, they are all VIN bonded. So you need a new one that has the ability to download a canned stock tune to your ECM. A Smarty JR can do that.

Ozymandias , Sep 20, 2023
    Cb Schmidt likes this.
  8. Cb Schmidt

Thank you for this. I realize I don't have all the info on it but will my larger turbo be an issue with these new injectors and retuning?

9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I don't know about that because I was never a bomber. Let's see what others say that have more knowledge in that direction.

Cb Schmidt likes this.
  10. Cb Schmidt

I'm no bomber myself. Trying to get this truck back to as much stock as I can. Appreciate the advice.

11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

And try to source a stock air filter assembly, all these CAIs are well known to dust out the engine. Sometimes they can be found on Ebay or at your local used parts places.

Cb Schmidt likes this.
  12. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Ozy, when I was still working we sent a bunch (100's) of injectors back to a shop in PA to have them tested on trucks that were contaminated. He would put new nozzles on them for $125 plus the test fee. It was way cheaper than a new injector. He was a Bosch Distributor and bosch got wind of it. He started a new company just for testing and repairing injectors for us specifically and was still flying under the radar when I retired.

sag2 , Sep 21, 2023
  13. Regcabguy

If you're in California a CARB cat doesn't even exist. Cat's are being stolen left and right in San Diego. There's a CARB cat for sale on Craigslist

Regcabguy , Sep 25, 2023