1. RustyJC

I had pointed a poster to the MaxBrake brake controller over on iRV2 and he said that he couldn't find them available on the internet. I did some Googling and found the following on Dutch and Di Irrgang's PlugItRight.com website:

With BrakeSmart no longer being sold by Dr. Performance and MaxBrake apparently Tango Uniform, what's available out there for a brake controller that works off the tow vehicle's hydraulic brake circuit? I couldn't find any alternatives on the internet.

Rusty

RustyJC , Sep 11, 2013
  2. Bill Stockard

Yep, I wondered about that too. I guess I've waited too long. I guess we could drag our old Kelsey-Hayes hydraulic/electric brake controllers we used before anti-lock brakes. I still have a Kelsey-Hayes electronic solid state modular hydraulic/electric controller that worked similar to the MaxBrake. I used it an a '78 Chevy Suburban for over 300,000 miles. I don't know how well it will work with the hydraulic brake pressures of todays disc braking systems.

Bill

Bill Stockard , Sep 11, 2013
  3. jelag

The K-H Units that connect with a tee uses too much hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) and will make the new design master cylinders non-functional... . the modern master cylinder doesn't have enough excess output to provide for the unit... while the Brake Smart and Max Brake use a pressure sensor... which uses no fluid... . Geez... I hope I said it so you understand... .

jelag , Sep 11, 2013
  4. GCroyle

Jim,

Let me clarify, i think you're saying K-H gulps DOT 3, MaxBrake just sips it, right?

I hope MaxBrake is not gone.

GCroyle , Sep 11, 2013
  5. DennyDay

Is it true? Harvey, please chime in here.

DennyDay , Sep 11, 2013
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Sounds like when i trade my 11 Dually for a 14 with air suspension I will have to put my MaxBrake up for auction!

Cummins12V98 , Sep 12, 2013
  7. Dutch & Di

I have the most current information on MB posted on my website but am posting it here.

phone number 337-328-2264

e-mail -- email address removed --

Last contact I had just before we stopped being the online retailer both phone number and e-mail address were working. Hugs, Di

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2020
    Dutch & Di , Sep 12, 2013
  8. Dutch & Di

Ya might want to give that integrated controller a good test before giving up your Max Brake. We will try ours when our ordered 2014 finally shows up but I'm definitely taking our Max Brake controller with us as I am not willing to give it up fer sure!! Hugs, Di

Dutch & Di , Sep 12, 2013
  9. Bill Stockard

The Kelsey-Hayes modular hydraulic/electric trailer brake controller that I have uses a brake pressure sensor that is installed on the master cylinder similar to the MaxBrake with a control cable to the controller located in the truck cab. There is no hydraulic brake line running into the truck cab to the brake controller as the old Kelsey-Hayes brake controllers used before anti-lock brake systems.

Bill

Bill Stockard , Sep 12, 2013
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

My Dad has a 2012 Longhorn Dually. We installed Disk brakes on his HH Premier and had the setting on heavy hydraulic and gain on 3 by the time the brakes were seated. He said they worked seamlessly like the MaxBrake.

I will tow with the factory controller then decide but I am sure the stock controller will work great.

Cummins12V98 , Sep 12, 2013
  11. CKelley1

MAXBRAKE IS still made and available, it will just take a little while to get a new distributor

CKelley1 , Sep 13, 2013
  12. RustyJC

I hope you're right, but I haven't found anything on a number of internet searches that would indicate that MaxBrake continues to be a going concern (example, an inability to access their website. )

Oh, the original poster over on iRV2 called the two (2) phone numbers that have been posted for MaxBrake. He said that one was a residence, the other has been disconnected.

Rusty

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    RustyJC , Sep 13, 2013
  13. K5IP

Dutch and Di,
    You did well by us,
    Thanks and good luck.
    Rog

K5IP , Sep 13, 2013
  14. BILLUA

They did well by me also! I love my MaxBrake and BrakeSmart before it! If I can't use it on a future truck, this '12 may be it :)

BILLUA , Sep 14, 2013
  15. Dutch & Di

I want you to know how much I appreciate your kind words.

Please let me know if you should have any issues with your controller and I will do my best to take care of you. Diana

Dutch & Di , Sep 14, 2013
  16. Joey-D

I just called and left a message. Does anyone now where to purchase a maxbrake controller or want to sell theirs? I sold my old one with my old truck. Really kick myself now.

Joey-D , Sep 23, 2013
  17. p-Bar

If someone had some money they could probably license the technology and repackage the unit (gotta admit it's pretty ugly) the readout sucked but works great , this would be doable .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    p-Bar , Sep 25, 2013
  18. p-Bar

Called a day ago left message no call back as of yet

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2020
    p-Bar , Oct 1, 2013
  19. Dutch & Di

I'm in the same boat you are but maybe the fact that the phone is still functioning as a good sign? Hugs, Di

Dutch & Di , Oct 4, 2013
  20. p-Bar

Still no call back

p-Bar , Oct 4, 2013