Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirwin TDR MEMBER

Found a truck (out of state) without the factory installed trailer brake controller. Can I add the factory trailer brake controller if it didn't come with it from the factory? If not, does it still have the plug/wiring harness under the dash to install an after market controller? Thanks Ken Irwin

Kirwin , Jul 21, 2010
  2. craiggo

craiggo , Jul 21, 2010
  3. Grizzly

Whether or not the truck has a built-in Brake Controller, I would still install a MaxBrake Controller. It is far superior because it ties into the trucks hydraulic system.

I have the BrakeSmart, which preceded the MaxBrake, which are the same. I've had other brands before and I can say that the hydraulic interface is a much better system.

george

Grizzly , Jul 21, 2010
  4. HBarlow

I can't imagine why anyone would want to retrofit the POS factory integrated inertial controller.

Buy and install a MaxBrake. Chances are it will cost much less and work 10 times as well.

HBarlow , Jul 21, 2010
  5. Larry Willard TDR MEMBER

Harvey is right, the Maxbrake is the only way to go.

Larry

Larry Willard , Jul 24, 2010
  6. THerber

Maxbrake all the way, you will never be sorry, I have a Brakesmart like Grizz, it was in the truck when I bought it and I could not believe how great it works compared to an inertia based controller.

THerber , Jul 24, 2010
  7. DennyDay

Don't even consider anything else but a Maxbrake I guarantee you'll not be unhappy with it

DennyDay , Aug 3, 2010
  8. SPucillo

I must disagree!

I have a 2010 with the factory controller and it is not an inertial controller.

It uses brake pressure, vehicle speed, and gain to apply the correct braking force.

I planned on using a Maxbrake but after using the factory controller I am completely satisfied. It couldn't work better. :)

SPucillo , Aug 4, 2010
  9. craiggo

Second that!! Can't compare it to the MaxBrake cuz I've never used one (but I would based on what everyone has said about it here). The factory BC works great and I am very happy with it.

Craig

craiggo , Aug 4, 2010
  10. LBARTLETT

I read somewhere there's a problem with trying to add the factory controller to a truck that didn't come with one

something in the computer and wiring they weren't working real well

might have been on another forum

LBARTLETT , Aug 4, 2010
  11. HBarlow

Where does the new Dodge factory brake controller obtain hydraulic brake line pressure?

HBarlow , Aug 4, 2010
  12. SPucillo

From the ABS via the computer.

SPucillo , Aug 4, 2010
  13. BurlesonR

I had the factory optioned "intergraded trailer brake control" in my 05 Ford F350 and it was about the only thing that worked well in the whole truck.

It will be on the 2011 CTD I'm ordering.

I might be missing out on the MaxBrake, but I want to keep this next truck as stock as possible and I hear the brake controller is standard now on the Laramies anyway...

BurlesonR , Aug 5, 2010
  14. HBarlow

Does a component in the ABS system actually sense hydraulic brake line pressure?

HBarlow , Aug 5, 2010
  15. craiggo

I had the same thing on my 2006 F250 PowerChoke. I don't think the one on the Ram is as good as the one Ford (I read someplace that the Ford was a Teknokisha and the Ram was made by Continental). But it works fine when I turn it way up. Maybe I didn't have it adjusted correctly from the beginning?

Craig

craiggo , Aug 5, 2010
  16. SPucillo

I know some ABS systems have pressure sensors but I have not looked in to the Rams system.

So I should have said "I think it is from the ABS". But it is getting it from somewhere.

SPucillo , Aug 5, 2010
  17. HBarlow

TPucillo,

Our side discussion is genuinely interesting to me. I am a bit skeptical that Dodge's new OEM brake controller actually senses direct hydraulic line pressure but willing to believe if it can be determined that it does.

If it does sense hydraulic line pressure, and if it works as well as the BrakeSmart and MaxBrake controllers I will change my tune and become a serious advocate.

It would make my admiration for Dodge grow also!

HBarlow , Aug 6, 2010
  18. stick

I'm with Harvey on this one. I would like conformation on whether the brake controler is an inertia type or not.

Stick

stick , Aug 6, 2010
  19. craiggo

Well I emailed Continental to see if they could give me ANY additional information about their brake controller but, they sent me to Dodge. This would be a great question for "Ask the engineer" or a special article for TDR Magazine if we could find anyone with any knowledge.

On a side note, I know it is the same system that is used in the GM vehicles, maybe we could research the ones in those and see what comes up.

Craig

craiggo , Aug 6, 2010
  20. HBarlow

I have learned on more than one occasion it would be more useful to ask a homeless addict on the street a technical question like this than ask Dodge. The ask Dodge function is simply useless, to be kind.

I would really like to know the answer to this question.

HBarlow , Aug 6, 2010