1. gsbrockman

I can’t take credit for this video, but a guy over on CF posted it up a few hours ago.

Original count was 36, until another guy posted there were 13 more on the backside of the storage lot, a storage lot shared by the big three.

gsbrockman , Jul 4, 2021
    Tuesdak, Wiredawg and HPSimpson like this.
  2. RDHamill

where they on a train that derailed?

RDHamill , Jul 4, 2021
  3. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Someone done oops bad

EDankievitch , Jul 4, 2021
  4. gsbrockman

I’m guessing so......too much heat can make train tracks wiggly.

gsbrockman , Jul 4, 2021
    brucejohnson, Wiredawg and HPSimpson like this.
  5. Wiredawg

Wow. I saw a couple I wouldn't have minded having.

Wiredawg , Jul 4, 2021
    brucejohnson, Topzide and gsbrockman like this.
  6. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I bet they will be repaired and sold as a new vehicle when the work is finished. My brother-in-law use to work for Toyota automotive at a facility for the mid-west, that would repair new vehicles that were damage in transport. He repaired one vehicle that had the roof crushed by the car hauler while in transit. When he was done, all he used was a small tube (the size of a travel toothpaste tube) of lead. The vehicle was repaired in less than a week, repainted and sent to the dealer as new.

Jim W , Jul 5, 2021
  7. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

Oooo! Seeing that makes the "parts vulture" come out in me, wanting to swoop down and satisfy potential future needs. (old wrecking yard habits are hard to break:D)

brucejohnson , Jul 5, 2021
    bcbender, JR, Wiredawg and 2 others like this.
  8. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Not much left to some of these.

Screenshot_20210705-113125_Chrome.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Jul 5, 2021
    Wiredawg likes this.
  9. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

That’s a minor scratch . It’ll buff right out… lol

EDankievitch , Jul 5, 2021
    promisedland likes this.
  10. gsbrockman

Absolutely ZERO chance of any of those being repaired and sold.

gsbrockman , Jul 5, 2021
  11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yep, liability is the magic word.

Ozymandias , Jul 5, 2021
  12. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

Cannot sell wrecked Ram trucks will go directly to scarp yard, big time liability isseud!:mad:

HPSimpson , Jul 6, 2021
  13. Jim W TDR MEMBER

That maybe so, but who will know if they were damage in transit. Dealers will warranty anything that fails.

For the most part the damage appears to be sheetmetal and broken glass no frame damage!

I know this was done with heavy equipment that was damage in transit. The vehicle was repaired at a dealer or a repair facility but not at the factory since they were reported shipped. I now know for a fact that "ROPS" that were damage in transit were replaced and the tractor was sold as new.

Jim W , Jul 6, 2021
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You can not sell a that heavily damaged car as new, no matter how good the fix is.
    A simple check of the paint thickness shows any repair in bright light. That doesn't work out.

If they are sold then like they are into export south America to be fixed there - without any liability issues.

Ozymandias , Jul 6, 2021
  15. gsbrockman

What are YOU smoking? :D

gsbrockman , Jul 6, 2021
    HPSimpson likes this.
  16. DHayden

Looks like a new supply of computer chips to me...:rolleyes:

DHayden , Jul 6, 2021
    AnonEd, AH64ID, mfurrh55 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I am not smoking anything.

I just know how the manufactures of vehicles work. I spent 40 years in design and during that time with several machines being damage in transit over the years. My brother-in-law who worked for Toyota automotive for almost 20 years as a painter and body man. He worked at the factory mid-west repair facility. He told me more than once on how the automotive industry works (one of the dirty little secrets) of new vehicles being shipped. As long as their was no frame damage and the damage was under the salvage value of the vehicles they were repaired and sold as new. The vehicles were never tilted so, this could be done!

The Toyota facility had a state of the are paint both that all vehicles went thru after being shipped from the factory. Shipboard, rail and truck transport would do a lot of damage to the vehicles while in transit. So, every car and truck that Toyota built and shipped to the mid-west were repaired and repainted at this facility before being sent on to the dealer.

Jim W , Jul 7, 2021
    Dl5treez and Tuesdak like this.
  18. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

Makes me wonder if those were the "smokin' deals" leader ad vehicles...One only at this low-low price. Better hurry on down...Oh, sorry already sold!

brucejohnson , Jul 7, 2021
    HPSimpson likes this.
  19. JR

That would explain why Toyotas rusted even worse than Dodges of that era :eek::D

20. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Jim is correct, that is done. The vehicle at that point is not titled, simply has an MSO. When they are sold the titles are issued in that state and then it's the standard game that we all know.

I had a pickup that way, bought brand new off the lot from a dealer I know well and had bondo cracks develop around the back window....got smacked and was repaired at the factory is what we always figured....

It's also a matter of custody, was the damage done in the holding yard, done while loading, done after being loaded on the truck or railcar, done during delivery??

It switches at some point in that process to the "Transporter" and it's their problem when damage results.

Transportation damage to any of our inbound units is filed under warranty as "Transporter Damage"....anything from one of their drivers stepping inside of a polished aluminum dual and scratching the snot out of it to a wreck of three saddled up units inbound during a snowstorm. The "Transporter" came and fetched those and we always assumed that they were sold for salvage....

mwilson , Jul 7, 2021
    Dl5treez, Jim W and HPSimpson like this.