Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geusterman TDR MEMBER

... anybody fussy like me about mounting "steps" or "nerfs" to the sheet metal like so many do instead of body mount bolts or frame? I would like to find an aluminum or stainless tube type that is frame or body bolt mount and does not depend on sheet metal. Yuk. George

geusterman , May 24, 2007
  2. TFlory

I bought a set from the dealer that rely on both the sheet metal and brackets to body mount locations. Very well put together: heavy gauge steel plates attach to sheet metal thru existing holes, and heavy gauge steel brackets attach to front/rear body mounting bolts. Looks good and feels stout.

TIM

TFlory , May 25, 2007
  3. robmints

I bought these: Buffalo Bars Nerf Bars

Pretty nice for 200 bucks. They bolt on using the cab mouning bolts. There are lots of nerfs/steps that use the cab mounting bolts though, so if you are looking for something different look around, you will find steps/nerfs that you like that use the cab mounting bolts.

robmints , May 25, 2007
  4. Triton

if you cared, anything you find that mounts to the frame will not be close to the cab. IMO, I don't care for those kind. The nerf bar should look like they're a part of the truck and not a big protrusion.

Pinch weld mounts do work very well. I have N-Fabs that do mount to the weld and have had several weighted friends move their weight up and down on them. Two of them were 350lbs or more and they bars hold great. No squeaking or giving. There's 6 screws mounted into the pinch weld of each side which are plenty of support.

There's a lot of good nerf bar manufacturers out there. Just try to get something powder coated or stainless or you'll have some nasty looking bars in no time.

Triton , May 26, 2007
  5. Lektrikman

Frame mounted nerf bars/steps

I share your dislike for drilling the body sheetmetal ,especially here in Central Ohio where the people can't drive in the winter unless the roads are slathered with road salt. When I bought my 05 quad cab I was looking for a nerf bar design but wanted the added stone chip protection of a running board design as well. I looked at a lot of mounting systems and board designs and settled on the Luverne Mega Step product. It is a stainless steel nerf bar design with a wide rubber coated step attached to it that uses cab mount bolt attach brackets. The Luverne Mega Step design fit close to the body and look very nice, but when you open the door they really offer a lot of step area to get in and out of the cab. I'm very particular about my truck and I'm 100% satisfied with them. Do a Google search for "Luverne Mega Step" and check them out. Lektrikman

Lektrikman , May 27, 2007
  6. Burner

Thanks. I have been looking for quite some time for something that would work. I'd like a nice step but I really want a wide step... this just might do!

The other steps I looked at were from Iron Cross, Rampage, Trail FX, Go Rihno and ICI.

Burner , Jan 4, 2008
  7. DMarkle

I put a set of these on my last Ram 1500 and loved both the look and stability. NO (or minimal) sheet metal tapping (if memory serves me correctly) but did have heavy duty frame mounts.

Grizzly Nerf Bars

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    DMarkle , Jan 4, 2008
  8. PGAdams

I installed MAAP step/nerf bars, no longer available from what i read TDR, latest issue.

Installed with brackets same as factory step bars.

3+ years, no movement, no problems.

PGAdams , Jan 4, 2008
  9. BZieg

Hey i have a set of nerf bars, they are chrome with a black foot step area work really well. They bolt to 2 body to frame mounts and are very secure. I will give you them for free. I live in so. ca. they are in like new condition.

BZieg , Jan 4, 2008
  10. Burner

WOW, what a nice offer!

Burner , Jan 4, 2008
  11. EEdmondson

My Willmore bars mount very securely to existing body holes. Almost 4 years old and no problems. They are wheel to wheel on a regular cab long bed which means the long rear section isn't supported behind the cab. There's a lot of leverage when I step on the rear of the bar and the bar flexes but the mount is solid.

EEdmondson , Jan 4, 2008
  12. Burner

I bit the bullet and bought some Luverne step bars. I'll install them this weekend.

..... thanks for all the replys!

Burner , Jan 4, 2008
  13. SDeVries

I bought some nerf bars from summit racing, they are WESTIN brand chrome plated stainless steel and they work very well. I am 6ft7in tall and 275lbs and these bars hardly move when I stand on them... Hope this helps

Sdevries, Harley Hauler

SDeVries , Jan 10, 2008
  14. DZLFREK

Anyone ever use Toughcountry? Nice looking product.

DZLFREK , Jan 12, 2008
  15. LRutigliano

I have a set of Westin chrome nerf bars. They mount to the 4 cab mounts. You remove the 5" long cap screw on all 4 corners and put the nerf bar bracket up against the rubber pads.

They also have 4 diagonal brackets that mount to the body, but you don't have to drill holes. You simply remove the plastic drain grommets and install their t-nut on the hole.

They are very tough and installed very easily. Had them now for 5 yrs with no issues... . My truck is 5yrs old already??? :{

A word of caution, I originally got the powder coated black ones because I was cheap... and they scratched on the garage floor while I was getting ready to install. Took them back, got the chrome and never looked back. ;)

Thanks,

Louis

LRutigliano , Jan 12, 2008
  16. geusterman TDR MEMBER

Thanks all and even the free offer on the set of bars! Sweet! I went ahead and built a set that are actually steps like grampa's but all aluminum sheet with C channel to match my flatbed and tool boxes. No mud flying up on body now. Has a flashing that runs up in fender well. Nother 10 years of mods and this truck will be done! George

geusterman , Jul 24, 2008
  17. TimothyLong

I have the Westin chrome nerf bars as well. They install on the frame and the procedure isn't that difficult. My wife has a set on her '04 2500 too. IMHO, the chrome ones look a lot nicer.

TimothyLong , Jul 24, 2008