Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty B

Ordered a Genos garage oil test kit. Set up an online account with Horizon eoilreports.com Took a sample last week. Posting my first oil analysis report on the 1996 with 124K miles I purchased last August. From what I can tell everything is OK. Silicon levels high (54) - source could be from sand or silicone from recent maintenance? Magnesium (low) and Calcium (high) indicating oil detergent breakdown. Anyone else have thoughts? @GAmes ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Scotty B , Apr 12, 2022
  2. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Did you do any recent maintenance in a dirty environment, and I mean really dirty? I have never had a sample come back over 13 except once. I had a 46 and discovered my air filter had a hole in it. Iron is high for only 6000 miles too. Probably due to the silicon. By chance do you have a BHAF? I don't pay any attention to the oil additive numbers. The lab doesn't always have the current manufacturer combo and if you happen to mix two brands it really skews the numbers.

GAmes , Apr 13, 2022
    Diesel Gunner and Scotty B like this.
  3. Scotty B

I did not do any maintenance in extremely dirty environment. I keep my shop clean. Air filter looks new - it is stock, but I can replace as a precaution. Yes, high on the iron, but was not flagged by the lab. Lots of iron parts in the motor, but not sure what would cause that either. What is BHAF?

I have done a lot of maintenance, including KDP fix, replaced exhaust manifold with a Steed Speed, and new PacBrake with new valve springs, 4k governor springs, new fuel plate, new injectors.

Maybe take another sample in 1K miles?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Scotty B , Apr 13, 2022
  4. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Big Honkin' Air Filter - no concern as your air filter is stock. You do not mention when the KDP fix, new valve springs, and new injector work was done. If it is recent, it could be the cause of the high silicon numbers.

Also, closely inspect your intake plumbing from the air filter box to the turbo compressor intake for any holes or tears (especially any flexible components).

- John

petersonj , Apr 13, 2022
    Matt42, Tuesdak and Scotty B like this.
  5. Big E

The Iron reading was not flagged because it is not high. Iron readings will track higher the longer the oil is in the sump. If you sample again in 1K it will show the same or higher. Unless the oil was changed of course.

Make sure your air filter is sealing good in the air box. Also the hose connections between the air box and turbo.

Silicon can leach into the oil from RTV sealers. If you used sealers in your KDP fix or other maintenance it could be coming from that.

If it were my truck, I would change the oil and filter and sample again at the next interval.

Big E , Apr 13, 2022
    Scotty B likes this.
  6. Scotty B

Scotty B , Apr 13, 2022
  7. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Good info above. I wouldn't resample at 1000. I'm assuming you did an oil & filter change. Iron isn't high enough to do damage and it will increase with more miles. The rule of thumb I have heard is 1 ppm per 1000 miles is normal, thus my statement. The most relevent is to check the intake air system. As I said, my high silicon was due to a faulty filter.

GAmes , Apr 13, 2022
  8. Scotty B

@GAmes Thank you for the input. The precise mileage on the truck at sample was 128,911 so, 1ppm iron per 1K fits. Yes, I changed the oil and filter with the oil sample. Will re-check the intake and air filter.

The truck was abused, but only had 124K on it when I bought it. The PO was a dumbass and put a #6 plate - full forward, with 4" exhaust no gauges. Engine overheated on the emissions dyno. transmission was toast with reverse clutch pack fractured and spent.

Trying to get this truck dialed in as a retirement reliable towing retirement vehicle. I think I am getting close.

I also upgraded the track bar with the big ass track bar kit. Steers very solid and straight. PO did have a DSS installed.

I am now about $24K into the truck (including purchase price). Still cheaper than a new one and hopefully as reliable. And no DEF!

Scotty B , Apr 13, 2022
  9. GAmes TDR MEMBER

No, I meant 1 ppm per thousand miles on the oil, not the engine. But, I think you are on the right track. When you had the transmission repaired I hope you spent the extra money for towing improvements.

GAmes , Apr 13, 2022
    Scotty B likes this.
  10. Scotty B

Yes, transmission rebuilt with many upgrades by Rob at Maxtorq in Golden Co. He really is a fantastic mechanic and only works on Cummins pick ups.
    Ok, on the iron.

Scotty B , Apr 13, 2022
  11. SAndreasen

What does the Bhaf have anything to do with high or low silicon numbers? Do they just spec those filters for lesser quality filter media ?

SAndreasen , May 4, 2022
  12. GAmes TDR MEMBER

BHAF is a generic term that covers big air filters made by many manufacturers. Some are high quality, most are not. I put up a challenge on the Cummins Forum for a BHAF owner to post a lower silicon number than 10. No one has yet.

GAmes , May 5, 2022
  13. SAndreasen

I guess I better run a sample next time and see . I think a lot of it could be because people just shove the filter with a rubber housing into the rubber intake hose to the turbo if that worked why Is it not done on any piece of equipment from the factory .

SAndreasen , May 5, 2022
  14. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

I would be concerned enough about a high silicon reading to track down air inlet leaks; maybe a badly fitting air filter, something wrong with the pipes that lead from the air inlet, through the intercooler to the inlet.

Does the air filter housing still have the cone-shaped air flow meter that screws in from the top? It's designed to show you when the OEM air filter is clogging with road yuck to the point that it needs to be replaced. From all that I have read from various places, and been told by service writers that would earn a parts commission if they told me different, I think it's best to go by that gauge for air filter condition. BTW, I use Fleetguard filters I buy from Geno's.

Also, some say that it's unwise to remove the air filter and knock it against the bumper or blow it out with air from the inside to remove some of the dust, then put it back on. That's because good-size embedded particles that fall out leave holes bigger than the filter media and dust sneaks in.

I don't know the answer to this one: Does the Silicon oil analysis reading include Silicones? From my chemistry days, Silicon means mineral particles, such as quartz (silicon dioxide, as well as other dust containing more complex silicate minerals that occur naturally in rocks, sand, clay and dirt. Silicone is an organic long chain polymer that contains the element silicon, but shares few properties of the Silicon mineral. Silicone is not to be confused with the mineral silicon. If silicone sealants get into the combustion chamber, they'll "ash" into a silicon compound that's abrasive.

For those that want a good, short read on what Silicone is and isn't, this Wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone is pretty good. The similarity of terms has been driving people nuts for decades, especially when both are involved.

Matt42 , Jun 3, 2022
  15. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Next time get the sample with TBN, it’s critical in determining how the oil is lasting and protecting.

As others have mentioned look for a leak/bad seal in the intake…. Or pick a different filter. What kind of filter is in there now?

AH64ID , Jun 3, 2022
    Diesel Gunner likes this.
  16. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Just curious, can you provide more info on this kit? website or manufacturer. Thanks

Joe Mc , Jul 16, 2022
  17. Scotty B

Scotty B , Jul 16, 2022
  18. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Sorry, was asking about "The bigass trackbar kit".

Joe Mc , Jul 16, 2022