Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsbrockman

Well, the straight piped life was driving me to drink, so I finally took the plunge and bought a cast iron elbow from a 325/600 turbo off eBay a few weeks ago and installed Magnaflow's #15989 5" Turbo back exhaust system on my 305/555.

All I needed in addition to the elbow was a new band clamp for the elbow-to-downpipe connection. Magnaflow's systems are nice..... they hang right outta the box with no modifications. This system is nice as it also uses band clamps to join the pipe sections together.

Here's a few fics of the installation.

Downpipe at new elbow. You'll need to remove the locator pins on the 4" elbow in order for everything to line up correctly.

[​IMG]#ad

Uses OEM hangers and the muffler is a straight-through design.

[​IMG]#ad

Over-the-axle section.

[​IMG]#ad

Another shot over-the-axle.

[​IMG]#ad

Tailpipe exit location. I see a 6" Flo-Pro stainless steel tip in the distant future (OK, next week).

[​IMG]#ad

Greg

gsbrockman , Feb 18, 2006
  2. WMoroni

Looks good. How does it sound?

WMoroni , Feb 18, 2006
  3. gsbrockman

I can now listen to my Sirius Satellite Radio in peace as well as carry on a conversation with other people without shouting at everyone. Seems as if I had to run the radio louder to drown out the truck, then what used to be a normal conversation turned into a shouting match whilst listening to the radio.

EGT's seem a bit lower, in part to what I believe is more so from the 325/600 4" elbow... . although I'm sure the 5" pipe didn't hurt, either.

It sounds great... . at a normal row of the gears with Attitude on 0, 1, or 2, and light throttle, it's just a tad louder than stock (from what I remember) until you get into 50% or 60% throttle or more. Bump the Attitude on 5 and row through the gears hard and you'll soon see it's not stock sounding but not anywhere near obnoxious. It screams "I ain't stock" without being a nuisance. I like it lots and I'm glad to be outta the straight pipe business... ... I'm 41 so maybe I'm turning into an old fart, I dunno.

The outside air temperature was about 25*F today. Even after a hard romp after getting off I-75 toward the fueling station in Berea, KY. , it didn't take long to get below 300*F for shutdown before I re-fueled on the way home this afternoon.

Now for the 6" Flo-Pro tip... .....

Greg

gsbrockman , Feb 18, 2006
  4. Ten_Bucks

Looks good! You might want to weld that 2 piece tailpipe together to eliminate any possibility of tailpipe drone.

Ten_Bucks , Feb 19, 2006
  5. gsbrockman

Just got my 6" x 15" Flo-Pro polished stainless steel tip in today. I hope to get it installed this Friday on my day off; can't do it at work as we have no welding equipment for stainless steel. It's huge !

Greg

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

gsbrockman , Feb 20, 2006
  6. rjohnson916

That's a nice kit you got there. I think a nice turn-down would look good too!

- Ryan

rjohnson916 , Feb 20, 2006