Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBari

I am trying to decide how to repair my 03 cracked dash. I have a couple of options available to me if you have done any of these would you please tell me your experience and post a picture of your final product.

1) Replace dash with aftermarket dash through Geno's. Only comes in black so has to be painted. (does the paint hold up)

2) Cover dash with plastic color matched overlay. (Cloth overlays are out as the truck spends a lot of time in the hay field I do want to able to clean it by wiping it) (How well do these look can you tell they are there.) Really would like to see pictures of his option

3) Repair dash with plastic repair company. (As many cracks as I have cost will get close to dash replacement cost)

4) Do nothing (This is what my wife says to do but my OCD really makes this option the hardest to do)

Cost is somewhat a factor I don't want to be that crazy guy who spends more on a part that what his truck is worth, but I do want it to look as good as it drives.

CBari , Feb 2, 2015
  2. Tuesdak

Cover cracked dash with plastic color matched overlay. Or cloth type dash cover and shake it out now and then. The amount of dust the cloth/carpet hides is impressive. It sounds like a farm truck and vanity like "free from dents", crack free dash, and matching paint are expensive options.

If it doesn't make it go faster it's hard to justify. :-laf

Tuesdak , Feb 2, 2015
  3. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Well I can say that my dash is cracked as well. And as you hard to justify the cost of a new dash on a truck with 300+k miles. I did the molded carpet overlay from Genos. It looks fine but as you mentioned the ocd in me can barely stand it but as time goes by it bothers me less (now a few years). If it was my dd I would go for the replacement dash. However $350(plus a few hours of work) vs $50 and 10 minutes. The cover I got was grey and at certain sun angles it does glare in the windshield. I have been told that black does not glare nearly as much but don't know for sure. I have a 3 gauge pod on my dash and have it screwed down so it impedes me from just shaking it out and as such holds my cover in place and cant remove it without taking the screw out otherwise as a previous poster said a quick shake would take care of it. However that being said I don't think I have ever done anything to it but pick off the chunks of debris that might find its way on it and it looks clean but it is not driving around haying either and is surely full of dust/dirt unseen as it may be.

BarryG , Feb 2, 2015
  4. BMelhuish

The dash cracked in multiple places on my 98 (it's the same dash). I've seen them cracked so bad that there wasn't much left of the dash board. My OCD just couldn't stand it-I HAD to replace the dash. Anything less, and it will keep cracking until nothing is left. No issues with paint, and it's not that difficult of a job to do. I also had a molded cover from another truck that I sold (it had a cracked dash too) that I now use over the new dash.

I think it depends on what you are going to do with your truck. I have no intention of selling the truck and will continue to use it far into the future. With the price of the new trucks.... Nothing beats a good looking ride!

BMelhuish , Feb 3, 2015
  5. User113 TDR MEMBER

Here is my plastic overlay. It was on the truck when I bought it. I really don't want to see what's underneath. The only issue I have is it's a bit noisy at times, but pushing on it will usually quiet it down. phpBlpL5oPM.jpg #ad

phpBlpL5oPM.jpg #ad

User113 , Feb 5, 2015
  6. CBari

Thanks User113 that is what I was wanting to know now I still need to make a choice. I will probable do nothing. I just can't make my self spend 700 on a new dash.

CBari , Feb 5, 2015
  7. BMelhuish

I've seen them on ebay in the $300-350 range. I've also seen them in the range that you stated. I have no idea what the differences are, if any.

BMelhuish , Feb 6, 2015
  8. Crunch

My `03 was the first vehicle I ever purchased new, and the first vehicle I owned that didn't have a cracked dash. One of my first purchases was a Dashmat and sun screen for the windshield. Almost 12 years later and the dash is still intact. Whichever fix you decide on, it will be worth the extra $40 to cover it and protect it, even if it means shaking off the dust now and then. That and never use products like Armor All on your plastics. Those products suck the life out of plastics and make them brittle.

Crunch , Feb 6, 2015
  9. Joseph Donnelly

I'd call the folks at Geno's Garage; they have offered some options and should have good advice for you.

Joseph Donnelly , Feb 6, 2015
  10. AnOldBiker

I somewhat agree with 'Crunch', whatever you do, get a dash cover. I also use Meguiars and wipe the dash and all else down once every month. Doing this, I have never had a crack dash on any vehicle I've ever owned. Many people never seem to understand the sun directly on the dash sucks the life out of it in a very short time.

I also believe in the steps getting in and out of the truck. Ever truck I've seen with torn seats were on the edge where you get in and out. If you constantly drag you weight on the edge overtime you use the truck, the seats edges will wear out. And the excuse of "It's normal for these trucks to have this" is just showing ignorance.

AnOldBiker , Feb 7, 2015
  11. TimBrunett

Cover it. My 2001 was no exception so I had it swapped out at the Dodge dealership. I would not do it again. It was expensive, rattled and the steering column was loose which made the solution worse than the problem. I could have covered it for a fraction of the cost and been fine. On my 2014 I use a folding UV cover and wipe it with Aerospace 303 every month or so and I hope it doesn't repeat but if it does crack I'll cover it.

Good luck with it.
    TB

TimBrunett , Feb 17, 2015
  12. BMelhuish

TB. There is a right and wrong way to install a new dash. Your experience is why I went back to doing all my own work. The steering column bolts in, and you really need to check that out. If it's loose, that is an issue that you should not overlook or accept. (IMHO).

BMelhuish , Feb 17, 2015
  13. TimBrunett

Thanks but the 01 is long gone now. I sold it to a member who is a diesel mechanic that knows about the dash problems in older Rams. We discussed the replaced dash so its nothing new to him and being a full time mechanic I doubt it would be anything more than a bump in the road for him.
    Thanks
    TB

TimBrunett , Feb 17, 2015