Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt400

Anyone find good snow tires in the LT255/80R17 size yet?

I see these but the big lugs with little siping wont work well enough for me.

[​IMG]#ad

Matt400 , Dec 28, 2009
  2. MChrist

Discount Tire will sipe the tires for you. I think they quoted me something like $11/tire? May be an option. If they only made Blizzaks in our size...

MChrist , Dec 28, 2009
  3. Mishkaya

I have an '05 Ram QC and run blizzaks on it. They now have 265/70R17 in load range E. Not quite the size posted, but it's the original for me. Love them!

Mishkaya , Dec 28, 2009
  4. Matt400

Maybe, not sure about that. I would imagine the below tire would work better in snow than the BFG with sipping. Might mean going with a little 235/80R17

Traction is most important for me as I may start to do my own plowing but I really like the 255/85R17 size.

I wonder how deep they sipe the tires, if it will last the life of the tire?

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Matt400 , Dec 28, 2009
  5. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Had that tire on our work truck Silverado in a 265. They wore very rough on the edges no matter how often they were balanced and rotated. Ended up throwing them away with quite a bit of tread left just because we couldn't stand the vibration anymore. On a positive, they were absolutely great in the snow when they were new.

jgillott , Dec 28, 2009
  6. MChrist

I stand corrected. . didn't think Blizzaks came in load range E and in our size. I found them in stock size on tirerack.com. On all of our vehicles(except my truck) I put Blizzaks on everything with wheels from them, so I can just swap them out at my convenience. Then just swap back in spring. It's the best of both worlds and ends up being cheaper, too.

MChrist , Dec 28, 2009
  7. SWithrow

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    SWithrow , Dec 28, 2009
  8. Matt400

What wheels do you run? I would like to find another inexpensive set with the correct offset to keep the tires tucked in the winter.

Matt400 , Dec 28, 2009
  9. MChrist

Every vehicle EXCEPT my truck. I didn't think I could get Blizzaks in our size so I didn't even look. Maybe next winter... I bet if you look on ebay, you could find cheap steel wheels for our trucks, or maybe tire rack has something already mounted. Come to think of it, I'll look and get back to you.

MChrist , Dec 29, 2009
  10. MChrist

Dale Earnhardt Jr Dale Earnhardt Jr Cannon

* • Size: 17x8. 5, 15mm Offset
    * • Price: $159 (each) Closeout
    * • Est. Availability: In Stock
    * • Weight: 26. 0lbs.

* • Finish: Machined w/Black Accent
    * • Bolt Pattern: 8-165
    * • Construction: 1pc. Cast

I tried to copy the image from tire rack, but it wouldn't let me. Go to their site, go to tire/wheel packages, input your make/model/year and see what they have. Pretty sharp in my opinion. $1308. Not bad, considering my Nitto's cost $1240 by themselves!

MChrist , Dec 29, 2009
  11. SVick

I just put a set of the 255-80-17's on my 07 mega dually and they are awesome. I have had them in snow, a little mud, gravel, and even on the street. They are amazinly quiet for what they look like. I have not noticed any traction problems on slick surfaces. I ordered them from Discount Tire. I was unable to find any other tire made by anyone in the taller size.

SVick , Dec 29, 2009