Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zb39

I had air suspension on a 3500. Looking to order a 2500 megacab. If I get air does it change the coils I would normally get. I'm looking for the best ride. I will not be towing or hauling with this truck. At least very little. I have other trucks. Best ride is the goal. Thoughts??

zb39 , Nov 25, 2022
  2. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

On the 2500 it's Coil or Air Springs.

No real world on the 2500 Air, I have a 2018 2500 that rides OK with the normal set up, but I also have a decent size lift gate on the truck so it's never "empty" that I think has always helped my ride but just my opinion.

Here are some screen grabs of the Air Suspension and the overview of the system.

Normal Set Up
    Screenshot_20221126_065550.jpg #ad

Air Ride
    Screenshot_20221126_064942.jpg #ad

Attached Files:

Timd32 , Nov 26, 2022
    slowmover and NIsaacs like this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

So, it's a full air spring setup, different then on the 3500.
    First hand 2500 coil spring experience- it is pretty stiff unloaded, not really comfortable even aired down to 40psi.
    I'd choose the air springs always above the coils, no matter what.

Ozymandias , Nov 26, 2022
  4. zb39

So it's either air ride or coil springs. I wonder if carrying capacity is different between the 2?

Ozy, do you have aftermarket airbags on your 2500?

zb39 , Nov 26, 2022
  5. NIsaacs

I have a '21, 2500 with coil springs and aftermarket bags. It is very stable and will pack a load. I don't have #9 in the above diagram, must be a '22 thing. The addition of the airbags did firm up the ride, but, compared to my '01 2500 without bags, it is still a better ride. Before the bags, it was a fine, smooth ride. I find the rear track bar to make the truck drive like it is on a rail. Overall, I really like the coils.

If a smooth ride is your primary goal, I would not add aftermarket bags, even at #5 empty it will give a firmer ride. I haul commercial, so they work fine for that.

1210211400.jpg #ad
    1210211509.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Nov 26, 2022
    slowmover, AH64ID and TomBrady like this.
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Best ride will either be a 2500 with air suspension or a 3500 with auto-level. Either way be sure to set the air pressure for the load, which will take TPMS asdjustments on a 2500 but not a 3500.

I haven’t ridden in a 2500 air suspension, but I have ridden in a 1500 air suspension, and I prefer the ride in my 3500 auto level.

2500’s with coil springs are noticeably stiffer than my truck, but I think still better than my 05 3500 SRW was.

AH64ID , Nov 26, 2022
  7. Benito

I have the first year air suspension 2500- It has been great, (140K miles on it). The ride is good loaded or unloaded but still know it is a 3/4 ton. I think the jump in price is worth it.
    My air suspension is a little slower to react than the new ones but I actually prefer that for loading and unloading especially when all the weight is added or removed at once, (ex. Forklift), as it gives time to reposition if the load needs to be pushed in or moved once the weight is down. There are definitely some "ways of thinking" you have to change when it comes to hooking up and unhooking trailers of all types but even more so on goosenecks or 5th wheels. The difference is really just pausing for a moment to allow the suspension to react. On a 5th wheel I always lower the landing gear it it just starts to take the weight off the truck and then pause to allow the suspension to adjust- that usually makes it the perfect setting to pull the truck out and not have it spring up one you pull off the pin box which could cause it to hit the trailer. On Goosenecks and bumper pulls I do the same initial step, (take the weight off and pause), but then the difference is once the truck adjust then just finish lifting the trailer to clear the ball.

@NIsaacs - The power hop shock was available from the beginning but not every truck has it. Not sure the rhyme or reason but from what I heard it was on the gas trucks and it supposedly added capacity- not sure I believe it adds capacity- additional dampening for the higher payload capacity on the gas models maybe. With that said, you can add it, the axle housing and the frames do still have the mounting bolt holes on top- at least all the ones I've seen.

Benito , Dec 3, 2022
    NIsaacs likes this.
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

The coil 2500 is from a friend I drove it around.
    Like said, it was stiff. The Air suspension can only be better and as a factory upgrade that would be never a question for me to order.
    Also to many Semi miles in my back, first with steel, later with Air and OMG what a nice ride it was on Air.

Ozymandias , Dec 3, 2022
    slowmover likes this.
  9. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

It runs parallel with the ground and helps with wheel hop under conditions where that might occur.

SnoKing , Dec 4, 2022
    slowmover likes this.
  10. slowmover

Remember, boys,

270” WB W-900
    PURPLE Ultimate Seat Cushion & Lumbar
    BOSE Vibration-Cancelling Air Ride Seat
    Truck Cab Air Suspension
    Steer & Drive Axles on Air Suspension
    Trailer Air Suspension.

Now it’ll get them 600-mile days one after another without chronic pain. .

Everyone else needs to pay attention to induced vibration as being worse than some jolts. What actually wears you down.

The ride on steel or air will be about the same.
    But not the transmitted harmonics.

And get back to your high school weight.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    slowmover , Dec 13, 2022