Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcace323

Will replacing just my muffler with a aftermarket one do any harm or throw any codes?

Jcace323 , Nov 11, 2019
  2. Wiredawg

Don't see what year your truck is. Mine has a DPF and maybe the SCR is integrated into the muffler. Both have sensors in them. Are you looking for a different tone or sound or is current one broken?

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Nov 11, 2019
  3. Jcace323

Sorry it’s a 2015 . Was just looking for a sound but not full straight pipe

Jcace323 , Nov 11, 2019
  4. Wiredawg

Look under your truck... if there is a direct replacement and no sensors plugged into it, likely no affect since downstream from DPF. As a note, the DPF does more to reduce sound than the muffler. If you are inclined and on the fence about changing mufflers, carefully remove the stock one. You'll be surprised how quite your truck still is. let us know how this turns out.

On my former 2009 Ram 4500, I eliminated the muffler and ran pipe feeding stacks. Still very quiet, slight tone improvement. My stock muffler was actually open pipe end to end with baffles.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Nov 11, 2019
  5. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Technically, there is no "muffler", only emission devices that incidentally reduce sound.

kthaxton , Nov 11, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  6. Newsa

That is true. You would need to delete.

Newsa , Nov 11, 2019
  7. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

You DON’t have a muffler. Before my son did his delete he had a 5” back pipe. It did sound better.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 11, 2019