Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Well, after much study and wishy-washy ness I pulled the trigger on a stainless 5" turbo back system. It's out in the back of the '06 waiting for me to install it.

It's on my rather large to do list for the weekend (If it will PLEASE stop raining!!!).

I hope that the DW doesn't hate it... ... ... ... . :-laf

If it vibrates the dash it won't be good... ... ... :-laf

OEM system has fallen victim to the road chemicals of Maine.

Mike. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2011
    mwilson , May 21, 2011
  2. goodguys75

I used to want an aftermarket exaust for my truck, but after riding in one with aftermarket the droan in the cab succked... and im not old and like street rods

goodguys75 , May 21, 2011
  3. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I am also concerned about the drone, if that is a side effect I will cut the system and install a 5" Donaldson Resonator in front of the muffler.

That should take care of it.

We use only a resonator on straight piped big trucks all the time, just enough to take the edge off.

mwilson , May 21, 2011
  4. Regcabguy

I helped my friend install that exact exhaust in his '05. It droned him to death. The cure was Ca emissions when the cat went back on. All is well now. I would think one of the 5" resonators for sale here would do the trick also.

Regcabguy , May 21, 2011
  5. Wertles

I'm getting the sense that the mega cabs are the worst with aftermarket exhausts. If you look at the sigs of people who complain the most (including me) the mega cab seems to be a common denominator. That extra large back seat is great for some things but horrible for sound deadening Most with my setup are very happy with my setup but I am not, although it is there to stay for good. I went with a 4 inch MBRP, added a second muffler to it and still have quite a bit of drone while towing. Empty is quite nice.

Wertles , May 23, 2011
  6. LRutigliano

Hi Mike,

I had a Magnaflow muffler on my truck (dealer installed along with 4" piping after the muffler). I loved the way it sounded, even when towing. At idle, it sounded like a BB Chev at the tailpipe. No drone when towing or otherwise.

I didn't like the workmanship that the dealer sublet did, so I installed a turbo back MBRP 4" system on the truck. It doesn't sound as good as the Magnaflow. At idle, it still sounds healthy, but just not as good as the Magnaflow. No drone with the MBRP system.

LRutigliano , May 23, 2011
  7. ACerf

I had a Flow Master on my truck for a week... wife could not stand it! Since I have an 03' I wanted to go to 4" exhaust, but with the Flow Master it just wasn't going to work. The tech at Speedway Muffler in Ontario Calif. suggested going to the 36" Magna Flow made for a diesel. Wife and I have liked this one much better. Yes it has drone... but it doesn't bother me. We have driven this truck over 100K with that muffler. The one time that it is really loud, is when I am pulling a steep hill with my trailer. The one that doesn't like that is my dog, but I am sure it would be hard on his ears!

ACerf , May 26, 2011
  8. ENafziger

I installed the 5" magnaflow turbo back system. It was too quiet for me, so I pulled the muffler off and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe. :)

--Eric

ENafziger , May 27, 2011
  9. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Dear God Eric, your level of tolerance is unreal... ... . :-laf

Thanks to all that have shared their experiences, I really appreciate the feedback.

I have not gotten it on the truck yet, that block of time got used for the frozen u-joint in the rear driveline (changed all three while I had it out) so exhaust system is still in it's box in my shop.

We are headed to Canada this afternoon for a long weekend of camping so will start in on exhaust Weds. night.

I have to get that installed, clean the truck inside and out, and service it before heading out June 5th.

Seth and I are going to Warren, Michigan to meet up with others for the factory tour, then down to Columbus for the plant tour.

Figure I will slap about 2500 miles on it before we get home.

Will know by then if it is too loud for me or not..... :-laf

Look forward to meeting everyone that attends.

mwilson , May 27, 2011
  10. Buffalo

I bought Magnaflow muffler along with some reducers & a section of 4" pipe (aluminized) & had it installed. Works & sounds good. However, towing, uphill in the mountains, I do get drone at around 2100-2200 rpms. It's not real bad but, if you are in that rpm range, it does occur. For some reason, I don't notice the drone much & I do tow in the mountains. I must stay out of that rpm range.

Joe F.

Buffalo , May 30, 2011
  11. Bob4x4

:-laf I don't know anybody over 30 that likes the 5" after a few hours of towing

Bob4x4 , Jun 1, 2011
  12. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Well, after 3300 miles of touring I am pretty happy with the MagnaFlow system.

Exhaust temps have dropped about 150 degrees, fuel mileage may be up by 1mpg, bought fuel at Pilots and BP stations along the way so I won't commit to the 1mpg gain until I run several tankfuls of Maine fuel through it.

It does bark when you deck it, worse in an underpass :-laf:-laf

Fun going through Detroit and 'burbs with all the sunken expressways... ... . :D

I have NOT towed with it yet so that may be an issue, will be taking the fifth wheel to Canada in a couple weeks and there are some long hard pulls on the way over, it may growl pretty good then... ... ...

System went on pretty good, had to bend one hanger a bit, all else was spot on.

I ruined a few of the Accuseal Clamps that were included with it, doesn't make any sense to me why they would send steel clamps instead of the stainless ones that Accuseal makes.

I used stainless flat band clamps for a few connections, I think that is a better way to go anyways.

Will report again after towing something with it... .

Mike:)

mwilson , Jun 14, 2011
  13. Jim W TDR MEMBER

How about me I am towing a 5er with a 5" MBRP TBE, on a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab. I love it no drone that I am aware of but we did use all of the factory hanger mounts and isolators. I have towed my 5er since Aug 2009, with the MBRP installed. Have done 9,000 miles of towing with the MBRP exhaust installed.

Oh, by the way I am 62.

Jim W.

Jim W , Jun 15, 2011
  14. Wertles

The 6. 7 is very different than the 5. 9 when it comes to aftermarket exhausts. All of the extra emissions components before the aftermarket pieces really tone it down. I have not yet heard a fully deleted truck with aftermarket exhaust.

Wertles , Jun 15, 2011
  15. mwilson TDR MEMBER

OK guys, this is it.

As soon as I get home from work tonight I will hook onto the fifth wheel.

Will bring it to work with me tomorrow and then leave early to head for Canada.

Going across Route 9 (The Airline for those familiar with the area). Plenty of hills so will see just how bad it is gonna' growl.

Wife is taking her Mini-Van over so she will have transportation while I return to work next week so I will be traveling solo and can really put the pudding to it.

I will probably have the windows down going up each hill so I can get the full effect... ... ... Oo.

Will let you know... am very interested to see how much cooler the EGT's are going to be.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    mwilson , Jun 30, 2011
  16. KBrody

Loud pipes save lives, besides it's fun letting it rip in the windows of the 4 cylinder tuner guys. Or maybe I just don't notice it because I spent too much time on the flt deck launching jets. And I'm also over 30, 43.

KBrody , Jul 1, 2011
  17. DaveHess TDR MEMBER

I have the 4" MBRP turbo back and get no drone at all. I love the deep gut sound when I get on her say around buildings:).

DaveHess , Jul 1, 2011