Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILIANBG

Hi everyone. I would like some help to pick the proper clutch.

It is a work truck- often carrying heavy loads in the bed, might get a trailer too.

It has to be able to pull all the weight, in heavy traffic, shifting easy. I do not need a drag racer, just a good, reliable clutch. I might add a Smarty in the future, or something else, for a bit better response, but that's it.

I tried searching in past treads, but I do not know what I am doing wrong-I could not find anything.

I am trying to keep the stock pedal feel, I can not have a stiff/hard clutch pedal. It has to be smooth, no issues with reverse, or first gear.

I know, it's all a compromise-you can't get everything perfect, but I want to be as close as I can, and I do not want to have this done twice. Shop rates for this are not cheap, so I am trying to do my part well.

I am trying to find some feedback from Valair clutch owners, as well as other worthy options. I just received a new HD hydraulics from Southbend, and I have read the opinions of their clutches, so I know they are good. I do not know what type of theirs is recommended for my application.

Thank you

ILIANBG , Nov 25, 2009
  2. Rattler

You will hear good things about South Bend, including customer service. I am running thier Con OFE with good results. The only draw back that i could see was a little grabby when backing up. Not bad just different. I would suggest that you call South Bend and explain what your conserns are and what your plans for your truck are. I think they will be able to answer first hand any questions you have. Randy

Rattler , Nov 25, 2009
  3. ILIANBG

Thanks. I actually talked to them twice in the last few days. First- when I ordered the hydraulics, and today for some instructions how to install it. The first time was recommended the Street Double Disc clutch, and today- the ConOFE, so I guess they both will do the job. So I think I will go with the OFE single disc, seems less parts-less to go wrong with.
    By the way, is the OFE in reverse problematic/ what kind of "grabby"?

ILIANBG , Nov 25, 2009
  4. Joseph Donnelly

Peter at South Bend will steer you right if you carefully describe your power mods and usage. After 90,000 miles on my last con-Fe, I just installed another. South Bend quality and customer service are A1.

Joseph Donnelly , Nov 25, 2009
  5. Rattler

When i say grabby, i mean that it is not quite as smooth as the stock set-up when you are backing up. That is not a bad compromize for a clutch that holds so much more. I replaced my stock clutch because with my power upgrades the clutch would slip when i got on it hard. Randy

Rattler , Nov 25, 2009
  6. WardJ

The Con ofe is smooth and a tremendous confidence builder, if you tow. My rig tops out at 14k lbs. and feels like no effort to pull.

WardJ , Nov 25, 2009
  7. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

I thought I replied to this thread last night? :confused:

Must be loosing gray matter - if there's any left?

Anyway, check out the latest TDR magazine there's an excellent article about clutches - South Bend was spoken of highly.

The article talks about: type discs, materials, upgrades to hyd clutch system needed when stepping up - excellent info that will help you to determine what you want "based on your driving style and needs".

Highly recommended reading.

Joe Mc , Nov 26, 2009
  8. ThrottleJockey

I hate that. :-laf "Wheres my post? I know I said something... "

ThrottleJockey , Dec 5, 2009
  9. Pro-Fab

I have heard really good things about Valair, and their prices are fair. A 500 hp single disk should do well for you aplication. It will be somewhat grabby but all it takes is a little getting use to. or If you want a slightly more expensive unit they have great dual disk clutches as well.

Pro-Fab , Dec 8, 2009