1. Cody Gamble TDR MEMBER

I bought a 97 storm block p pump motor from a Ford F700 dump truck last year and have been rehabbing it as it was a KDP kill. Looks like the KDP fell out and got trapped be the sidewall of the gear housing, causing the timing gear and cam gear to loose a tooth each. The crank gear was offset about 1-2 deg as well. I replaced all the gears and the crankshaft, new 5x.012s, 60lbs springs, and installed a rebuild kit, added ARP studs and mains…so while swapping in pac brake 3k gov springs into the p7100, I noted metal shavings in the undrained oil. Anyone know if this means the pump is wrecked? Metal is magnetic. IMG_0380.jpeg #ad

Cody Gamble , Apr 2, 2024
  2. Signal73

I believe any oil that is pumped into the P pump would be filtered first. Is there any evidence that any work been done to the pump in the past?

Signal73 , Apr 3, 2024
  3. Cody Gamble TDR MEMBER

It’s a Cummins ReCon refurbished pump but I don’t know if it was refurbished before or after the KDP kill. There is evidence that someone has been in the gov housing ie the safety wire was haphazardly put back… if the oil is splash lubed from the sump it could be remnants from the KDP situation, if the oil comes from an oil passage in the block then yeah I’d think it’d be filtered…Dang these trucks are also old now you have to be like a detective

Cody Gamble , Apr 3, 2024
  4. Signal73

Well they are pressure lubricated from oil passages in the block, which is filtered by the oil filter after it’s picked up in the sump. The return oil exits the front of the pump through weep holes then runs down through the timing case back into the sump. I’m gonna guess whatever work was done introduced the chips. Maybe a shim dropped if someone put Gov springs in it. Once that pump gets spinning it will pretty much mangle up thin metal in its way, there’s a lot of metal spinning around with the governor assembly.

Signal73 , Apr 3, 2024
  5. Cody Gamble TDR MEMBER

Will shavings like that ruin the pump when I ground start it? Going to have to figure out a way to flush the passage in the p pump and the gov housing.

Cody Gamble , Apr 3, 2024
  6. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Your best bet to make sure it is flushed is to take it to a Bosch shop. You could possibly rig up something to force oil through the oil inlet under pressure but I believe that would be a gamble.

GAmes , Apr 3, 2024