Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cattletrkr

When my trailer is fully loaded I've got about 7K sitting on the GN hitch. Needless to say that's a little heavy for stock springs. For the last couple years I've been using airbags to help, but it really hasn't been enough. Last fall I added some hellwig overloads (2 springs) on top of the factory overloads. Problem is the airbags bottom out before the overloads get a chance to do much. I finally got sick of having a whopping 0. 75" of susp. travel before the bags bottom out so I added 2 more leafs per side.

I had the springs put together at a spring shop that does a lot of spring work so nothing would get screwed up. They added 2 springs and removed one of the factory spacers, giving me a slight increase in stack height. I had to do the removal/install at home 'cause they ONLY work on springs. After getting everything back together the top of the tailgate sits about 1. 5" higher than it did before. I didn't measure before I started so the 1. 5" is an educated guess. The spring shop didn't re-bend my springs, the increase in empty height is simply from added capacity.

What did I just do to my shocks? Are they in danger of stretching too far? I'm not worried about loaded height 'cause it squats plenty then. I use my truck as my personal vehicle so the empty running is what worries me.

The day after I did the install, it got wicked cold here. Hasn't been this cold all winter. Now I've got a nasty rear end whine. I've had it before, but it's been a year or so. Could I have lined something up wrong somehow or is it most likely just the cold? It's supposed to be warmer here this week so maybe I'll know by the end of the week. Whine was non-existent before the springs went in. Just a bad case of lousy timing?

I should have taken a pic of the springs before I put the wheels back on. It's a pretty impressive looking stack.

I haven't hauled a full load since, so I don't know what the airbags will do now. Since they're stretched taller empty, they shouldn't bottom out but we'll see. If they do, I'll be taking them off and putting on Timbrens that I've had sitting here for a few years. Had them on for a while but they are god awful rough. Got some softer rubber on the way for them just in case.

Thought? Ideas?

Cattletrkr , Feb 20, 2006
  2. Burner

What kind of Air-Bags? Standard 5k bags? Why would you only hve 3/4 of an inch spring travel? I guess you mean loaded, eh? The wine is probably comming from the drive-line and not the rear.

..... if I may, what are you hauling that'll give ya 7K+ pin weight?

Burner , Feb 20, 2006
  3. Cattletrkr

Yes, standard AirLift 5K bags. Because of the way they mount, they take pretty much the whole 5K before they let the springs do much of anything. That's why the itty bitty little amount of movement. Now the springs have more "lift" so the bags won't be working as hard.

Example from last Monday.

23K of cattle

6K of trailer

approx. 25% of total trailer wight goes on the truck

29K x . 25 = 7250lbs

My hitch is rated at 30K and 9K pin weight, so I'm safe there.

4. GarrettS

I put two leafs per side on my truck, I've been real happy with it

GarrettS , Feb 20, 2006
  5. jwilliams3

Where did you buy the leafs?

jwilliams3 , Feb 20, 2006
  6. p-Bar

I added the "superspring" , great overload only stiffens as weight is added

p-Bar , Feb 20, 2006
  7. CUMMINZ

Added to full length springs

I had 2 full length springs added to the rear of my 2500. They work great.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

CUMMINZ , Feb 20, 2006
  8. Cattletrkr

www.huskyspring.com

Husky Spring in St. Cloud, MN. (320) 258-7777. Ask for Chad. He's the one who took my order and did the work. All they do is springs so they know their stuff. If you looking to do the same thing I did, just tell him you want the same thing that he did for Jake's 04 Dodge last week, he should remember. Make sure you're sitting down when you call, these springs are spendy.

9. geusterman TDR MEMBER

What we need are airbags between the frame and springs (or overloads). That way we still have real suspension and ride height adjustment. I used a Kelderman rear air suspension (modified Type V hitch) that worked good on my 02. Thinking about it again on 04. 5 or that AirLift air ride swing arm... I wish I could find an airbag system between frame and springs. That would just suit me fine. For now I use some quicky spacers between overloads and frame stops. George

geusterman , Feb 20, 2006
  10. Cattletrkr

I hear ya. I think that's called a "mini air ride" on semi trailers. Dad's old grain trailer had that. Better than springs, not as good as full air ride.

That assumes you consider the factory suspension to be "real", I don't. :-laf

If money were no option I would go Kelderman in a heartbeat. Best option available and I'm sure they could build one heavy enough for my use. Maybe on the next truck... yeah, I've said that before.